Thread: T.S Elliot vs John Milton

T.S Elliot vs John Milton

1.Whose name and works impose more power on your soul?
    2.Whose language is superior?
    3.Who has more biases(like gender bias)?
    4.Whose works are greater?
    5.Whose works tend to assert authority?
    6.Whose works have higher density of allusions?
    7. Whose descriptions are more vivid?

Stupid questions:
    1. Who looks more like a comedian?
    2. Who is uglier?
    3. Who was the bigger bigot when alive?

Answer with justification, please.

My thank be to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Falcon. View Post
    1.Whose name and works impose more power on your soul?
    2.Whose language is superior?
    3.Who has more biases(like gender bias)?
    4.Whose works are greater?
    5.Whose works tend to assert authority?
    6.Whose works have higher density of allusions?
    7. Whose descriptions are more vivid?
    1. Milton
    2. Milton
    3. Milton (per gender bias), though largely because of his time period. I have always seen in Milton however a certain progressive attitude toward women. Sure people always point to Eve's failure--but if you look at what Milton had to work with (i.e. Genesis), it is remarkable how "modern" Milton feels in regard to female status.
    4. Milton!
    5. Milton
    6. I guess I would need to become more familiar with Eliot to judge.
    7. I think they each have a different kind of vividness. Milton for sublime, epic vividness; Eliot for imaginative vividness.

I think that kind of comparison is foolhardy for both were at different periods wwith different value systems and of course both had biases of different kind and as a mattter of fact we cannot come accross any individuals devoid of biases. It is a question as to what kind of bias and bias to what.

Milton had of course bias todards certain political ideologies and T S Eliot was antagonistic to romanticism.

This is trash to think as to who is the bettter in point of fact. Greats both were needless to say in a differet way and in a different socio-political, cultural and economic environment. When I read Miilton' s paradise losty I was really excited by his grandelequent style and in like manner T S Eliot was so grand in his Poem Wasteland

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Apples and oranges has rarely seemed more apt.

Blog Entries
    Tie Milton's ankles together, pin one of his arms behind his back, give T.S. Eliot a baseball bat and 10 free unanswered strikes with it and Milton still beats his *** like he's Mike Tyson and Eliot is Screech off Saved By The Bell.

Next thread will be Bambi Vs Godzilla.
    Last edited by Darcy88; 04-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bambi FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Bambi FTW.
    On a small side note - what the hell does "FTW" mean? Is this horrible text speak, horrible? I'm sure there must be a F*ck involved somewhere, there usually is with text speak, but please don't use it, it is highly offensive and incomprehensible!

3 Who has more biases (like gender biases)?
    This is the greatest question I've seen on Litnet, love it. Does the "gender bias" count as a positive or a negative by the way? Oh Jesus, brilliant.

No personal offence meant by the way - rather, naturally, it is the by-product of PC obsessed literally establishment it seems. I just wonder why holding women, for example, in a subservient regard would count against the writings of Milton from the 17th century perspective. That's all.

Personally I prefer Milton and he is also by far the most regarded of the two. Still, there is nothing wrong with Eliot. Or in liking both of them...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    On a small side note - what the hell does "FTW" mean? Is this horrible text speak, horrible? I'm sure there must be a F*ck involved somewhere, there usually is with text speak, but please don't use it, it is highly offensive and incomprehensible!

For the win
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    For the win
    Arrggh, OK. Neely translate - FTW = I suspect that Bambi would indeed have the upper hand in such a physical contest of wits - much better!

I'm going to now try to blank FTW from my mind because I don't want to learn that stuff more than necessary.

Edit: please no more "vs threads" people.
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 04-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.

[QUOTE=Mutatis-Mutandi;1129924]Apples and oranges has rarely seemed more apt.

This is a fabulous comparison and this is thus that stupid idea to compare the two different poetts running in two different directiions, poles apart.
    Last edited by blazeofglory; 04-04-2012 at 09:47 PM.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

I prefer blind John myself. The other guy is serious but too odd.

Is this like a 20-year-old Mike Tyson vs a 25-year-old Muhammed Ali (or whatever his age was between him changing his name and him going to prison)?
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell