Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Does love all you really need?

Does love all you really need?

Is love sufficient to develop a good person? Are there extra virtues like these thoughts this reader has been having lately like honor is good? What do you say?

J

love is not the answer to Romeo and Juliet and neither it is the bed roses for a better/''good'' person.
    Logic and sensitivity and understanding others and the environment we live in that is the answer to your question.
    The ability to understand the needs of others and get to grips with one's emotions is the at the heart of a better healthier mind. It is not five day and it is not going to the gym that is going to do it, it is about the ability to relate to one another and ensure that our actions are accounted for and not rely upon others to guess or do the mental exercise for us that should make of us a decent successful being.
    Love is the icing on the cake, one is able to love when one is able what one is about.
    So yes only then that love shall triumph and make one loveable back.
    Last edited by cacian; 05-01-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Oooh, very philosophical.

First, we must ask: What is love? I mean, think about it. It's a feeling, and we associate so many things with that word. And many people use it so often that it loses meaning.

Are we talking about.. Nurturing, and caring, and compassion? If so, then, these things seem to be fairly important to the development of a human being. Feelings and emotions are very subjective, and complex. What 'love' is to one person, could be, 'kindness' to another.

Whether people want to admit it or not (Since we've got a lot of introverts here), we're social creatures. We need some kind of community, family, and other individuals to interact with. Is that love? Maybe. Does it matter? Maybe not.

As a Taoist would, perhaps we shall look to nature to understand more about 'love' and 'need'.

Does a bird 'love'? Do baboons, monkeys and gorillas 'love'? Do cats and dogs? We can perceive their actions and ways of expression to mean 'love', but to them, it simply is. There's no meaning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
    Wu wei (Chinese: 無爲; a variant and derivatives: traditional Chinese: 無為; simplified Chinese: 无为; pinyin: wú wéi; Japanese: 無為; Korean: 무위; Vietnamese: Vô vi) is an important concept of Taoism (Daoism), that involves knowing when to act and when not to act. Another perspective to this is that "Wu Wei" means natural action – as planets revolve around the sun, they "do" this revolving, but without "doing" it; or as trees grow, they "do", but without "doing". Thus knowing when (and how) to act is not knowledge in the sense that one would think "now" is the right time to do "this", but rather just doing it, doing the natural thing.
    Maybe I've gone off on a tangent here. I don't even think I really have a point. I'm just spouting out some thought processes around this topic.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Blog Entries
    Integrity (or "honor," whatever) is at least as important as compassion (or "love," whatever). Ever read/watch V for Vendetta?

"Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

...I shall die here. Every last inch of me shall perish. Except one.

An inch. It's small and it's fragile and it's the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it, or sell it, or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 05-01-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    love is not the answer to Romeo and Juliet and neither it is the bed roses for a better/''good'' person.
    Logic and sensitivity and understanding others and the environment we live in that is the answer to your question.
    The ability to understand the needs of others and get to grips with one's emotions is the at the heart of a better healthier mind. It is not five day and it is not going to the gym that is going to do it, it is about the ability to relate to one another and ensure that our actions are accounted for and not rely upon others to guess or do the mental exercise for us that should make of us a decent successful being.
    Love is the icing on the cake, one is able to love when one is able what one is about.
    So yes only then that love shall triumph and make one loveable back.

Love gives a reason for doing it.
    To stay faithful and passionate.
    To not stray with the heart and mind
    To look at another.

When love is lost in a relationship
    All the problems rear their ugly head.
    shad·ow ing

Blog Entries
    Is loving a person enough to develop them into a good person? I would say no.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    What's with the backwards grammar, J? Seems unlike you...

But if I understand the question correctly, no, love is not enough in any instance (just like in relationships so it is with individuals). I'm a bit of a romantic and I tend to believe that love can be an ultra powerful force, but just because someone has love within them, or expresses it, does not necessarily mean that they are a 'good' person or will develop in a progressive, positive way. I agree that you need honor and integrity and some set of mores or values to guide you... but love surely is some starting point.

But this is really a difficult question because one would have to define 'love' and what constitutes a 'good person'...
    Last edited by PoeticPassions; 05-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Blog Entries
    I think love and honour go together. If you love someone without honour you will cheat and abuse them. True love goes hand in hand with honour.

Strength is the virtue I prize most. Physical, moral, intellectual, ect. Strength. I try to be strong and being strong makes the rest easy. When I am weak everything is hard.