Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: William Lane Craig and the Kalam Cosmological Argument

Registered User KillCarneyKlans's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...52#post1138652

OrphanPip
    Punctuated Equilibrium, it is still a form of gradualism, the point of PE has to do with discrete changes in the rate of change. On the other side, Phyletic Gradualism argues that changes in the rate are more continuous and less radical. Although, neither the PE or the PG side is arguing about substantial differences in rates of evolutionary change.

stuntpickle
    Punctuated equilibrium came about because the previously understood mechanism of the gradual accumulation of changes was not adequately demonstrated in the fossil record. My understanding is that the fossil record does not represent an abundance of incremental change that would necessarily surround all the distinct speciation. My understanding is that PE came about to rectify this problem.

Dawkins explicitly defends PE. He usually just says something like "the fossil record adequately demonstrates my theory of evolution" when really the Christian is lodging the same complaint as the PE supporter, and Dawkins knows it but doesn't want to touch it with a ten-foot stick.

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...ins-page2.html
    Can you please re-state your point? Or at least give us a precis of your evidence
    The Bio-info is in Genesis verse 1. Can you tell me how life started according to evolution ... this would take a while.

The structure of the extremely active quatum world, predicts measures of randomness and its variablity, if one chose to 'test' it. Observe = Test, randomness, and variablity. Much like one would have to assume when ... for example, describing a partical wave. If I took this approach I would stress the use of computational gematria, SY, I-Ching, and a binary [trinary better] set that flips 0's & 1's in 32 ways, much like computers. I would also have to include the formulae of the divisibility of 37, which would relate heavily as far as encryption. I would have to link the hebrew equivalent for the word compute, and 'figures of speech' like 'count the number of it' to the text; which i can.

MorpheusSandman
    The problem with God, speaking scientifically, is that it offers absolutely no testable predictions.

[Predictions of where infiniti, PI or God begin or end are irrelevant; the text of the scriptures state specifically state a premise alpha-numerically, if the hypothesis can be proved, its correct ... as far as the cosmos or bio-genesis goes ... this idea doesn't need to be expanded beyond this level]

That's because "beginning" can simply mean "point that time itself began," but that doesn't mean there can't be something natural that can't create spacetime itself. Well, the Judeo-Christo-Islamic religions predicted that God created the universe, even "out of nothing" as I recall Catholics claiming. The Kalam argument provided the reasoning that if something begins to exist it has a cause. So there has been for some time a "theory" within these various religions about the origin of the universe.

[Cause and even retro-causality is it's own reason for being; Aristotle's tree-seed example: everything a tree needs to reproduce itself is contained within the seed ... provided the conditions for it]

YesNo
    The Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, in the 21st century, provided the confirming scientific data that our universe--yes--had a beginning. And not only did it have a beginning, the standard model of cosmology insisted it came out of nothing and so did space and time. So, whatever caused it is not in space or time. Apply the Kalam argument and a core component of the Judeo-Christo-Islamic theory receives a major confirmation.

Although the Kalam argument doesn't give you any specific God, it gives you the existence of something capable of starting off the universe outside of space and time since that was created as well ...Ironically, Krauss is an atheistic cosmologist whose very work is validating a religious position he does not support.

Ancient man looked at empty space (empty space meaning "empty of tangible sensible matter") and they said "nothing comes from nothing" because they defined "nothing" as "absence of tangible, sensible matter" and they never saw something come out of it. This should not be a controversial claim. They didn't realize that there was even a difference between "nothing" (absence of any thing at all) and "nothing" (absence of tangible, sensible matter).

Luke quotes Rees who states: "We’ve realised ever since Einstein that empty space can have a structure such that it can be warped and distorted. Even if shrunk down to a ‘point’, it is latent with particles and forces – still a far richer construct than the philosopher’s ‘nothing’."

I'm not a member of a Judeo-Christo-Islamic group, but I don't mind giving credit where it is due. Part of their worldview, if I understand it, has been validated. It hasn't all been validated.

stuntpickle
    The philosophical concept of "nothing" is a priori and does not utilize the senses to arrive at the concept. Rational discourse is one of thought as opposed to observation. The concept of "nothing" came about within the context of the negation of being rather than observation of space. The concept of nothing did not come about because a philosopher discovered he was swimming in nothing, but rather because he wondered why he and everything else existed.

Let's just go ahead and talk about the elephant in the room. As of right now, the scientific consensus is that the universe had an absolute edge. This is incredibly disconcerting to scientists because the edge is also an absolute limitation of science. Many scientists are simply unhappy that they seem to have discovered an absolute constraint of their own discipline. What has resulted is a wild attempt to turn science in on itself to avoid the edge. String theory isn't even really a theory; it's a metaphysical discussion about some far-off possible theory. Hawking's quantum tunneling genesis of the universe has not come from a necessity of the theory, but rather it is an attempt to avoid precisely what Hawking knows, and has stated, to be the alternative--extra-physical causation. Science is now in revolt against its own findings, and string theory is simply the foremost symptom.

I think I have a grasp on what you stated here. My point is that in public discussions people like Dawkins propound PG as a mechanism, yet they defend the fossil record from the prospective of PE. The reason a lot of fundamentalist Christians argue about lack of transitional forms isn't because Christians are stupid, but because most evolutionists are reluctant to actually discuss the different interpretations of their own theory, as they presume that any discussion about disagreement or lack of unity within the discussion of evolution will be interpreted as a weakness of the theory. I do not think the theory of evolution is in jeopardy, but I do believe that the proposed mechanisms are now being hotly contested.

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...ins-page2.html
    Well, though I would generally agree with you [science] ... [but] the question still plagues them ... also punctuated equilibrium and transititional forms ... but they can't give up on these questions because it's just to important. [It involves the origin, creation, evolution of life]

I've mentioned the Torah has 304805 words ... Does everyone agree Genesis 1:1 states: In the Beginning Created God, the Heavens, and the Earth?

http://www.historum.com/philosophy-p...onalism-2.html
    The subjects treated in Aristotle's Metaphysics (substance, causality, the nature of being, and the existence of God) fixed the content of metaphysical speculation for centuries. Among the medieval Scholastic philosophers, metaphysics was known as the “transphysical science” on the assumption that, by means of it, the scholar philosophically could make the transition from the physical world to a world beyond sense perception.

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...ml#comment1491
    Aristotle regarded the world as made up of individuals (substances) occurring in fixed natural kinds (species). Each individual has its built-in specific pattern of development and grows toward proper self-realization as a specimen of its type. Growth, purpose, and direction are thus built into [this] nature. Science and philosophy must therefore balance, not simply choose between, the claims of empiricism (observation and sense experience) and formalism (rational deduction) ... One of the most distinctive of Aristotle's philosophic contributions was a new notion of causality. Each thing or event, he thought, has more than one “reason” that helps to explain what, why, and where

[The Premise is that 'In The Beginning' everything was complete [in Gen 1:1] and that in Gen 1:2 'the earth became null or void'; beginning a re-creative narrative from the earth's or a person's stand point]

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/...historyid=ab83
    Several mythologies, including one developed in China, begin with the splitting in two of a cosmic egg. The Germanic version begins with a magic emptiness, one of the most characteristic features of creation stories. The Hebrews imagine a first moment when all is void, with darkness on the face of the deep. In Greece the story begins with Chaos, meaning a gaping emptiness. In Egypt and Mesopotamia a boundless ocean sets the primal scene.

[The Dimensioning of Gen 1:1 and the growth and decay constants of John 1:1, also reflected in the decay rate of the ages of the patriarchs which is also based on Euler's formula which wasn't dicovered until the modern age; can be reflected in certain symmetries, such as the Ulam Spiral, other art forms of this type, and symetries of harmony, like musical notation in islamic practice, as well as being seen in mesopotamia in circle, astrological, and time-based forms based on 6, 60 and 360. Far East and Indian forms representing an 8 fold fold path or grid that displays anti-symetries]

Does any anyone here ... doubt ... the similarities or 'patterns' in John 1:1... have mirroring and reflective qualities with Genesis 1:1?. [Euler and PI]

Fritjof Capra (1939 - ) Austrian-born famous theoretical high-energy physicist and ecologist wrote:

"Modern physics has thus revealed that every subatomic particle not only performs an energy dance, but also is an energy dance; a pulsating process of creation and destruction. The dance of Shiva is the dancing universe, the ceaseless flow of energy going through an infinite variety of patterns that melt into one another’’.For the modern physicists, then Shiva’s dance is the dance of subatomic matter. As in Hindu mythology, it is a continual dance of creation and destruction involving the whole cosmos; the basis of all existence and of all natural phenomenon.

In our times, physicists have used the most advanced technology to portray the patterns of the cosmic dance."
    (source: The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism - By Fritjof Capra p. 241-245).

There is a striking resemblance between the equivalence of mass and energy, symbolized by Shiva's cosmic dance and the Western theory, first expounded by Einstein, which calculates the amount of energy contained in a subatomic particle by multiplying its mass by the square of the speed of light: E = mc2.

( Source: Richard Waterstone, " India: Living Wisdom" p.135 )

http://www.christianityboard.com/top...ost__p__145013
    A team of researchers from the Astrobiology Centre (INTA-CSIC) has shown that hydrogen cyanide, urea and other substances considered essential to the formation of the most basic biological molecules can be obtained from the salt Prussian blue. "We have shown that when Prussian blue is dissolved in ammoniac solutions it produces hydrogen cyanide, a substance that could have played a fundamental role in the creation of the first bio-organic molecules, as well as other precursors to the origin of life

http://www.craigdemo.co.uk/bigbang.htm
    One of the most surprising recent discoveries about the universe is not only that it is expanding, but that it is expanding at an accelerating rate. What this means is that extrapolating backwards we find the universe expanding more and more slowly. The initial state wasn't one of maximum acceleration, it was one of minimum acceleration. So, rather than an explosion, the expansion of the universe resembles " organic growth". There is a steady increase in the momentum and energy of galaxies as time passes, which is not just a reversal of entropy, but also seems to involve the creation of energy itself. It seem that the creation of energy and the creation of order are taking place throughout all the galaxies, and this process is the very same process that was responsible for the Big Bang - the creation of our universe ex nihilo.

http://www.craigdemo.co.uk/geneticpatterns.htm
    Previously, Vernon Jenkins, discovered a mathematical pattern encoded within the Hebrew text of the Old Testament creation narratives. I was deeply impressed by the mathematical consistency of the patterns that Vernon discovered and I studied his work for about 2 years, contributing insights now and then. One of the things I discovered early on was the occurrence of the ratio 1: 1.2732, the ratio for a squared circle. This led Vernon to the discovery of pi in Genesis 1. This, in turn, led Peter Bluer to the discovery of e {Euler's Formula] in Genesis 1 also.

The patterns that Vernon discovered in Genesis were very clear and strong, so I reasoned that these patterns were unlikely to be the product of chance, and so were probably put into the narrative deliberately. I surmised that if God had encoded the patterns in the creation narrative, then perhaps the patterns would also manifest in the things that God supposedly created - ie in the living things He made. The mathematical patterns found in the genetic code indicate Intelligent Design.

http://www.historum.com/religion/368...ce-god-43.html
    The problem comes to a head in cosmology where it is hard to explain what happened in the early universe without asking why. It also crops up in the study of our internal, psychological world and in particular in the study of consciousness. Reductionist scientists hover like vultures around this last refuge of the secondary qualities of mind, seeking explanations through physical brain function. Daniel Dennett, with his bold title Consciousness Explained, and Francis Crick in The Astonishing Hypothesis feel that they have achieved this in all but detail. Others are not so sure. However much you correlate brain function with sensations, thought patterns and so on, all you find is brain function. You never find subjective experience in itself. To the atheists this is mere pedantry but it is on this issue, the so-called hard problem of consciousness, that numerous conferences and publications are based. The issue which is still the most divisive is that of the locality of the mind. If, as the atheists believe, it is entirely rooted in physical brain function, then they feel they can forget about the secondary qualities, the spirit and the soul, for good.

http://www.physorg.com/news160994102.html
    Prime numbers have intrigued curious thinkers for centuries. On one hand, prime numbers seem to be randomly distributed among the natural numbers with no other law than that of chance. But on the other hand, the global distribution of primes reveals a remarkably smooth regularity. This combination of randomness and regularity has motivated researchers to search for "PATTERN" in the distribution of primes that may eventually shed light on their ultimate nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_Automata
    A cellular automaton (pl. cellular automata, abbrev. CA) is a discrete model studied in computability theory, mathematics, physics, complexity science, theoretical biology and microstructure modeling. It consists of a regular grid of cells, each in one of a finite number of states, such as "On" and "Off". Cellular automata are also called "cellular spaces", "tessellation automata". Cellular automata have been proposed for public key cryptography. The one way function is the evolution of a finite CA whose inverse is believed to be hard to find. Given the rule, anyone can easily calculate future states, but it appears to be very difficult to calculate previous states.

[For the lack of a better analogy right now, I'll use this example as a means of Alpha-Numeric Patterns of Symmetry]

http://www.halexandria.org/dward012.htm
    In the Tarot, the Fool card symbolizes the Creative Force or Power that initiates and guides the Universe. “The Fool card is actually the God card in the Tarot.” ... Incidentally, 22 is also the number of letters in the Hebrew Alphabet, which due to the Geometry of Alphabets is a highly profound grouping of language symbols. ... One might note an underlying, cyclical nature -- from the emphasis on the individual ... to the cultural/tradition nature ... to the return to the individual (but now on a higher level) .... in each of the Cycles. This cyclical nature is repeated in [Myth], Astrology, Numerology, in the Tao de Ching, and ultimately, in the hierarchical aspects of the [Sephiroth] Tree of Life. It is cycles within cycles within cycles -- much in the same pattern of fractals in Chaos Theory.

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...ml#comment1148
    XIII. THE LACK OF A TRANSITIONAL EVOLUTIONARY RECORD
    [This is for the scientific community, just to make things fair. This is just off the top of my head, so educate me!]

Why? The lack of scientifically backed transistional fossils, out of the [100's of 1000's?] of species; with very few, if any of these puntuatially equilibriated forms being seen. Within each [genome speciation?] varies very little over time and within acceptable parameters. We see species come and go like the dinosaur; but within each biological age the survivors remain relatively unchanged. At certain biological stages we see life almost spontaneously appear, yet some species like the cockroach, trylobite and alligator remain relatively unchanged. We see this going back millions of years.

The answer I'm looking for is the original species, the transitional fossil, and the current or last one?

The Cosmo [PATTERN], the Katebo [kaos], the recreative process [cosmo2bio processes], evolution [bio-environ process], none of which contradict the Bible or science ... Kaos means without form, order, unsubstatiated, kaotic, desolate, 0 a NULL form, without the direct means of ordered forms, the nothingness of Gen 1:2 as contrasted with the completenes of Gen 1:1 ...

Other Sources
    http://www.online-literature.com/for....php?p=1138652
    http://www.historum.com/religion/347...d-origins.html
    http://www.historum.com/religion/347...rigins-11.html
    http://www.historum.com/religion/347...rigins-12.html
    http://www.historum.com/religion/312...lution-80.html
    http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...-response.html
    Last edited by KillCarneyKlans; 05-09-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KillCarneyKlans View Post
    The problem comes to a head in cosmology where it is hard to explain what happened in the early universe without asking why. It also crops up in the study of our internal, psychological world and in particular in the study of consciousness. Reductionist scientists hover like vultures around this last refuge of the secondary qualities of mind, seeking explanations through physical brain function.
    When it comes to spiritual experiences, I think it is in a theist's favor to have those experiences associated with brain functions. This validates that the experience is truly a human experience and not a culturally induced idea. When a person describes an experience it goes through language so a critic can say that there was no underlying experience at all claiming it was all culturally induced. But when one can see a brain function associated with the experience there is no intermediate language involved and this legitimates the spiritual experience.

Reductionist scientists who seek explanations of experiences in the brain are much like Krauss who thinks he has scored some victory over religion by claiming the universe came out of nothing. They are actually validating the religious position.

I started reading Krauss's A Universe from Nothing looking for more insights into the universe. However, I was disappointed. After skimming around, I began to realize that I already knew most of what he was presenting there from other texts and I was amused by the amount of anti-religious ranting he was wasting both his time and mine on in the text. I suppose I could read the book to see how his ranting turns out, but I have better things to do.

My first encounter with Krauss was when OrphanPip posted the YouTube link to his talk over a year ago on a thread at Lit Net. That was the first time I realized that the universe had such a radical beginning. I couldn't believe it--out of nothing! How could an atheist say that with a straight face? Later, stuntpickle introduced me to Craig in another thread. By then I had already read enough astronomy to convince myself that Krauss was right about the universe and Craig was right with the Kalam argument.
    Last edited by YesNo; 05-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntpickle View Post
    1. Craig says nothing can come from nothing.
    And Craig is God so we have to accept what Craig says

If Craig says the universe comes from A, then A has to be something we can detect, or he's just blowing hot air. Do you have you a photograph of A?

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    And Craig is God so we have to accept what Craig says

If Craig says the universe comes from A, then A has to be something we can detect, or he's just blowing hot air. Do you have you a photograph of A?
    I don't think you understand what Craig means when he says "from nothing, nothing comes." He's saying "not anything" comes from "not anything." That is to say that he's suggesting nothing comes into being without adhering to conventions of causality. This is one of the oldest, most innocuous and least controversial ideas in all of philosophy (and science). It's like saying "there's a reason something happens."

The Kalam does not say "the universe comes from this or that thing." The Kalam is simply saying that the universe comes from something with X, Y and Z necessary properties. The Kalam does not aspire to identify or name this something.

Not so surprisingly, we have no photographs of God, nor do we have photographs of logical absolutes, love or electrons, yet we all still believe in these things. Your insistence that all claims must be subjected to empirical verification is an old and entirely refuted criterion of logical positivism. For us to entertain your absurd criterion, we first require that you empirically verify it. Thus explodes your criterion, thus explodes logical positivism. Your demand is best suited to refute your demand: you refute yourself, which is to say your position is self-refuting, self-contradicting, etc. Capice?

The problem with most New Atheists is that they are unwittingly reviving a dead and completely refuted worldview. Yes, you heard me right: the requirement of empirical verification for all claims is less reliable than theistic philosophy, and this is something both atheistic and theistic philosophers agree on.
    Last edited by stuntpickle; 05-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can you tell me how life started according to evolution
    No, because evolutionary theory doesn't address how life started. Might as well ask how life started according to gravitational theory.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-...-universe.html
    Everything that we know about the universe allows for it to come from nothing, and moreover all the data is consistent with this possibility," says Krauss, who teaches in the School of Earth and Space Exploration and the Department of Physics in ASU's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

the question of creating something from nothing is first and foremost a scientific one—as the very notions of 'something' and 'nothing' have been completely altered as a result of our current scientific understanding. science has literally changed the playing field for this big question. The latest physics research into the origins of the universe shows that, not only can our universe arise from nothing, but more generally, the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity imply that something will generally always arise from nothing.

http://www.christianityboard.com/top...e__pid__143052
    The idea is that in verse Gen 1 everything was created perfectly [the 1st perfect creation, the template for everything - how the bio-info - pre-evolution got there], in verse 2 the katabole [The Big Collapse - Chaos], and in verse 3+ a re-creation. [The Big Bang and subsequent Bio-Genesis] [1, 2 & 3 may get mushed together in a scientific view]

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...elligence.html
    Aristotle limited his “theology,” to what he believed science requires and can establish. The influence of Aristotle's philosophy has been pervasive; it has even helped to shape modern language and common sense. His doctrine of the Prime Mover as final cause played an important role in theology. Until the 20th century, logic meant Aristotle's logic.

[I think you' all are missing the point in Aristotle's analogy of the tree ... in the end, the sead of it contains all the info necessary to reproduce itself ... the chicken and egg question pops up here ... what came first ... the template of design from the original ... chicken]

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...d-origins.html
    The human DNA is constructed of two halves. Replication of the two strands takes place when both halves of the helix are pulled apart and then used as a template to copy the original model. The information received from this genetic copying is how replication of the original model is built.

The word ‘replicate’ defined by Webster’s Dictionary means, "to duplicate." The word ‘replica’ defined by Webster’s Dictionary means, "a reproduction or copy of a work, especially a copy by the maker of the original."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation
    Human_genetic_variation The recency of our common ancestry and continual gene flow among human groups have limited genetic differentiation in our species. [Gene mutation though present ... is within acceptablle limits ... which also suggests recency to our original parents ... in that huge genetic variation hasn't ocurred]

http://www.icr.org/article/mutations...for-evolution/
    Carl Sagan, in his Cosmos program "One Voice in the Cosmic Fugue," stated that evolution was caused by "the slow accumulations of favorable mutations." While this may be the current popular theory, real science disagrees. The perpetuation of the Darwin myth clashes with reality.

Paul Davies is a British-born mathematical physicist who's now Professor of Physics and Natural Philosophy at the University of Adelaide. He has written many popular books on physics and cosmology as well as highly regarded textbooks. Central to Paul Davies's ideas is the sense of purpose he sees in the universe and our place within it: "I find it very hard to accept that our existence in the world is something that just happens to be. It seems to me that the fact that the universe is self-aware is something that's written into the laws of nature. Paul Davies is keen to point out that the Templeton Prize is for progress in religion; in order to be able to make progress, this suggests to him, religion does not have all the answers. Science too should be progressive and not dogmatic, he says. Scientists must always be prepared to change their minds in the light of new evidence; that is the power, not weakness, of science. Such an approach brings a sense of humility that tells us we do not yet have all the answers, nor are we not necessarily the pinnacle [of] creation. [or knowledge]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak...ou_b_6105.html
    It's high time to rescue "intelligent design" from the politics of religion [and science]. There are too many riddles not yet answered by either biology ... the Bible [or even other sacred texts] .... by asking them honestly, without foregone conclusions, science could take a huge leap forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_C._Meyer
    In March, 2002, Meyer announced a "teach the controversy" strategy, which alleges that the theory of evolution is controversial within scientific circles, following a presentation to the Ohio State Board of Education. The presentation included submission of an annotated bibliography of 44 peer-reviewed scientific articles that were said to raise significant challenges to key tenets of what was referred to as "Darwinian evolution". In response to this claim the National Center for Science Education, an organisation that works in collaboration with National Academy of Sciences, the National Association of Biology Teachers, and the National Science Teachers Association that support the teaching of evolution in public schools, contacted the authors of the papers listed and twenty-six scientists, representing thirty-four of the papers, responded. None of the authors considered that their research provided evidence against evolution.

On June 23, 2009, HarperOne released Meyer's Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design. Philospher Thomas Nagel submitted the book as his contribution to the "2009 Books of the Year" supplement for The Times, writing "Signature in the Cell...is a detailed account of the problem of how life came into existence from lifeless matter – something that had to happen before the process of biological evolution could begin

http://www.historum.com/religion/375...estion-22.html
    God [if he exists ... and is ... as possible for you to conceive him] wishes you to have life more abundantly ... the human condition, evolution and the material world are much easily understood than say ... the mind, consciousness, altered states of reality, existence or sentience. Basically physical material matter barely consistuients 5% of the universe, with dark matter over 20%, and dark energy comprising a whopping 70+% ... If we were to compare this to earth ... it would be a waterworld with one tiny speck of an island of mostly a vast unclaimed wilderness ... How hot can it get above 0 Kelvin ? [7.2 trillion degrees Fahrenheit]

Keywords: textbooks, schools, education, current political scientific paradigm, applications of ID that "meet the critrea".
    http://www.historum.com/philosophy-p...subject-3.html

Other Sources
    http://www.historum.com/religion/347...d-origins.html
    http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...-big-bang.html

Blog Entries
    YesNo
    My first encounter with Krauss was when OrphanPip posted the YouTube link to his talk over a year ago on a thread at Lit Net. That was the first time I realized that the universe had such a radical beginning. I couldn't believe it--out of nothing! How could an atheist say that with a straight face? Later, stuntpickle introduced me to Craig in another thread. By then I had already read enough astronomy to convince myself that Krauss was right about the universe and Craig was right with the Kalam argument.

Yes, I agree ... my sentiments too

OrphinPip
    No, because evolutionary theory doesn't address how life started. Might as well ask how life started according to gravitational theory.

Exactly ... hence the need to know ... not exactly ... because evolutionary theory must address it ... in whatever form, function or cause, it takes ... or even the real questions that plague science won't be answered ... it's a must, for science, it's the purpose and origins and development everyone's is interested in finding out.

Blog Entries
    No it doesn't, the origins of life are issues of abiogenesis not evolution. Evolutionary Theory attempts to understand how inheritance with modification works. It is not necessary to explain where life came from to look at how life works now and in the relatively recent past.

The origins of life are left up to molecular biologist and biochemist to work out.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

KCK, first I want to offer you a couple hopefully helpful tips. Your posts are very long, which is fine, but unfortunately, your posts also tend to lack a certain unity/direction--an error that is magnified by the length of the posts. For example, you often quote persons in this forum without making use of the quote feature, and you tend to address others in an indirect manner so that your ultimate point is hard to discern. It might be helpful if you tried to be control the breadth of your posts, so that they better cohere.

Everything that we know about the universe allows for it to come from nothing, and moreover all the data is consistent with this possibility," says Krauss, who teaches in the School of Earth and Space Exploration and the Department of Physics in ASU's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

the question of creating something from nothing is first and foremost a scientific one—as the very notions of 'something' and 'nothing' have been completely altered as a result of our current scientific understanding. science has literally changed the playing field for this big question. The latest physics research into the origins of the universe shows that, not only can our universe arise from nothing, but more generally, the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity imply that something will generally always arise from nothing.
    Not only have you adopted Krauss's unwitting equivocation, but now you are also unwittingly arguing against the Kalam. That's no big deal because everything you've stated above is simply incorrect.

Consider the following from the physicist's blog I earlier linked to:

We can now see that this question cannot be answered by any of the methods we normally call scientific. Scientific theories are necessarily theories of something, some physical reality. Equations describe properties, and thus describe something. There cannot be equations that describe not-anything. Write down any equation you like – you will not be able to deduce from that equation that the thing that it describes must exist in the real world. Existence is not a predicate, as Kant memorably explained.

You've got it exactly wrong. Science isn't the arbiter of "nothing"; in fact, science can't even traffic with such. Science requires some physical reality to even get going. Krauss, who may be a brilliant physicist, is a philosophical dullard. He often makes such weird and bizarre claims that he embarrasses himself publicly. For instance, he co-hosted a talk with Richard Dawkins called, I think, "Something from Nothing", and was continually humiliated when he proposed such boners to Dawkins as "Isn't evolution a great example of something from nothing?" And, of course, to keep from looking like a nincompoop, Dawkins was forced to answer coldly, "No." This happened all throughout the talk: Krauss would say, "Don't you think X?" and Dawkins would have to answer "No."

What Krauss is calling "nothing" is really a quantum vacuum, which is something. "Not anything" cannot have properties, and Krauss's "nothing" has tons of properties and tons of applicable theories. This is all unimportant because Hawking actually provided the "nothing" we're looking for.

Of course, Hawking didn't strictly find "nothing", but rather he found the complete absence of physical existence--something called the singularity. The singularity is a zero-volume, infinitely dense thingum, which really describes the complete nonexistence of physical things and the absence of any possible system of scientific measure. What Hawking unwittingly established was that the universe had no MATERIAL cause. What the Kalam argues for is EFFICIENT cause, which is SOMETHING.

Not only are your incorrect statements unhelpful, but they are counterproductive since you seem to support the Kalam but are providing evidence (bad) against its underlying premise (nothing comes from nothing). Moreover, you are agreeing with the logical positivists when you tried to cede authority over the absence of existence to science, with which just about every extant philosopher would disagree.

Also, please consider the following points.

The Bible is not an authoritative text for the purpose of this discussion.

You keep talking about some vague interpretations of the Bible that sound roughly similar to numerology, and the truth is that, regardless, of the truth of your statements, you are ruining your position.

In a discussion, a text is only authoritative if both sides agree to its authority.

The only way I can see you establishing the authority of the Bible to an atheist is to:

A. Beg the question.

1. Either God exists and the Bible/Torah is His authoritative message, or God does not exist and the Bible is not His authoritative message.
    2. God exists.
    Therefore, the Bible/Torah is His authoritative message.

B. Resort to a non sequitur.

1. The Bible/Torah includes startling truths.
    Therefore, God exists.
    Therefore, we ought to take the Bible/Torah seriously.

Evolution is undeniable

Evolution is in some manner an inescapable truth. Antibiotics-resistant bacteria confirm evolutionary phenomena. The equivalent would be if we witnessed, after several generations of humans getting speared in the face, a human with an exo-skeletal face plate emerge. Evolution has proved applicable in any number of applied fields. Evolution gets tangible, undeniable results that are nearly impossible to deny.

This doesn't matter since evolution and God's existence are hardly mutually exclusive. Even Yaweh and evolution aren't mutually exclusive--unless, of course, you adhere to the most rudimentary, comic-book literalism of a seven-day creation and a 6,000 year-old Earth, which would eliminate the Kalam as a possible justification for God's existence, which presumes the truth of modern physics.

The truth is a world with evolution is more mysterious and startling than one without it. If evolution is true and God exists, that means that God created a self-assembling universe that built itself from hydrogen, which is far more impressive than--poof!--there's Adam. The engineering feat of creating a self assembling machine is not only unmatched by humanity, it is nearly inexplicable.

And, of course, this is precisely what current science is telling us. All the formerly questionable aspects of the universe (it's vastness, for example) are not needless extravagances, but rather the necessary preconditions of our own pendant world. This is one of the most startling discoveries of not Christian apologists, but secular physicists.

C.S. Lewis said that believers should not be afraid of the truth, but rather they should seek it. For God is the truth. But so is evolution. We shouldn't run from science because we're afraid it will convince us there is no God, but rather we should embrace science because it can help us discern the truth, and each and every day, science is proving the truth looks a lot like God. So stop trying to resist it.
    Last edited by stuntpickle; 05-10-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntpickle View Post
    You've got it exactly wrong. Science isn't the arbiter of "nothing"; in fact, science can't even traffic with such. Science requires some physical reality to even get going.

Of course, Hawking didn't strictly find "nothing", but rather he found the complete absence of physical existence--something called the singularity. The singularity is a zero-volume, infinitely dense thingum, which really describes the complete nonexistence of physical things and the absence of any possible system of scientific measure. What Hawking unwittingly established was that the universe had no MATERIAL cause. What the Kalam argues for is EFFICIENT cause, which is SOMETHING.
    I think KillCarneyKlans was quoting Krauss, but without the quote tags it is hard to tell. I also agree that quoting the Bible is not relevant here.

The problem with nothing confuses me, but I think your post, stuntpickle, sums it up the way I see it. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something here.

When physicists such as Krauss run out of causes and have no explanation for why something came into existence or happened they are tempted to claim Chance was the cause or the object came out of Nothing. Rather than saying, "I don't know", they come up with a bogus explanation. Since neither of these are explanations, I have capitalized the words "chance" and "nothing" to suggest that these are constructs in some underlying and probably not well-reasoned metaphysics.

In the case of the universe Krauss has run out of everything he can accept as existing that could be a cause of the universe, or even the speculative multiverse. Rather than admitting that he now doesn't know what caused the universe to begin, he claims, oh, yes, he does know--the universe came out of Nothing. He thinks the argument can stop there. However, the Kalam argument tells him that that explanation will not work.

Krauss's Nothing is used to fill in the gaps of his knowledge. It is his explanation of last resort. It is not quite a God since no choice was made by this Nothing to create the universe. Whatever triggered the event had to be that other construct Chance. Although Nothing is not a God, it behaves for Krauss the way a God would. Rather than a God of the gaps Krauss employs a Nothing of the gaps as a denial of what the Kalam argument is forcing him to accept.

I've started reading John D. Barrow's The Book of Nothing to try to get a better understanding of what physicists are referring to by Nothing and see if my suspicions about Nothing are correct. If anyone thinks I've misrepresented this, please let me know. I'm no expert.
    Last edited by YesNo; 05-10-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    In the case of the universe Krauss has run out of everything he can accept as existing that could be a cause of the universe, or even the speculative multiverse. Rather than admitting that he now doesn't know what caused the universe to begin, he claims, oh, yes, he does know--the universe came out of Nothing. He thinks the argument can stop there. However, the Kalam argument tells him that that explanation will not work.
    I agree with most of what you're saying with one major exception. The problem isn't with what Krauss doesn't know, but with what he DOES know. The singularity isn't simply some unknown quantity: it is the structural prohibition against science probing further. He understands that the greatest development in physics during his generation was Hawking's work with Penrose, which basically tracked the universe back to non-existence. Other than relativity and quantum theory, there's nothing more central to modern cosmology than Hawking's work. Hawking's findings do not end with a question mark, but rather with an emphatic exclamation point. It's not that scientists don't know how to progress, but, in fact, know that they can't progress. Krauss is simply engaged in a switcharoo in which he has said "Fine, if they want nothing, then I'll give them nothing." But everyone understands that Krauss's "nothing" and Hawking's are not the same thing.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't matter! If you are an atheist you ascribe everything to nature. If you are a Christian you ascribe nature to God. The tedium of proof is superfluous for one of true faith.

Blog Entries
    stuntpickle
    You've got it exactly wrong. Science isn't the arbiter of "nothing"; Science requires some physical reality to even get going.

1st I never impied any of this ... 2nd, to go straight to the heart of the matter without quoting more quotes The argument goes to the heart of the matter of ... is origens or evolution right? [or both] Are we monkees or are we men?

I know all about abiogenesis, I was just impling that bio and cosmo questions are fundamental to science, they are first order questions ... Who I am, how does life come to be? Where Am I, How big is it, what's it like, etc ... It is the basis for all scientific inquiry
    From a historum member
    Well, though I would generally agree with you ... the question still plagues them ... also punctuated equilibrium and transititional forms ... but they can't give up on these questions because it's just to important.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
    Abiogenesis or biopoesis is the study of how biological life arises from inorganic matter through natural processes, and the method by which life on Earth arose. Most amino acids, often called "the building blocks of life", can form via natural chemical reactions unrelated to life.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evoluti...ife-begin.html
    What are the origins of life? How did things go from non-living to living? From something that could not reproduce to something that could? One person who has exhaustively investigated this subject is paleontologist Andrew Knoll, a professor of biology at Harvard and author of Life on a Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Life. In this wide-ranging interview, Knoll explains, among other compelling ideas, why higher organisms like us are icing on the cake of life, how deeply living things and our planet are intertwined, and why it's so devilishly difficult to figure out how life got started.

http://www.livescience.com/10531-lif...-approach.html
    All currently known organisms rely on DNA to replicate and proteins to run cellular machinery, but these large molecules—intricate weaves of thousands of atoms—are not likely to have been around for the first organisms to use. "Life could have started up from the small molecules that nature provided," says Robert Shapiro,a chemist from New York University .

Biologist James Ferry and geochemist Christopher House from Penn State University found that this primitive organism can get energy from a reaction between acetate and the mineral iron sulfide. Compared to other energy-harnessing processes that require dozens of proteins, this acetate-based reaction runs with the help of just two very simple proteins.

The researchers propose in this month's issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution that this stripped-down geochemical cycle was what the first organisms used to power their growth. "This cycle is where all evolution emanated from," Ferry says. "It is the father of all life." Shapiro is skeptical: Something had to form the two proteins. But he thinks this discovery might point in the right direction.

http://www.freewebs.com/genetics37/geneticamino.htm
    There are 64 code words, but there are only 20 amino acids. Therefore, more than one code word can signify the same amino acid ... Of all the amino acids, only two, methionine and tryptophan, have a single DNA code word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methionine
    Methionine Together with cysteine, methionine is one of two sulfur-containing proteinogenic amino acids.

http://www.whatabeginning.com/Misc/G...enetics_VS.htm
    It transpires that 19 of the amino acids comply with the generic formula: The variety in amino acid characteristics derives entirely from R - the unique side chain. The one exception to this general rule is Proline which has one less hydrogen bonded to the nitrogen of its standard block. Since shCherbak's findings take us further along this route in which the prime number 37 dominates - but only when Proline is harmonised with the other 19 amino acids by transferring one hydrogen from R to B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proline
    Proline (abbreviated as Pro or P) is an α-amino acid, one of the twenty DNA-encoded amino acids. It is not an essential amino acid, which means that the human body can synthesize it. It is unique among the 20 protein-forming amino acids in that the α-amino group is secondary.

All this stuff above ... its all in the Scriptures, the text, in the cosmological constants, in the bio-info, transcendantal numbers, the nuclear decay constant [NDC], the golden mean, the ulam spiral, fibonacci numbers, unusual forms in nature, etc ...

3rd transposing the more complicated scientific view on a simple theist's perspective "that something came of of nothing", that nothingness being space ... hardly requires more thought or evidence from my perspective ...
    What Krauss is calling "nothing" is really a quantum vacuum, which is something.

Is the Glass half full or half empty ??? Hebrew had no zero notation, The Sephiroth does, since ancient times divisions of 1 have been used to the 64th power ... like the Eye of Horus ... which is imbedded in the text, also ... It wasn't to long ago science was calling a vacuum of ordinary space, nothing ... hence the phrase, "nothing lives inside a vaccuum"

Yes, I know ... NDC ... well without going into The Shroud ... http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...94-shroud.html ... which assumes a singularity also, possibly ... I'll just throw that out ... anyways, because whatever form it becomes or cause it assumes is only relative to it nature ... unless your folding time ... all mattter is pressed to infiniti ... data is displayed on its event horizon ... Krauss by your understanding calls this "an Efficient Something" ... There's only a 4 to 5 % material cause at best ... Not every cause is an argument for a designer, if fact there's only 1 [ish] ... have scientists ever measured nothingness, let alone virtual nothingness

As far as the rest, if this is true in sense I have expresed here ... Kalam is correct in the layman's sense ... I not here to evangalize you, I'm just lining up my ducks ... I hope you can better see my position ... I hope I haven't offended you ... I like your engaging style ... I spent some 20 pages engaging atheists, evolutionists, agnositics and theists in conversions at least as difficult to prove ... Thanks for you patience, I'll try to be more precise ... but, this is the same problem I had ... anyways ... maybe a new thread

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5142007AAc2sMi
    If Quatua is a plugin, a means by which things can be manipulated. to fit within design rules, (my words) then it may be possible to harness certain powers that don't obey the laws of general relativity. [This is apposed to a string multi-verse which is more ordered than chaos or quata, but built on these and physical Laws][Photon packet of light the best example/shroud][100,000 years for light to excape from a sun's core to the corona]

http://www.historum.com/blogs/killca...-big-bang.html
    "Signature in the Cell...is a detailed account of the problem of how life came into existence from lifeless matter [ZERO] – something that had to happen before the process of biological evolution could begin. [a-PI-ori]

Signature in the Cell, a big book that methodically, but agreeably, constructs an argument that intelligence in some unspecified form [becoming a familiar term], is responsidble for the bio-molecular machinery in the cell and, therefore, for first life. Meyer's argument is, at its heart, logical and statistical but also strives for a reality check by engaging the reader's day-to-day experience of cause and effect. His long argument is encyclopedic yet lively and persuades that science is at an impasse in explaining the origin of life as the product of undirected processes.

4th - ultimately without solving a higher function component like the mind/body question or conscious, forethought, altered states of reality, being bound by time [the p-NP like problem], etc ... the problem will never be able to be solved
    Last edited by KillCarneyKlans; 05-11-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post
    It doesn't matter! If you are an atheist you ascribe everything to nature. If you are a Christian you ascribe nature to God. The tedium of proof is superfluous for one of true faith.
    At some level nothing matters. Most people aren't going to be convinced by any proof that violates their beliefs anyway, whether atheist or theist. One can always posit a "God of the gaps" or a "Nothing of the gaps" to get out of being backed into a logical corner. Or, more easily, one can ignore the arguments.

Craig's use of the Kalam argument along with Krauss's A Universe from Nothing are parts of a culture war going on now between Christians (and indirectly all religious people) and atheists such as Krauss and Dawkins. Dawkins wrote the concluding chapter to Krauss's book and he wanted Hitchens to write an introduction, but Hitchens was dying at the time. Krauss's text is not so much about science as it is an anti-religious polemic.

So whether the issue ultimately matters or not, it will be interesting to many people.

The core problem is can atheism explain our universe, including space and time, without recourse to some cause beyond space and time? That our universe had a beginning is now part of the standard model of cosmology. The Kalam argument, which is quite simple and which Craig is popularizing with many of the debates he engages in, insists it cannot. Krauss seems to be arguing that we should just accept stuff coming out of nothing without a cause because he can't find one that suits his beliefs.
    Last edited by YesNo; 05-11-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: grammar

Blog Entries
    Signature in the Cell is a joke that misrepresents molecular biology in order to convince the layman of Intelligent Design. It's the same old **** from Meyers about the impossibility of generating "information." Meyers is a mouthpiece for the Discovery Institute who has no respect for intellectual honesty, he deliberately misleads his readership.
    - Margaret Atwood

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast