View Poll Results: The Hunger Games

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

1 10.00%
  • ** Take a nap insead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

2 20.00%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

4 40.00%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games (discussion welcome and wanted)

Blog Entries
    I personally liked Battle Royale more than the Hunger Games. I don't really see how they're that comparable other than the children vs children death fight, and the totalitarian governments.

Those aren't very key elements are they?

Blog Entries
    I'm interested to read about what people think. I know the movie is being released and the review on NPR panned it, but said the book was flawless.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can see people liking, even loving, the book, but anyone who finds the book flawless was reading it with blinders on.

I read the first book and thought it wasn't too awful, but not good. I'm not interested in reading the others or watching the movie. While reading the book I got the feeling it was really intended to be a movie. I think when books are written with the purpose of becoming movies the writing style takes a back seat.
    I like poetry,long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

archivist extraordinaire AlysonofBathe's Avatar
    I'm not too sure Collins would have expected them to be made into movies; I mean, for every major mainstream success in YA publishing, there are thousands and thousands of failures.

And the writing taking a backseat? Well, this isn't exactly high literature, it's just a story written for teens, with maybe a little social commentary thrown in for good measure. I don't fault it for not being particularly literary, that's simply not the genre.

That being said, I do think it will translate well into a movie.
    Alyson of Bathe's feeble attempt at completing the 1001 books challenge. You would think a former English major would have a better start than this. For the Reading.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, Collins wrote for TV, and she is able to keep the plots moving along quite swiftly.

I read the first one last fall, saw the movie last weekend, and finished the second one this weekend. I really like Katniss; she's a more noble, albeit flawed human being, than she gives herself credit for.

I do like the slight social commentary on reality TV. For the most part I find it degrading.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just saw the movie. I liked it more than the book, actually. I liked how they gave perspective outside of Katniss while the games were going on.

I like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I just saw the movie. I liked it more than the book, actually. I liked how they gave perspective outside of Katniss while the games were going on.
    I thought the movie was great too, but I was surprised that they didn't include as much of Katniss's 'romantic dilemma' as was included in the book (this doesn't bother me too much as I wasn't too big on the 'teenage romance' anyway), but it is what it is.

Although, it has been awhile since I've read the first of the series. I don't remember if the romantic dilemma didn't heat up until the second book...
    "dying is what the living do,
    dying is what the loving do,
    and the dead dogs are those that do not know
    that dying is what, to live, each has to do."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoon25 View Post
    I thought the movie was great too, but I was surprised that they didn't include as much of Katniss's 'romantic dilemma' as was included in the book (this doesn't bother me too much as I wasn't too big on the 'teenage romance' anyway), but it is what it is.

Although, it has been awhile since I've read the first of the series. I don't remember if the romantic dilemma didn't heat up until the second book...
    If by "heat up" you mean sex, then no, Katniss didn't do anything beyond kissing and snuggling in the first book.

Blog Entries
    It is YA, which means that its hard to really compare to adult fiction. It should be compared to YA fiction along a similar vein. The most obvious to me is Harry Potter. But the Potter series does not have a strong female character. Cynthia Voigt is a talented YA writer. She wrote a book called Dicey's Song, which has a dysfunctional strong female lead character. The problem I find with this book is the setting is often ugly; it lacks any poetic qualities.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read it, but I always assumed Hermoine was supposed to be a trong female character, or is she portrayed like the stereotypical helpless female?

I thought it was enjoyable. Not a scathing political commentary or anything- in fact, quite innocent (all Classical allusions and Scouting trips in the woods).

Blog Entries
    I meant as the main character. Yes, you are correct that Hermoine is a very strong female character. Sorry, should be more precise!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast