Thread: Infinity and Eternity?

Infinity and Eternity?

are they the same or do they correlate?
    In other word
    can infinity be without eternity and vice versa?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I see Infinity as a a continuance of time, that Infinity has a begginning but has no end. Whereas Eternity has neither begginning or end,...
    So when life is spent for an infinite amount of time one will never feel eternity.
    Becuase eternity is the feeling that there was no before, and that there will never be an end. I imagine this is how two lovers feel, they feel that their love is stronger than anything and can overcome any obstacle, that there love somehow was always there that there was never a doubt in there existence that they were always together (even before it was so ie: soulmates). So yes i believe they correlate and theoretically one can be without the other... But becuase of human nature when it concerns emotions, there will always be both an eternity and infinity in life.
    "Bleak times beckon dark decisions..." -Thomas Novosel 3/24/2012

Blog Entries
    My opinion is that they are both the same, but one (eternity) is temporal whereas the other (infinity) is numerical/spacial. Eternity is also often relegated to the poetic, while infinity is mathematical.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

I have a rock infinite in size, yet it is not eternal, it can exist for only a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    My opinion is that they are both the same, but one (eternity) is temporal whereas the other (infinity) is numerical/spacial. Eternity is also often relegated to the poetic, while infinity is mathematical.
    Interesting I thought that too but then infinity is related to Maths but it seens to contradict the 'exact' nature of it for Maths is an exact science and infinity does not do it justice because it contradicts what exact means.
    Infinity means ongoing non stop but 1+1= 2 is exact and stops there.

Eternity from eternal is which is a word derives from the word 'terre' which mean earth and eternity is relating to it.

Infinity derives from finis/finish and suggests its opposite meaning as in non stop.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    First, not all math is "exact" - infinite sets of numbers is integral for certain aspects of math (and economics)

Your etymology of "eternal" is incorrect. eternal comes from aeternus, meaning everlasting in Latin. I don't think it has anything to do with "terra"
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    First, not all math is "exact" - infinite sets of numbers is integral for certain aspects of math (and economics)
    I am only going with what the definition says that maths is an exact science and to bring in infinity makes it the total opposite.
    I would argue this definition if maths is now not all exact.
    Your etymology of "eternal" is incorrect. eternal comes from aeternus, meaning everlasting in Latin. I don't think it has anything to do with "terra"
    Humm..I think the word terre is there 'eternal'.
    This is how I see it.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly