Thread: Greetings from Toronto

archivist extraordinaire AlysonofBathe's Avatar

Greetings from Toronto

Hello everyone,

I'm Alyson - avid reader, writer, blogger, coffee enthusiast, Trekkie, and crazy cat lady. I'm a graduate student, former English major with a specialization in middle English, and a part-time archivist. I read a lot, and I tend to switch up the genre, but I have a particular love for science fiction.

I'm currently working on the 1001 books challenge. Anyone else here partake?

Cheers,
    Alyson
    Alyson of Bathe's feeble attempt at completing the 1001 books challenge. You would think a former English major would have a better start than this. For the Reading.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to litnet.

Wow, a lot of similar interests. Sci-Fi is prolly my fave genre (I'm a sucker for the short-story form and any Sci-Fi movie gets my attention); followed by fantasy (I'm a J. R. R. Tolkien fan). My wife and I are down to 10 cats: Taffy-Doodles, Odie, Snoball, Tiger (Tai-Tai), Scooter, Geri, Spooky, Smoke (Moke), Animal (think Def Leppard), and Friskie. I don't do the coffee thing (LDS), but I love a good hot chocolate (or any chocolate for that matter. I write a bit (poetry) http://tailor-stately.110mb.com/ and used to blog; and even have friends from church (retired couple) going to Toronto for a two-year mission very soon!

Not sure of the 1001 challenge (will have to research). Currently reading Final Harvest by Thomas H. Johnson which is a selection of Emily Dickinson's poems (I go back often to dear Emily to re-energize); and perusing a selection of poems from Poetry on Record, Rebekah Presson Mosby, which is includes a book and CD's.

Hope to see you posting in the Games and Poetry and Poetry contests forums ??

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Hey there,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I too love SF short stories - Ken Liu and Ted Chiang are among my favorite contemporaries, but of course good old Ray Bradbury is always excellent.

That is a lot of cats! I have one Persian, Simone - named for Simone de Beauvoir, because I nerd out like that. Lovely poems

1001 books - a massive compiled list of works thought to be the most influential, historical and contemporary. It's a bit of a beast.

Unfortunately, my poetry is nonexistent - I tend to stick to prose, specifically of the literary theory variety.

Cheers,
    Alyson
    Alyson of Bathe's feeble attempt at completing the 1001 books challenge. You would think a former English major would have a better start than this. For the Reading.

Blog Entries
    Welcome fellow Torontonian, I must say I find it interesting that your focus of study is Middle English and yet you're an avid SF reader: you don't see the two blending that often (or do you, you probably know better than I do on this?)

I looked at the 1001 book challenge and there are some great stuff on the list...I just couldn't commit myself to something like that - my reading habits are too sporadic.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Hi Charles,

Yay for the TDot.

Middle English and SF are definitely very different genres, although once you get past the secular Chaucer, a lot of medieval anchorite writing is pretty damn spacey.

I read constantly, so I figured I may as well start reading towards a certain goal. Some of the books are going to be pretty challenging, but we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
    Alyson

Hello Alyson, my name is Maria. Welcome to the forums! Very interesting introduction of yours.

I consider myself an amateur in literature because the first 20 years of my life were spent in a very different matter (I'm 24 now), but I'm on my way to learn and read as much as I can, I like to believe is never too late.

Also I have a cat, his name is Chaucer (hah!)

Currently I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 100 years of solitude (in Spanish, of course, oh! I'm Mexican), not SF but Magical Realism which I find genius and fun.

Anyway, would be amazing to hear more from you and get to know you better.

Welcome again.

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the welcome - everyone on here has been so nice

At 24? Of course it's not too late! I'm 23, and while I'm educated in literature, it's such a HUGE topic, we're all beginners I think.

That's so funny - I wanted to name my cat Chaucer! But I settled on Simone because she's a girl.

Cheers,
    Alyson