Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Letters from Hiroshima

Blog Entries

Letters from Hiroshima

Apparently, the mayor of Hiroshima writes a stern letter to other world leaders each time one of them decides to test a nuclear weapon. I thought that was interesting, so I'm posting it here:

http://www.opendemocracy.net/conflic...ticle_2506.jsp
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 05-07-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Banned
    It's nice to see there are some politics left around the world, who have ideals.

Nuclear weapons should be abolished. The only reason they stick around is for leverage against other countries. Akiba is obviously quite aware of this, and is doing his best.

Afterall, when it comes to making a difference, this quote says it best:

"Don't do nothing just because you can't do everything. Do something -- anything!"

A letter may seem insignificant, but it's something. Planting seeds.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty View Post
    Nuclear weapons should be abolished.
    I think any chance of that ever happening should have been thought of before they were created, now that they exist, and producing them can be done by many nations, nuclear weapons shall never be abolished.

It's like a situation were everyone has guns pointed at each other. If everyone puts down their gun all you need is one clever individual to effectively dominate them all.

It also begs the question who should be the first to rid of theirs? I mean, truth is if the U.S has a nuke, and Israel has a nuke, by what right can we say anyone else should not have a nuke, unless the former got rid of their nukes, and there is no way in hell the U.S or Israel would be stupid enough to get rid of their nukes.

But there is one safety aspect, that all nations have become aware of. If one were to realize but a fraction of their nuke-clear strike capabilities the resulting fallout would be transported by the winds and effectively render all of the earth's soil barren for several decades, ensuring equal death for everyone. Of course there have been many men throughout history who when they lost, would not have hesitated to the the world with them, so here is to hoping that the world develops effective anti-nuclear weapon defenses before the eventuality of a unstable man having access to nuclear capabilities. Which looking at Israel and Iran right now, seems not to be and the two nation's zeitgeists, seems to be a possibility rather soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    I think any chance of that ever happening should have been thought of before they were created, now that they exist, and producing them can be done by many nations, nuclear weapons shall never be abolished.

It's like a situation were everyone has guns pointed at each other. If everyone puts down their gun all you need is one clever individual to effectively dominate them all.

It also begs the question who should be the first to rid of theirs? I mean, truth is if the U.S has a nuke, and Israel has a nuke, by what right can we say anyone else should not have a nuke, unless the former got rid of their nukes, and there is no way in hell the U.S or Israel would be stupid enough to get rid of their nukes.

But there is one safety aspect, that all nations have become aware of. If one were to realize but a fraction of their nuke-clear strike capabilities the resulting fallout would be transported by the winds and effectively render all of the earth's soil barren for several decades, ensuring equal death for everyone. Of course there have been many men throughout history who when they lost, would not have hesitated to the the world with them, so here is to hoping that the world develops effective anti-nuclear weapon defenses before the eventuality of a unstable man having access to nuclear capabilities. Which looking at Israel and Iran right now, seems not to be and the two nation's zeitgeists, seems to be a possibility rather soon.
    They are being monitored very closely. Iran would be evaporated after they launch the first one.
    The capabilities you are talking about are already there. Look at military.com to see the arsenal. Antinuclear defenses? Far more than that. That's a weak spot in your argument. All the information is there.

Banned
    They are being monitored very closely.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Iran would be evaporated after they launch the first one.
    True but,

1) the first one is enough to wipe out a entire metropolis and more making the 3000 dead from 9/11 look like merely a scratch in comparison.

2) the nuclear fallout from the destruction of Iran, as I said before, would render the entire middle east infertile for many decades, and the winds would carry said nuclear fallout around the world. So it is kind of like shooting a man with a bullet, except this bullet is like a boomerang, and continues flying around the room for many decades.

The scenario 10 men in one room. Bob has a gun pointed at Abdul, Bob shoots and kills Abdul the bullet keeps going round the room till Bob, Francois , Lawrence, Marco, Chang, Anill, Paolo, Lev and Lee are all dead.

The capabilities you are talking about are already there. Look at military.com to see the arsenal. Antinuclear defenses? Far more than that.
    Yes there are antinuclear defenses, but are they effective? No they are not. Were they truly in possession of effective anti-nuclear defenses The U.S.A and Israel would not give the slightest fuk about Iran developing nuclear weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

True but,

1) the first one is enough to wipe out a entire metropolis and more making the 3000 dead from 9/11 look like merely a scratch in comparison.

2) the nuclear fallout from the destruction of Iran, as I said before, would render the entire middle east infertile for many decades, and the winds would carry said nuclear fallout around the world. So it is kind of like shooting a man with a bullet, except this bullet is like a boomerang, and continues flying around the room for many decades.

The scenario 10 men in one room. Bob has a gun pointed at Abdul, Bob shoots and kills Abdul the bullet keeps going round the room till Bob, Francois , Lawrence, Marco, Chang, Anill, Paolo, Lev and Lee are all dead.

Yes there are antinuclear defenses, but are they effective? No they are not. Were they truly in possession of effective anti-nuclear defenses The U.S.A and Israel would not give the slightest fuk about Iran developing nuclear weapons.
    What makes you think we give the slightest ****? No Iranean missile of the power to destroy a metropolis will ever get to destination. In fact, like I said, they are being monitored closely. Iran would probably be invaded should they intend to built such weapon. And that's the right thing to do.
    You seem to be unaware about the heavy industrial disciplines necessary for such constructs, and how impossible it is to build anything like that in secret. Yet, they must be warned, because there are some crazy cats out there that like to play it that way politically. We tell them the truth in the eyes of the world and don't really give the big **** you are talking about. We are actually very nice to them. We are trying to save them from their own stupid big ****. But the people of Iran, inhibited by narrow-minded cultural considerations, are not one tenth as stupid as their leaders. There will be no second mother of all wars.
    Last edited by cafolini; 05-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The hypocrisy of my nation trying to tell other nations whether or not they should have nukes has always rankled me. We're the nuke capital of the world.

And, damn, I've never seen cafolini so riled up. Looks like you struck a nerve, Alex!

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    My observation is that the West, as a rule of thumb, does not want any nation south of Italy having nuclear weapons. (Exception: Israel)/

Two adjacent Asian countries have nuclear weapons, but they are pointed at each other - which may or may not mitigate concern for certain people not living in those two countries.

Not to mention nano-technological weapons that are in the making. They'll make nuclear warheads of today seem like child's play.

I'm not saying that nuclear weapons can be abolished. Only that they should be.

In a perfect world, the funds that are being used today for useless destruction, could be made to better use in medicine, education, and scientific progress (Of a more practical nature).
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty View Post
    In a perfect world, the funds that are being used today for useless destruction, could be made to better use in medicine, education, and scientific progress (Of a more practical nature).
    A but long ago I lost all notion of such a world, the world I see cannot even conceive to aspire to such an image aloud, unless it is to make a great ironical joke with a group of people.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I agree.

Because of human nature no major power will put down "all their guns" in terms of nuclear weaponry - too much distrust and the political risk is unspeakable for any politician. It will be self imposed limitation going forward combined with discouraging non-western countries from having them. This is unfortunate.

Israel has a microscope on Iran, and the Mossad has been taking out quite a few people associated (even at lower levels) with nuclear development. The Mossad operates with clinical like efficiency with regards to secret operations.