Thread: Sonnets by William Shakespeare

Sonnets by William Shakespeare

The diction used in Shakespeare's works has changed. How a poem, or in this case sonnet, is read affects its meaning or interpretation. In this regard, PoetRead provides a perspective on Shakespeare's works that can aid in its comprehension.
    Visit PoetRead to hear Shakespeare's sonnets being read, and follow along with the narration by means of scrolling text.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Deleted.
    Last edited by DocHeart; 04-10-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Unwarranted aggression.
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries
    Please tell me this is a joke! You discovered you do a great Christopher Walken impression, and have no idea how to read meter and decided to make these videos. That's a good joke.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

It's difficult to land a take 100% on meter, these videos are for education purposes anyway. Something to push people into poetry, comments like yours only push them away, Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but you read that without any expression at all, rather like a robot. You said the diction had changed. That may well affect comprehension - more so than the way the sonnet itself is read by the reader. It isn't as if your style of reading will give enlightenment to words which are no longer the height of fashion.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Listen to the other recordings, besides the first one. If you can deny passion in most of the videos posted, especially the ones that come after sonnet 7, then I will never post another video.

Blog Entries
    I randomly chose sonnet 14 actually. Then I cross checked it with my Shakespeare and read it aloud in the kitchen. Even surrounded by unwashed dishes, I could appreciate the difference. Now to be honest, I'm not a Shakespeare scholar at all. I would expect to be moved by the recital of any of his sonnets - as if the reader stood upon a stage capturing his audience with his emotive performance. But perhaps I expect too much.

Don't say never. This is only my opinion. There's the rest of the world to consider remember!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

I thank you individuals for your criticism and will strive to improve the quality of my readings.

Blog Entries
    best wishes Poetreader. I just read Macbeth for the first time over Easter and was quite impressed that:

a) I read it from start to finish
    b) I really adored the poetry of his writing
    c) The plot revealed itself to me
    d) I will read more of his works!

You're always welcome to post on lit-net and discuss Shakespeare's work or any other topic.

Blog Entries
    I do apologize for such harsh criticism (though I do stand by it). What Delta posted I agree with - she has more tact than I. If you wish to progress with this, discover the passion in Shakespeare and let that guide you. The meticulousness to diction is important but must come from within.

The British Library recently released a new CD of Shakespeare "as it would have originally sounded." I recommend you take a listen - while this too is just one interpretation (albeit a very well researched one) it is moving (most of it at least.)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...rd-them-before
    Last edited by Charles Darnay; 04-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...