Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Books you want to read, but don't feel ready for yet.

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolescent09 View Post
    I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was 13 but I didn't really care for it and I thought the whole plot was mundane. I read it again this year, and thought it to be a lot more fascinating so I guess back then I wasn't ready to read it, and now I am.
    I'm glad you re-read it. I have never, but I know it is a fascinating read!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Italian83 View Post
    I think I'll be a fixed guest from now on...if you forgive some English mistakes in a forum about literature... ;-))
    I hope you will be. Dante's Comedia comes up from time to time and it will be great to have an "insider's" perspective.

Also, The Decameron is unfortunately unknown to many, despite the fact that it is an and incredible collection, and incredibly funny.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I hope you will be. Dante's Comedia comes up from time to time and it will be great to have an "insider's" perspective.

Also, The Decameron is unfortunately unknown to many, despite the fact that it is an and incredible collection, and incredibly funny.
    I'll remember that. It's on my shelf waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    One word: Ulysses. I treid reading it a couple years ago and wasnt ready, and I don't think I am still, but I'm getting closer. Maybe next year.

And you should try The Divine Comedy. It's not that difficult.
    As for "Ulysses"... I don't find it as difficult as Pynchon's works have been for me, but the only thing is paying close attention to its stream-of-consciousness narrative and how its prose is trying to emulate a sense of human consciousness.

I'm afraid of "Finnegan's Wake", though.
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons. I read this book years ago, and it is the first (and so far only) book to make me cry to the point where I couldn't read anything for days.

I thought I was ready to read it again, but not at all. It sits by my bed waiting to be cracked open and that is where its going to stay.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456