Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: TV dinners?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye.

10 43.48%
  • Unwilling aye.

2 8.70%
  • Nay.

10 43.48%
  • Who cares?

1 4.35%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TV Dinners: Aye or Nay?

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    I like TV dinners. They make me feel that someone out there still cares about the hermit who can't be arsed enough to look after himself.
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the book, it looks pretty good indeed. The only drawback is that Mrs Neely hates the smell of Indian food...
    She what?

Listen, mate, obviously you feel a certain loyalty, and that really reflects well on you. But - come on - it's not too late to get shot of her, surely? You're still a young man and you could yet have a chance at happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    She what?

Listen, mate, obviously you feel a certain loyalty, and that really reflects well on you. But - come on - it's not too late to get shot of her, surely? You're still a young man and you could yet have a chance at happiness.
    Yes I know, I know, but who would iron my socks?

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Just specify that in the ad. "....must adore the aroma of vindaloo and enjoy ironing socks." Believe me, there's hundreds of them out there. You'll be swatting them away with a peshwari nan.

Blog Entries
    Making a simple meal is very easy for me. Why eat something that tastes....TERRIBLE?
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I voted 'aye' and was surprised, after reading-or at least glancing at-all four pages, that so many people did vote 'aye.' I have been known -or rather I am known for-feeding my family chicken nuggets at least twice a mont, also frozen fish. I've done frozen lasagna-Wal-Mart's brand was actually very, very good (really Sam's Club, but same difference).

I usually ate them for lunch, but lately I've been getting a sandwich from 7-11. I'm sure the quality is better and that it's better for me.

I don't really like to cook. On the other hand I really do like decent or even good food. What's a person to do? I still haven't figured that out.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    .....It's worth remembering that it's fine to be picky whilst you're mobile and independant, but there may well come a time when ready meals will be the hot food you eat. Hopefully not for a long long time yet.
    Thanks for pointing this out, Paul. I've been glad of the odd Ready Meal over the past few weeks when I haven't been up to trips to the shops or standing at the cooker for any length of time and have tired of eggs/baked potatoes/salad. The quality varies, however - like everything else, you get what you pay for (and, whisper it, sometimes M&S isn't the best).

Ordinarily, I like to cook for myself and when I'm really organised and planning ahead, I do batch cooking, casseroles, bolognese or neapolitan sauce, soups, and freeze them in single portions. Then all I have to do is remember to take it out in time to allow it to defrost before adding whatever it takes to make a meal. Can someone explain to me why casseroles in particular are so much tastier for a spell in the freezer? In my present efforts to clear my freezer ready for The Move, I came across a couple of portions Of Beef in Guinness that I'd forgotten about, probably because I wasn't that keen on it when it was freshly cooked: this time round, it was delicious, rich and flavoursome. Or maybe I was just hungry this time.....

You've got Mrs N. ironing your socks ? This must surely be a breach of the Human Rights Act. She doesn't peel grapes for you while you relax in a silk dressing gown, sipping Champagne and listening to Noël Coward by any chance?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    You've got Mrs N. ironing your socks ? This must surely be a breach of the Human Rights Act. She doesn't peel grapes for you while you relax in a silk dressing gown, sipping Champagne and listening to Noël Coward by any chance?
    I'd have to say that notion is outrageous. The best part of the grape is the skin.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, Paul. I've been glad of the odd Ready Meal over the past few weeks when I haven't been up to trips to the shops or standing at the cooker for any length of time and have tired of eggs/baked potatoes/salad. The quality varies, however - like everything else, you get what you pay for (and, whisper it, sometimes M&S isn't the best).

Ordinarily, I like to cook for myself and when I'm really organised and planning ahead, I do batch cooking, casseroles, bolognese or neapolitan sauce, soups, and freeze them in single portions. Then all I have to do is remember to take it out in time to allow it to defrost before adding whatever it takes to make a meal. Can someone explain to me why casseroles in particular are so much tastier for a spell in the freezer? In my present efforts to clear my freezer ready for The Move, I came across a couple of portions Of Beef in Guinness that I'd forgotten about, probably because I wasn't that keen on it when it was freshly cooked: this time round, it was delicious, rich and flavoursome. Or maybe I was just hungry this time.....
    I find the same with curries. In my opinion, it has had time to "rot down" a little and disseminate the flavours. I don't want to put anyone off...

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    I'd have to say that notion is outrageous. The best part of the grape is the skin.
    I suspect that is what's happening, anyhow. Mrs N has the grapes while Neely gets the skins.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    TV dinners should appeal to me because I spend half my time sharing an apartment with my brother and he is so abjectly undemostic the kitchen is in a constant state of messiness and filth and so I abstain from ever using it. Here I subsist on only fresh fruit, humous and trail mix. But the way I was raised you don't ever purchase food items in a package or with ingrediants you don't know. Most TV dinner come in colorful packaging and feature a host of unknown ingredients. It seems they stick salt and msg in everything, not to mention sugar, corn syrup and who knows what hormones and gentically modified organisms. They also seem to cost more than basic food stuffs. If I want something tasty I'll put in the effort to cook or the money to dine out, otherwise I eat purely to fuel my body and brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Yes I must get myself a silk dressing gown. I knew there was something missing in my life, these PJs aren't very good.

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    The meat is better, I know what it ate and it's nice and lean from trudging through the underbrush, and it's probably lived a more... "fulfilling" life than a beef cow, but it's not always very humane. We try to shoot them under the front limb so that it goes right into the heart, but that's not always how it goes down. My brother once shot a whitetail in the front limb and had to track it for hours before it finally bled to death. Sometimes you hit the belly or the throat, that's always a bit of a horror show and I know it'd be quite disturbing for someone who isn't used to it.

I guess I'll just go and buy my meat and not think about it.

Who in their right mind would iron socks?

Who in their right mind would iron socks?
    I'm quite particular about my socks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast