View Poll Results: Gone With the Wind: Final Verdict

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

1 3.33%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

3 10.00%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals!

8 26.67%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

12 40.00%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone With the Wind

Gone With the Wind

In short, this 1031 paged book is great. The long responce is that it is filled with points of view, but mostly Scarlet O'Hara's because she's the one that matters most. When reading this book the first time, I thought Ashley was noble, proud, and strong; I realized how wrong I was when I saw the movie and read the book again. Ashley is a weak man that couldn't handle Scarlet if his life depended on it. At first I also though Melly was stupid and weak, the second time and when I had a discussion with my mother, I realize that she probably knew more about what Scarlet was up to than she let on. Did I mention that Melly is Ashley's cousin? Yes, that is a bit odd isn't it? And of course there is the dashing Rhett Butler who is head over heels for Scarlet. But let's not forget that he's twenty years older than her... In the end Rhett walks out of Scarlet's life because she's selfish and rude, but also extremely hard-headed. Being hard-headed isn't neccesarily a bad thing because that means you know right from wrong and can get your priorities in order. I think she used that quality to get ahead in life to be sure. Anyway, she thinks she'll get him back, but I think that would take alot of work on both their parts because a marriage is a joint effort.
    The minor characters are also an important part of the story because that is how Scarlet comes across her first two husbands; Frank and Charles. We also get to know her beaux pretty well, such as Stuart and Brent Tarelton. It turns out that when they die at war all thier mother cares about is that fact that she's out of horses. And we can't forget Scarlet's sisters; Suellen and the other ones I can't recall right now. Suellen is worse than Scarlet because at least Scarlet knew to show respect for her father when he was going senile and Suellen complained when she found out that she had to help do farm work. She's a little priss for sure. That leads us to Gerald O'Hara, a spitfire through and through. He was loud, but small and had a soft heart and deeply loved his wife and his land.
    In summary, this book is about relationships, love of country, and about loyalties. We can't forget that this story takes place before, after, and during the Civil War. A good book if you've got the time to read it and if you can get past that wild Scarlet O'Hara.

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    Perhaps the first of my all time favourites! 10/10
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Virtual Presence
    The film ends with a line by Scarlett. Rhett has just walked out on her and, after a crying fit, she concludes: "Oh well, tomorrow is another day"! What! Does the book end the same? After all that's gone before I felt stunned that this should be the grand conclusion! I started reading (but never finished) the book the years ago, and it failed to captivate me then. Having endured the movie I couldn't feel less inclined to pick up the novel once more.

I bit through the movie for a class and was glad I never had to read the book..

I have read this book a couple of years ago and it really moved me and the places mentioned in the novel resembled the one I grew in, my small village. And what is more things or cultures are intrinsically not different notwithstanding the fact that on the surface they are.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    When I read this in 8th grade, my impressions were exactly what one might expect from a pre-teenager. But now at an extremely advanced age, I'm beginning to think that both the novel -- and especially the so-called "iconic" 1939 movie -- have been over-rated. It's a soap opera in
    an historical setting, that's all.

I am going to read this book soon and what tempted me to read this book though I have already read it two times is because this book has so many things bearing resemblances to the village I grew up and what interests me more in this book in point of fact that despite the fact that different geographies hold us and we speak different languages and brought up different socioeconomic setups and cultural backgrounds deep down all of us live with the same values and we all are humans before anything else. Our identities as Asians, Americans, Africans, whites, blacks are skin deep.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Scarlet O'Hara-central character of Gone with the Wind

It was a fabulous book. Margaret Mitchell wrote just one novel during her entire life and it became an instant best seller. It was a quality novel.

The central character was of Scarllet O'Hara. After facing the difficulties of losing her mother and hunger, Scarllet wanted to do only one thing- make enough money to tell the world to go to hell.
    She may have taken some sordid ways to achieve her aim-such as marrying her sister's beaux etc. But all in all she had a greater sense of responsibility than Suellen or Carreen.
    Perhaps the worst character was of Suellen. She had no sense of responsibility. And I can't quite figure out why Carreen was so hooked up on the Tarleton boy.

Understandbly Scarllet's high-headedness came from facing the fears of hunger, insecurity etc. She made a strong decision that she never wanted to be hungry again and she was prepared to go to any length to achieve her ambition.

She made mistakes as well. She never really recognized Rhett love for her. She had this illusion of Ashley dashing gentleman, however in the end she did discover what a coward Ahsley was! But above all she failed to recognize the graceful,sophisticated and mature personality possessed by Melanie Wilkes because she always judged her subjectively.

In my opinion this novel gives the reader a lesson to take life as a roller coaster ride and be prepared to face courageously anything that life throws at you. Just like after losing Rhett, Scarllet aimed to earn back his love and devotion and she thought that after all "Tomorrow is just another day!".

I've never been a huge fan of "Gone With the Wind", but I couldn't help admire Scarlett's strength, and Rhett's dignity. Also, I appreciate the immediacy of Mitchell's writing, and her ability to depict the Civil War era in a very vivid manner.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Blog Entries
    Read it twice as an adolescent. Great read!
    Dignity and majesty I have seen but once, as it stood in chains, at midnight, in a dungeon in an obscure village of Missouri. Parley P. Pratt

Quote Originally Posted by isidro View Post
    Read it twice as an adolescent. Great read!

Yes I did and found it amazing

Drama Queen
    Gone With The Wind is America's number one epic novel, just as Tolstoy's War And Peace is Russia's number one epic novel. Some might argue that Moby Dick or Huckleberry Finn are more epical than Gone With The Wind. But I don't think they are. I think Gone With The Wind is at the top.

I first read it when I was 12 and I consider it one of the great American novels.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    When I read this in 8th grade, my impressions were exactly what one might expect from a pre-teenager. But now at an extremely advanced age, I'm beginning to think that both the novel -- and especially the so-called "iconic" 1939 movie -- have been over-rated. It's a soap opera in
    an historical setting, that's all.
    I'd probably agree.

Blog Entries
    People seem to miss the essential point of the novel. The exceptional thing is that it shows a war through the eyes of the losers, the South. It gives insight in the Civil War, the abolition and the rise of the Ku Klux Klan. I would call it one of the greatest American novels.

Calling it a soap is ridiculous. It's better to compare it to Anna Karenina. Scarlett is an antiheroin who isn't interested in the war, but only in the unreachable Ashley. Rhett is a smart opportunist who gets rich during the war and sees through Scarlett.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast