Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily quotes

Daily quotes

Howdy folks,

I'm new around here.

I've had the good fortune to travel in India and I have also been initiated into the ambrosial mysteries of India's vast treasure trove of spiritual wisdom.

So I'll be posting daily quotes from my favorite classics such as: Bhagavad-Gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam and Niti-shastra.

Feel free to contribute to this thread with your own spiritual quotes or questions/comments on posted quotes.

I'll start off with a classic:

"It is lust only Arjuna, which is born of contact with the material mode of passion, and later transformed into wrath, and which is the all devouring sinful enemy of this world" BG 3.37

Quote #2

Lord Ṛṣabhadeva told His sons: My dear boys, of all the living entities who have accepted material bodies in this world, one who has been awarded this human form should not work hard day and night simply for sense gratification, which is available even for dogs and hogs that eat stool. One should engage in penance and austerity to attain the divine position of devotional service. By such activity, one's heart is purified, and when one attains this position, he attains eternal, blissful life, which is transcendental to material happiness and which continues forever.
    S.B. 5.5.1

Quote #3

My dear King, the chanting of the holy name of the Lord is able to uproot even the reactions of the greatest sins. Therefore the chanting of the sańkīrtana movement is the most auspicious activity in the entire universe. Please try to understand this so that others will take it seriously.
    SB 6.3.33

Blog Entries

When I lose myself

When thus I lose myself in Thee, my God,
    Then do I see, and know,
    That all Thy universe reveals Thy beauty,
    All living beings, and all lifeless things,
    Exist through Thee.

This whole vast world is but the form
    In which Thous showest us Thyself,
    Is but the voice
    In which Thyself Thou speakest unto us.

What need of words?
    Come, Master, come,
    And fill me wholly with Thyself.

- Tukaram

Quote #5

When a person considers sense gratification the aim of life, he certainly becomes mad after materialistic living and engages in all kinds of sinful activity. He does not know that due to his past misdeeds he has already received a body which, although temporary, is the cause of his misery. Actually the living entity should not have taken on a material body, but he has been awarded the material body for sense gratification. Therefore I think it not befitting an intelligent man to involve himself again in the activities of sense gratification by which he perpetually gets material bodies one after another.
    SB 5.5.4

Quote #6

The Personality of Godhead is perfect and complete, and because He is completely perfect, all emanations from Him, such as this phenomenal world, are perfectly equipped as complete wholes. Whatever is produced of the Complete Whole is also complete in itself. Because He is the Complete Whole, even though so many complete units emanate from Him, He remains the complete balance.

Iso. Invocation

Quote #7

Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong.
    Iso. Verse 1

Quote #8

One may aspire to live for hundreds of years if he continuously goes on working in that way, for that sort of work will not bind him to the law of karma. There is no alternative to this way for man.
    Iso. Verse 2

Quote #9

The killer of the soul, whoever he may be, must enter into the planets known as the worlds of the faithless, full of darkness and ignorance.
    Iso. Verse 3

Quote #10

Although fixed in His abode, the Personality of Godhead is swifter than the mind and can overcome all others running. The powerful demigods cannot approach Him. Although in one place, He controls those who supply the air and rain. He surpasses all in excellence.
    Iso. Verse 4

Quote #11

The Supreme Lord walks and does not walk. He is far away, but He is very near as well. He is within everything, and yet He is outside of everything.
    Iso. Verse 5

Blog Entries
    I've been without internet for a couple of days, but I wanted to thank you for making and all your posts on this thread! I've been meaning to read Srimad Bhagavatam, now maybe I shall begin it online.

Anyway, thank you so much! Please keep up the quotes, they're much appreciated. I'll ask you a question in a few days and I'll also try to post quotes also.

D'oh

I'm going to visit my mom for a week where there is no internet connection.

Nikoli, you're welcome to take over the helm in my absence.

:-)

Quote #12

One who always sees all living entities as spiritual sparks, in quality one with the Lord, becomes a true knower of things. What, then, can be illusion or anxiety for him?
    Iso. Verse 6

Blog Entries
    WITHIN this earthen vessel are bowers and groves, and within it is the Creator:
    Within this vessel are the seven oceans and the unnumbered stars.
    The touchstone and the jewel-appraiser are within;
    And within this vessel the Eternal soundeth, and the spring wells up.
    Kabīr says: "Listen tome, my Friend! My beloved Lord is within."

- Kabir

Blog Entries

Iso verses 6-8

He who sees everything in relation to the Supreme Lord, who sees all living entities as His parts and parcels, and who sees the Supreme Lord within everything never hates anything or any being.
    Sri Isopanisad Verse 6

One who always sees all living entities as spiritual sparks, in quality one with the Lord, becomes a true knower of things. What, then, can be illusion or anxiety for him?
    Iso. Verse 7

Such a person must factually know the greatest of all, the Personality of Godhead, who is unembodied, omniscient, beyond reproach, without veins, pure and uncontaminated, the self-sufficient philosopher who has been fulfilling everyone's desire since time immemorial.
    Iso. Verse 8

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast