Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Star Trek

What do people who read literature think of the original Star Trek? I always admired the character Spock because of his logic. Our family has also watched all the spin-offs of that series that are now on netflicks.

The original was not my favorite but I love me some Next Generation!! Followed closely by DS9.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

RE:Star Trek

I also liked StarTrek: The Next Generation but not so much DSNine.

I love classic Trek. I know it's incredibly cheesy, both in sets, effects and acting but the relationshps in that series are just incredible. The friendship between Kirk, McCoy and Spock grew with every episode, with every movie, it was at the heart of the series for me. I always felt that element was missing from the other incarnations. Of course my inability to connect with the other shows might have something to do with the fact that I imprinted on Kirk at a very young and impressional age, I could never accept anyone else as captain.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Blog Entries
    I am a huge Star Trek fan, I love DS9 and the continuity in the story through the seasons. Cardassians are the best race I have ever seen in ST.

I am actually currently re-watching TOS and it's still great. I know the effects aren't as good as in the more recent stuff but it's still awesome.

I just this morning ordered with my brother a lunch box with TOS pictures. I have a wrath of Kahn poster on the wall in my living room.

I named my older dog Spock because Spock's logic is something I find very interesting. My younger dog is named Sisko, mainly because he is dark brown and very cute.

My ex wouldn't let me name our son after someone from ST but I had ideas.

I think TOS was challenging in it's time, the first kiss between a white man and a black woman on tv, the society they portrayed. The ideas, all very current but set up in a way that made it OK to question society.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    ^ Exactly right. In TOS mankind has advanced morally as well as technologically. So much better than all those distopian futures.
    ay up

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Star Trek TOS, was mandatory watching on the old Zenith growing up.
    It was and still is about the only thing worth watching in terms of TV shows.
    A few shows that might rival Star Trek TOS would be Gunsmoke, The Real McCoys and maybe Leave it to Beaver.

I'm currently recalling the episode "The Way to Eden" with the space hippies and Spock's ability to "reach" them. Kirk was a "Herbert"

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Blog Entries
    I so enjoed the 'shakespeare' TOS episode that starts with Macbeth and ends with Hamlet.

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

What did you guys think of the latest ST movie? I liked it a lot and can't wait for the second one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I thought the latest ST movie was good, but not as good as everyone seems to suggest. I find some of the films Patrick Stewart did much better; First Contact is still my favorite. The new one just didn't feel like a Star Trek film to me--too much over the top action, and too much zaniness (big lobster monster chasing Kirk out of no where . . . come on).

I love The Next Generation, but never got into the original series, though I enjoy the movies with Shatner and co. I ,one the idea of exploring space, and Star Trek captured that so well.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Mutatis, the new movie is OK, I can say that now after watching it 3 times. When I saw it at the movies I wanted to cry and this is really a sensitive subject. The Spock Uhura thing still makes me mad cause the Spock I know and love was to logical for love. Also the Kobyatsi Maru test has never been filmed before but they have talked about it and written about it and I was just mad how Kirk was idiotic in that scene.

I have to admit that I am a little bit exited about the next movie, I hope it will be more 'trekkie' and I just love Cumberbatch and I think he'll be a great villain.

on another trek note. They made a trekkie dating site, I don't think I'll sign up for it but of all the dating sites out there this one is probably the best.

The lastest one is my favourite, but honestly, I can see why people would be less than impressed about certain things. It had a lot to live up to anyway. And then there's this: NeedsMoarLensFlare.jpg

I think Cumberbatch will be great too. He seems perfect for the role.

My favourite series is Next Generation...I'm seriously thinking of buying it, but it's so expensive. Maybe for Christmas. I'll see.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Haha, the lens flare thing never bothered me. Abrams got a lot of flack for that in Super 8, also.

It is his eyes I adore janeeyre88's Avatar
    I definitely loved The Next Generation. I thought the cast was good and enjoyed characters liked Data. They just had their reunion this year and boy have some of them changed, though the doc still looks the same. You can watch it somewhere on YouTube.
    "The ease of his manner freed me from painful restraint; the friendly frankness, as correct as cordial, with which he treated me, drew me to him." Jane Eyre

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Idril View Post
    I love classic Trek. I know it's incredibly cheesy, both in sets, effects and acting but the relationshps in that series are just incredible. The friendship between Kirk, McCoy and Spock grew with every episode, with every movie, it was at the heart of the series for me. I always felt that element was missing from the other incarnations. Of course my inability to connect with the other shows might have something to do with the fact that I imprinted on Kirk at a very young and impressional age, I could never accept anyone else as captain.
    I love TOS for the same reason, but also love TNG and like DS-9 quite a bit.
    I must be the only person in the world who likes both Kirk and Picard equally well, though.

I haven't watched the latest movie because I hate prequels and I don't think I'll watch "Into Darkness".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast