Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanity

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Vanity

How do you define "vanity"? How do you measure it? How vain do you consider yourself - if at all? Or is "them" who are vain?

And could not start this thread without posting a link to this, of course.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Or is it "they" who are vain

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Or is it "they" who are vain
    Agreed.

It was a mere attempt at humour, Hawkman... Which is why I placed it between inverted commas.
    ~
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Everyone has a certain amount of vanity.

P.S. I hate that song.

I'm vain! I'm not proud of it. On a degree of vanity, I'd think above average, at least in terms of pride.

I think it's important to temper vanity with humility, if that's even possible. I think it is, but I have always been chaotic and contradictory.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Vanity is an inevitability for any animal conscious of the inevitability of death. Yet vanity can also be petty everywhere else.

How vain do you consider yourself - if at all?
    I'm not vain at all. I don't like all that looking in the mirror touching your hair business. I'm very 'umble.

On a vanity scale I think I am about 2.5/10.

Blog Entries
    My middle name is vanity. When I put my top teeth in on a morning I wink at myself and still think "lookin' good".

I always make sure my high visibility jacket is reasonably clean, and I never wear my cycle helmet at a jaunty angle. It has to be just right.

I wear long shorts that cover my gnarly knees but reveal a tantalsing glimpse of calf. (The shin's a bit kicked in from the rugby). It goes a fetching pink on a cold morning - when it's not gone a corned beef blotchy that is.

It hurts to be this fine. You gotta cry a little to let the world know about it.

J

Blog Entries
    The greatest love of all. If i could bring sex into this nearly anbody comfortable in their own skin are sexy. it is easier to bring vanity down a peg or two than to give confidence. We all have an idea where we are placed but the winners are those that dont give a toss about the odds

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

Blog Entries
    I have to admit I have never thought about this. I don't think I'm that vain but I guess you should ask someone who knows me. when it comes to looks I don't really care that much about it, I get a haircut maybe once a year and wear an ikea bag clip in my hair. I use mascara almost every day, that may be a bit vain...

I guess everybody is vain in some way, but I'll think about it.

Oh and that song, it was the first thing that came into my head when I read the name of the thread, I can't stand that song!!
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post

And could not start this thread without posting a link to this, of course.
    What song is it? – it's not available in my country.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I'm not vain at all. I don't like all that looking in the mirror touching your hair business. I'm very 'umble.

On a vanity scale I think I am about 2.5/10.
    Neely, I don't believe, vanity pertains to the looks only. One can be vain about many things a mirror doesn't show.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Lulim View Post
    What song is it? – it's not available in my country.
    It is "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon, Lulim
    Neely, I don't believe, vanity pertains to the looks only. One can be vain about many things a mirror doesn't show.
    I very much agree with you, Lulim. While outwards vanity can be picked upon easily, inwards vanity (just making up a term for sake of the discussion) cannot be detected unless we get to know the person, maybe.

There have not been many suggestions for a description... How about some examples? Is dying one's hair vanity? Polishing nails? Wearing coloured contact lenses? Refusing to eat certain food? Buying only hardcover books? Shopping only from certain shops or buying only certain brands? Talking about one's success or riches? What do you consider vanity?
    ~
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Lulim View Post
    Yes, this was the vanity I was referring to. I'm not terribly vain appearance-wise, but I do like to look at myself in the mirror a lot. That doesn't mean I'm particularly set upon fixing anything I see there.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

There have not been many suggestions for a description... How about some examples? Is dying one's hair vanity? Polishing nails? Wearing coloured contact lenses? Refusing to eat certain food? Buying only hardcover books? Shopping only from certain shops or buying only certain brands? Talking about one's success or riches? What do you consider vanity?
    According to online definition vanity is "excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being." The key word being excessive for me. So would polishing nails count as being excessive? I don't think so really. Someone who only reads hardback books? No. Refusing to eat certain food? Certainly not.

I take the point that vanity doesn't only count for appearances, though it is the first given definition and is how I would use the context of the word primarily. Someone who boasts about money, holidays etc I would rather label a brag/braggart/snob/false etc, vain a little after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast