Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: i didn't like pride and prejudice

bob

i didn't like pride and prejudice

i REALLY hope there are not people out there who actually enjoy reading pride and prejudice. Because that is sad. I found more intelligent social comment in the Daily Star. For gods sake, this book makes me want to stab my self repeatedly with something rusty. It makes me wanna scratch out my eyes. Reading it gives me the slow numbing sensation of bleeding to death.

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't suppose you have any substantiated reason to support your claims? With the regards to finding more intelligent social commentary elsewhere, you do realize that the book was published in 1813, correct? You should probably try and understand a sense of context before trying to apply it to today--which is very doable, I might add.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I like the way you express yourself. And you're absolutely right about Prude and Prejudice. BOOOOOR-ING!

It has nothing to do with intellect. If a man has a pulse, he's qualified to dislike this book.

Blog Entries
    I'm reading Pride and Prejudice now, and it's not boring. Okay, admittedly, one or two parts are detestably boring, but I'm finding it quite a good read actually. Though I'd like it better if we didn't have to take turns reading aloud it in class every lesson, that we have it, and were just allowed to read it ourselves. Perhaps those of you who hate the book would be better off watching the film; it's a bit easier to understand .
    No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awsome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men - Gildas Magnus, Ars Draconis, 1465

Blog Entries
    I just didn't like the story...to be blunt I found it a little dumb (no carchases no explosions, no gang violence...) I'm just kiddning.

I suppose there are those out there who enjoy this type of story, however I am not of that group of people. I was raised on good literature, and for the most part don't like any of the so called "femanist classics" (though I am still not sure as to how pride and prejudice could be considered a feminist book, my teacher could not provide and adequate answer).

I have to agree with Starr, the book was boring, and I would not read it again or watch the movies, even though Keira Knightly stars.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

I must say that I have only met one guy who truly enjoyed works by Austen or even the Bronte sisters. That was dear Mono oh how I miss him. I think Pride and Prejudice is the ultimate classic romance novel. which is why they have made sooo many movies based on it or even losely based on it. Has anyone watched "You've got mail"? with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, it was based on the P & P. And the new P & P was on the top ten list of movies (top ticket sellers) for months. SO maybe you should try watching it. and for those that dont like the book maybe you just dont have the ability to understand the wit of Austen, a true female genius. Most men dont.
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

Blog Entries
    Eh, I've seen "You've Got Mail." It was okay, but in the romantic genre, I prefer "When Harry Met Sally" with Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan. It's funnier.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I really disagree. Though the book is a very mature book, and yes it is very hard to read at some parts. But Jane Austen is a fantasic author. It takes good taste to enjoy her literature.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    (though I am still not sure as to how pride and prejudice could be considered a feminist book, my teacher could not provide and adequate answer).
    Perhaps it's because it was written by a woman and is about stereotypical, "woman's" issues.
    Last edited by Bluebiird; 01-16-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awsome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men - Gildas Magnus, Ars Draconis, 1465

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    Perhaps it's because it was written by a woman and is about stereotypical, "woman's" issues.
    I suppose, however, the book seesm to be a very male dominated story, and the only goal the women have is to marry a richguy...regardless of love.
    To me it appears to be an almost anti-feminist book (the happy ending is that the main character marries rich)

Maybe it is because I am male that I cannot comprehend the suttle feminist undertones?

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Nah, it's because it was written a good 130 years before the feminist movement began.

Still, I guess I'll have to stand as the lone female hater-of-Austen. I can sit through one of the movies, provided there's snacks and good company (my mother and her friend have made sure this happened more than once). But I've tried reading P&P, and I didn't get very far. Admittedly that's not a good standpoint from which to judge a book, but it still stands as the only book I've ever had to put down before I reached page 20. Otherwise, I might have taken a large knife to it.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Nah, it's because it was written a good 130 years before the feminist movement began.

Still, I guess I'll have to stand as the lone female hater-of-Austen. I can sit through one of the movies, provided there's snacks and good company (my mother and her friend have made sure this happened more than once). But I've tried reading P&P, and I didn't get very far. Admittedly that's not a good standpoint from which to judge a book, but it still stands as the only book I've ever had to put down before I reached page 20. Otherwise, I might have taken a large knife to it.
    I completely agree with you, and seriously doubt your dislike of the book has to do with "a lack of understanding" or being an "unsophisticated reader"

some books are just poor.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

Blog Entries
    Bah! I liked at least some of Pride and Prejudice (though my memory is a bit fuzzy). I absolutely loved the part when Elizabeth reads Darcy's letter--makes me want to point at Elizabeth's name on the page and shout, "HA!! In your face!!"
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000
    Bah! I liked at least some of Pride and Prejudice (though my memory is a bit fuzzy). I absolutely loved the part when Elizabeth reads Darcy's letter--makes me want to point at Elizabeth's name on the page and shout, "HA!! In your face!!"
    The only thing I enjoyed about the book, was that when we read it in class, the prof would always be lady catherine (the old snobby rich realitive of darcy), it was funny when he read it in an odd old-lady-monty-python-like accent...but other than that...I much rather would have prefeered reading Kafka.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast