Thread: Foils:comparing and contrasting?

Foils:comparing and contrasting?

In the Merchant of Venice, Nerissa, Portia, and Jessica are foils. I need to compare and contrast each to the others. How are they foils for each-other?

I have some info on Portia and Nerissa, but require info on a foil relationship between: Nerrisa/Jessica,and Portia/Jessica.

If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated, as I am on a short timeline, and require aid in this matter asap.

Thanks,
    Elbazzz

Please help.

Blog Entries
    What specificaly have you got so far? I could try to point you in the right direction. Of course if you just want someone to do he work for you, look elsewhere.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

I thank you. Here's what I have, and its long, so please bare with me. Its not that I'm trying to dodge responsibility or work, rather, that, I have not seen mention, or cannot detect a foil between Jessica and Portia and Nerissa and Jessica, whereas the foil is pretty clear in the case of Portia and Nerissa. If you can assist me with the former, it would be greatly appreciated, and is much needed.

On the most basic level, Portia and Nerissa can be seen as foils, in that neither are common folk, or are shown to have parents. They differ in their status, maturity, clarity of mind, and the fact that one (Nerissa) immediately takes the words of a more knowledgeable and experienced parent to heart, while it takes time for the truth to sink in the case of the other(Portia). On a more substantial level, we can shadow their relationships with men.
    On that note, we can almost literally compare, or “shadow” the relationship of Nerissa and Gratiano, with that of Portia and Bassanio. No sooner does Bassanio announce his intention to find himself a woman, that Gratiano states his intention to follow suit. Gratiano announces that he can marry Nerissa, as Nerissa said that she would follow in the steps of her Lady Portia. When it comes down to it, Gratiano and Nerissa marry because Bassanio and Portia are married; and as Gratiano's engagement to Nerissa is quite sudden and unexpected, to say the least, it is possible to say that their “love” is inauthentic. The same can be said regarding that of Portia and Bassanio.
    Additionally, the business with the ring further proves our point. Nerissa is shown to present Gratiano with a ring, just as Portia did with Bassanio. By the same token, both men give away their rings; thereby providing evidence that their relationships are shallow and insincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    What specificaly have you got so far? I could try to point you in the right direction. Of course if you just want someone to do he work for you, look elsewhere.
    I posted a response, if you could please take a look; I accidently entered it as a post, rather than a response.

Blog Entries
    Ok. Your problem lies in a misunderstanding or miscommunication of foil. The question is asking you to find out how these characters are opposites of each other. So your contrast between Portia and nerissa in the marital situations is a good one. You don't actually make a point with the rings. As far as Jessica is concerned, focus on her religion as the thing that separates her. The lack of power she has in this world because she is a Jewess.

Also her relation with Lorenzo, how is it different from both Portia and nerissa's relationships?

Best of luck

Blog Entries
    http://m.eb.com/topic/211951

For a definition of "foil"...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    Ok. Your problem lies in a misunderstanding or miscommunication of foil. The question is asking you to find out how these characters are opposites of each other. So your contrast between Portia and nerissa in the marital situations is a good one. You don't actually make a point with the rings. As far as Jessica is concerned, focus on her religion as the thing that separates her. The lack of power she has in this world because she is a Jewess.

Also her relation with Lorenzo, how is it different from both Portia and nerissa's relationships?

Best of luck
    I thank you. Can I use it to compare the two, or is there something more substantial that I can do. Also, would you say I covered it all with the two, or that there is something more that I'm missing.

Also, I have some good "stuff" for Jessica and Portia;please offer some constructive criticism on it if you will:

With his portrayal of Portia and Jessica, Shakespeare has contradicted the perceived roles of women in the 17th century society through. Portia has been clearly evident as an instrumental character to the play's development as a result of her greatness, high self-esteem, abilities, intelligence and manipulative power. Jessica however, has been portrayed in light of a reactive, submissive character that possessed low self-esteem and remained reactive through the play.
    Furthermore, several similarities and differences, that the two share, are in that, both have feelings and affections for a man. Jessica is in love with Lorenzo, while Portia seems to be fond of Bassanio. They are both restricted from the one they love as well. Jessica’s father does not approve of her lover, Lorenzo, while Portia is bound to her father’s will, not being able to marry Bassanio unless he passes the test that Portia’s father has created. Also, Jessica being a Jewess cannot so easily marry Lorenzo, cannot introduce him to her father, and instead must convert to marry him, as she wants to escape from the “oppressive” Shylock; by the same token, Portia cannot, so easily marry the one she actually has feelings for, but must have him partake in the lottery instead…

Additionally, both girls are not very fond of their fathers. Jessica dislikes her father with a serious passion that she decides to leave him and steal money from him. Portia began having an aversion to her father because of his will, which took away her right to choose.

In contrasting the two, Jessica opts to betray and disobey her father, and even steal from him, while Portia, albeit somewhat scornfully, follows the will of her father. Another difference is that Portia is extremely wealthy, admired and well-known, while Jessica is known by few and only seems to be loved by Lorenzo; and relies on money that she stole from her father. Moreover, Portia’s father passed away, leaving her alone, while Jessica is departing from her father.

Blog Entries
    Your points about their fathers are good. Keep the focus on the differences, the similarities you mention at the start are redundant.

Again, I must thank you for your input. I have but one concern left: the foil betwixt Jessica and Nerissa. Would you be willing to offer some points on a possible foil?