Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What are you NOT reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonofBathe View Post
    I tried to get through Clarissa at some point a few years ago, couldn't make it past 100 pages. I should have known better anyway, I struggled through Pamela some time before that and barely finished. Samuel Richardson is not my cup of tea.
    Samuel Richardson is nobodies cup of tea. He's not meant to be enjoyed. I remember when I was forced to read some Richardson for university, right at the very first class. Our wonderful tutor explained before that Richardson was horrible reading, but important in the development novel etc, etc. When someone asked why we had to read it she replied that she had suffered so you lot have to as well. Brilliant!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Samuel Richardson is nobodies cup of tea. He's not meant to be enjoyed. I remember when I was forced to read some Richardson for university, right at the very first class. Our wonderful tutor explained before that Richardson was horrible reading, but important in the development novel etc, etc. When someone asked why we had to read it she replied that she had suffered so you lot have to as well. Brilliant!
    hhaha, I think I may be the last living person to actually like Richardson, there is an elegance to his prose which I find to be highly soothing, like a fireplace with a few cackling flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    hhaha, I think I may be the last living person to actually like Richardson, there is an elegance to his prose which I find to be highly soothing, like a fireplace with a few cackling flames.
    Ohhh, I so love an open fireplace. I swear that I would just be happy if I had a big library and an open fireplace (and I didn't have to work). Also the Richardson could come in handy to keep the flames going for a little while longer as well.

It has been about eight years since I had the dentist experience of Richardson, so I will believe you, at arms length, in regards to the elegance of his prose, ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    If the flames in my fireplace start cackling, I'm grabbing the extinguisher and calling a priest.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I started Shogun... but put it aside as I have some tests coming soon, I'll pick it again in my next hollidays
    Le dieci P della saguezza: Prima Pensa Poi Parla Perchè Parole Poco Pensate Portano Pena

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345