View Poll Results: Is the Merchant of Venice anti-Semitic?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Is The Merchant of Venice anti-Semitic?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    No, these truths should not be buried and a play is a good way to show them. I hope your play is successful.

What would you think of a play that said it was a good thing that indigenous kids were torn from their families? Or in some way justified what happened?
    Yes/No there are people out there who believed it at the time - some still do. One of the characters in my play is one of those people.
    The Rotten Apple Injures its Neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    What would you think of a play that said it was a good thing that indigenous kids were torn from their families? Or in some way justified what happened?
    That is an interesting question. What if Shakespeare had written The Merchant of Venice now instead of over 400 years ago?

Blog Entries
    a work of contemporary fiction set in an historical context? Then you might get an uproar!

Blog Entries
    I don't see anything racist with presenting characters who are racist in a story or play. That does not make the play or story itself racist. If you look at the movie The Help about southern blacks in the US during the 1950s or 1960s you will see a lot of racist people and situations portrayed, but that doesn't make the movie itself racist. The movie goes beyond any of the racism exhibited in the characters.
    Don't forget the poetry contests at http://www.online-literature.com/for...s-amp-Contests

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    a work of contemporary fiction set in an historical context? Then you might get an uproar!
    What if the story was contemporary as well?

Blog Entries
    I think if the story was contemporary then it has all the possibilities to expose the truth of anti-semitism. I would hope that people squirm in their seats.

I guess thinking about the play I've written, which exposes a shameful part of a country's racist history among other things, I don't expect it to offer comfort or answers - just a stark aftermath. How the audience deal with that is anybody's guess.

The Merchant of Venice is not antisemitic, by any means. Take into consideration the fact that Shylock could care less about his faith. Judaism and Christianity are both against usury, but the usury laws only applied to the Christians, and the Jews were free to do what they wanted. Shylock is a sorry excuse for a Jew, and Antonio is a sorry excuse for a Christian. Antonio plays the phony Christ character. Instead of trying to defend himself and speak up, he acts pitiful and just takes it. Christ had a reason he had to die (according to the gospels). What excuse does Antonio have? He's trying to act like some martyr, but he's completely perverting Christ's example. Shakespeare is poking fun at religious hypocrites, not the religions themselves.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910