Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has religion exterminated human passion?

Banned
    Meh if you wish to rape someone go ahead and get it over with, "sooner murder an infant in it's craddle, than nurse unacted desires"

I think that in exercising discipline and humility, one becomes a stronger human-being with integrity.

Religion has nothing to do with being in control of oneself.

Even if we have an 'urge' to do something, doesn't give us the right to exercise that urge. In being human, we have stumbled upon decision-making and an understanding between what we conceive as being 'right' and 'wrong'. Forcing another human being, or living being, to your will is undoubtedly violent, unethical, and terrible. It is corruption and perversity.

Many atheists have a stronger foundation of ethics and morals than most religious people. In a lot of cases, I think religion just keeps the sheep in line. They would do horrible things if they thought they could get away with it, without going to Hell.

More intelligent religious and non-religious people recognize that acting in violent, reprehensible ways is simply a mark of the insane. People who would willingly do horrible things based upon urges are people who have neurons that aren't connecting quite right, likely due to problems in brain, or moral development.

Let's step back a bit now, and look at basic psychology. A killer, or rapist, when they don't have that moral compass, it may be due to the fact that they are lacking the 'ego'. I believe it's a psychological theory that goes something like this:

'Superego' is the ethics and morals we learn as children from our parents, whether religious or not. The 'id' is the basic urge and desire, and most of it is subconscious. Only the tip of the iceberg is upon our consciousness. 'Ego' balances the two, and decides which we follow when a given decision is upon us. The example I was given in a psychology lecture was a little child in a kitchen wants a cookie. Mom says, ''Don't you dare take a cookie from the cookie jar, because you'll spoil your dinner.'' So the 'ego' goes: Hmm... Well, if I take the cookie, I may be punished, or it's just simply the wrong thing to do. But, if I eat it, my hunger will be satisfied. If knowing what's right is strong enough, then they will not give in to their id, even if they really, really, really want a cookie.

But, if their id is strong enough.... You get the picture.

Without the ego to balance these decisions, there is chaos, and something 'not quite right' in the brain. That's my own interpretation of the theory, anyway.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

First of all I do not know what you mean by human passion.
    Do you mean human feelings?
    Religion just like politics is dated and need to move on. It is procrastinations of the mind something to fill your time keeps occupied and fills you up with secular old and frankly useless problems.
    Ideally none of these concepts would /should last go on because of their very destructive nature.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post

Some of us are bored at work...

J
    What are you doing at work, man? Didn't we make a pact we would never succumb to the toad?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I think the real issue here is that you changed your avatar, Mark.
    Evidently I look better in make-up.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Meh if you wish to rape someone go ahead and get it over with, "sooner murder an infant in it's craddle, than nurse unacted desires"
    Quotation marks don't make a sentence true, or even sensible.

It'd be interesting to have a thread dedicated to finding a literary or philosophical quotation stupider than that one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Quotation marks don't make a sentence true, or even sensible.

It'd be interesting to have a thread dedicated to finding a literary or philosophical quotation stupider than that one.
    I have never considered Blake stupid, but then again the great genius mark has spoken, who shall surley outlast blake.

No problem if you dont agree, just disagree calmly, no need to pull out your dick and wave it about.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHeart View Post
    What are you doing at work, man? Didn't we make a pact we would never succumb to the toad?

Musta been a lie, Doc. JoH has only one real talent, and that's being a dirty little corporate whore.

J

Blog Entries
    I have never considered Blake stupid, but then again the great genius mark has spoken, who shall surley outlast blake.

No problem if you dont agree, just disagree calmly, no need to pull out your dick and wave it about.
    Except that Blake was advocating a blending of reason and desire in the text, the hyperbolic examples of the energetic passion of Hell are not meant to be proscriptive guides to behaviour.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Banned
    Blog Entries

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Except that Blake was advocating a blending of reason and desire in the text, the hyperbolic examples of the energetic passion of Hell are not meant to be proscriptive guides to behaviour.
    Precisely. If Lexie thinks that Blake was suggesting that the impulse to rape is a justification for rape, then it's not Blake or me that's being stupid.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 05-01-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Religion is an expression of human passion. No passion in the Bible? The Iliad? The Koran? The Bhagavad Gita? Hahaha. No, no. Religion is a sublimation of passion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12