Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the raped also responsible for the act of rape?

Is the raped also responsible for the act of rape?

This is a somber issue and yet I often think I should share what I really feel inside me since subjugating the doubt erupting inside me is likely to end up in a repressive state. Sometimes I do not want to blame the raper alone for his malicious act and the victim too becomes responsible since she becomes irresistibly inviting. The temptress in her is overpowering and the onlooker cannot withdraw. It is not always males who rape, women too become rapacious when they find the situation in tune with her urge. I have seen cases old women molesting their young servants.

This is a contentious issue and yet remains one of the must –be – discussed / addressed topics and I think this does not violate the forum's rule to bring this issue into the front

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    No No No

If a woman walked naked down a dark alley, she might be foolish but that would not remove one iota of responsibility from the rapist.
    Last edited by Whifflingpin; 04-18-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Quote Originally Posted by Whifflingpin View Post
    No No No
    I do not always believe in the idea of freewill. Freewill is not necessarily always free and there are some other factors influencing the way we behave. For example if a man is left with a woman alone in a room and the woman is in filmy apparels and he can see some of her private parts through her robes cannot wish away the desire of molestation. He may be swayed by his impulses, kind of primeval desires that led males to aggressively molest women and this is often found in the animal kingdom too. Of course the man molesting the woman must account for the act yet to some extent the chemistry of the external environment and the woman creating the situation must bear the accountability

Invisible
    No No No
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed!

It is absolutely unacceptable to push off the responsibility of one's own actions!
    Human beings usually claim to be different from animals or at least to be the most intelligent animals, so that they have overcome their pure instincts resp. have learned to keep control.

In my opinion the negation of freewill is one of the most convenient (and cheap) excuses for the refusal to accept responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by loe View Post
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed!

It is absolutely unacceptable to push off the responsibility of one's own actions!
    Human beings usually claim to be different from animals or at least to be the most intelligent animals, so that they have overcome their pure instincts resp. have learned to keep control.

In my opinion the negation of freewill is one of the most convenient (and cheap) excuses for the refusal to accept responsibility.
    Is the root of freewill not in biblical sources born of the medieval period by the Christians domineered societies?

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No No No
    Completely and utterly agreed.

This has nothing to do with Christianity, or any other form of dogma - in the kind of situation you describe in the OP, no one sane could seriously argue that the victim is in any way culpable.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Is the question whether we have free will or not?

If we don't have any free will, I don't see how we are responsible for anything, but I think it is more reasonable to assume that we have enough free will to accept responsibility for our actions.

Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    Is the root of freewill not in biblical sources born of the medieval period by the Christians domineered societies?
    No, the root of free will is our sentience.

Nobody else is ever responsible for your actions, and you are never responsible for anyone else's. You can influence or be influenced, but at the end of it the decision to act is yours alone. Even in your ludicrous and appalling attempt above to create a situation in which you can justify rape.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

The impetus is with the aggressor. Sexual predators like what they like. To them, the woman, the panties, the leather boots, didn't the Red Dragon see a 'shine' on the women that attracted him to go attack them? It is all colors of crazy. Crazy people see auras that they can't resist. Blaming the victim is outrageous. Crazy sex perverts sometimes stalk people. I don't blame their victims for being too shiny.

No No No

If a woman walked naked down a dark alley, she might be foolish but that would not remove one iota of responsibility from the rapist.
    I somehow don't think this is entirely true because one is to take repsonsibility for one's action and if one is going to walk in the nude without a care in the world for possibile dangers lurking around then in a way there is a part in this person that is almost inviting danger.
    It takes two to tango.
    This needs be said in case one is reading this and thinking it is ok to walk naked anytime anywhere. Taking care of one's appearance especially in public can help prevent sexual harassement and rape at times.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    No No No

...Or if a man walked naked, let's not be sexist about this.

While I do not agree that the victim is accountable for the act of the victimization , I do not think osho is trying to justify the seducer.

Sometimes we should think differently, coming outside the box. Why theft happens? It is because there is unequal economic distribution. Today's society wherein nakedness is considered synonymous with beauty. Women particularly want to expose their bodies, I apologize to women for this abrogation, and there is some hidden, unconscious longing and maybe this desire is accountable for showing the part of their bodies. Men do not do so mostly. In India for instance girls choose to go out in miniskirts and they want to expose their thighs and they do it in retaliation too since their traditional cultures tried to keep them suppressed. Women in the past or even in most villages are expected to veil their faces. It is vulgar or obscene to expose any bodily parts in public which is never the case with their male counter parts. But today open societies in metropolis are teeming with young women who follow the Bollywood culture like to expose their bodies and fashion designers customize their products tailor-making their clients specific choices. Of course such modern, half -naked women are likely to stimulate their counterparts. And at times this lead to acts of rape. Are not women dancing in nightclubs or in dance restaurants accountable for all that happens there?

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't buy into the notion of the negation of free will one iota. This is the same argument (different scenario) as we had concerning whether Hitler was responsible for the Holocaust. It is the same used by Liberal extremists (and I say this as someone who largely embraces Liberal ideals) to excuse the guilt of the robber or murder who had a tough childhood. Certainly the woman who walks naked down a back alley (or dresses in an excessively provocative manner, acts in an excessively flirtatious manner, and gets drunk at a party) is inviting trouble no less than a man walking down the street flashing a wad of cash and a lot of expensive jewelry in the bad side of town is inviting trouble.... but ultimately it is the rapist or the mugger... the one who crossed the line of legality... that is to be held responsible. I might be stupid for strutting through the "hood wearing an Amarni suit and flashing a wad of cash... but I didn't break any laws.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

It is a matter that needs a redressal. In fact our mental frames are wielded or designed by those preceding us and we are behaving submissively. This is a variant of slavery. We are slaves of the situation and to the few fabricators of the norms and standards.

Think a little bit cooly and unorthodoxly and you become averse we to your previous nature.
    Uiu

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Women in all manners of dress get raped. It has nothing to do with the way we are dressed. It has to do with a sickness in someone's mind that would lead them to try to take something by force that doesn't belong to them.

As for flaunting our assets, some women cannot help looking attractive, unless you're suggesting that we should voluntarily mutilate ourselves to avoid being raped. If a person has a nice figure, that's hard to hide even in ugly clothes or a big, uncomfortable sack. There's no right to rape status that gets activated if someone strolls on a beach in a bikini, or wears a light airy sun dress when it's warm out.

If I saw a naked guy in a dark alley, I wouldn't think to myself, "ooohhh. I want to have sex with him whether he likes it or not." That idea is crazy. CRAZY. I would be repulsed. If any readers of this thread think rape is the fault of the victim, you need mental help. Serious problem.

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast