• * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

6 100.00%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: April '12 / Orange Prize Winners Reading: Bel Canto

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    One thing I didn't get: throughout the novel it's being discussed how the police force is digging underneath with the intent to attack from out of the ground; Messner even confirms this as he feels the vibrations under his feet. And then the soldier just burst in through the windows? Or did I miss something? I was drowsy when reading the end.
    I forgot about the police allegedly digging under the ground, yes it seems as if that did not really go anywhere or develop in the end. Maybe after everyone started letting their guard down they did not feel that such was necessary, or I wonder if perhaps Messner had just concocted the story as a way to try and get the terrorists to see the urgent need to surrender.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    or I wonder if perhaps Messner had just concocted the story as a way to try and get the terrorists to see the urgent need to surrender.
    I'd go with this option. It is odd that this point wasn't brought up again when they started to go outside, but they would have noticed some digging happening while running laps around the house.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I forgot about the police allegedly digging under the ground, yes it seems as if that did not really go anywhere or develop in the end. Maybe after everyone started letting their guard down they did not feel that such was necessary, or I wonder if perhaps Messner had just concocted the story as a way to try and get the terrorists to see the urgent need to surrender.
    If he did concoct the story, him actually feeling the vibrations from the work underground would seem an indication of some sort of mental illness on his part, which isn't really out of the question. I wish I could remember where that passage is, but I really don't feel like hunting for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    If he did concoct the story, him actually feeling the vibrations from the work underground would seem an indication of some sort of mental illness on his part, which isn't really out of the question. I wish I could remember where that passage is, but I really don't feel like hunting for it.
    I could not recall if he had only thought that to himself, or made that statement out loud.

If it was an internal thought, well considering the circumstances, and heat exhaustion, fatigue, stress, it is possible that he had begun to believe in his own story and his mind tricked him into thinking he could feel the vibrations, and maybe it was his own way of just wanting all of this to be over and done with.

Or maybe the police had really began to attempt to do such a thing, but than gave up on the effort at some point.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234