Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: TV dinners?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye.

10 43.48%
  • Unwilling aye.

2 8.70%
  • Nay.

10 43.48%
  • Who cares?

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TV Dinners: Aye or Nay?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

TV Dinners: Aye or Nay?

Do you keep a selection of ready made (frozen or otherwise) meals in your fridge?

Or is it something unthinkable for you?

Please share your views in detail
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I have not eaten a frozen ready meal since I was about 16/17 and knew no better. We don't even have a microwave in our house. There is nothing wrong with knocking up something quick like beans on toast (Branston beans) or an omelette, sandwiches, something like that, but frozen ready meals? Never! Out of the question!

As one who eats very little and therefore tends to snack, I have never kept frozen ready made meals in the refrigerator. Currently, there is a piece of fish for grilling, some mushrooms to go with a grilled Quorn escalope which I am about to prepare, some pâté, a pack of sliced Edam cheese and some French cheese also. I have nothing against frozen foods but I can't be bothered to unfreeze them prior to cooking.
    Much more pertinent than the above, I shall be eating the escalope and mushrooms accompanied by a bottle of Fat Bastard 2012 red wine from my local store. Only the finest will do when it comes to the juice of the grape.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not me. I've seen the packets and they look bland and frankly disgusting - though it could have something to do with the inability to smell them.

In the fruit and vegetable department the fresh aroma is everywhere, consequence: I buy more than I need. In the freezers are these sterile cryogenics. Frozen peas, chips, carrots - yuck. Pizzas with manufactured meat (whatever that is - unfortunately I do know what it is!) and dim sims.

The most frozen thing in my freezer is icecream, followed by meats, homemade pasta sauces and curries (for emergencies) and flavoured iceblocks.

So no, no tv dinners off the shelf, not even a fish finger nor chicken nugget (especially not since one poisoned me last year - but that was a chance purchase)

None for us either, I'm afraid... We don't have a microwave oven anymore either. The only thing we did use it for was defrosting meat anyway and that was sh*te by the end.

We do have ready-made stuff in the freezer but that consists of left over pasta sauce and brased red cabbage or something. It's not something we would be seen buying in the shop.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

I shall be eating the escalope and mushrooms accompanied by a bottle of Fat Bastard 2012 red wine from my local store. Only the finest will do when it comes to the juice of the grape.
    Ah I'm not a connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure the 2012 is a vintage year for the Fat Bastard - the red at least, the white I've heard not so.

I'm currently enjoying a glass of French red from the Tesco - I'm celebrating the upcoming cessation of bodily infection.

I'm glad to see fellow disgust of frozen ready meals. I feel like I'm not amongst philistines for a change.
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 02-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Frozen, dried, reheated. Slap it on a plate and I'll grab a slice of bread.

Did you ever see those Xmas Pot Noodles I bought for the kids last year? They were like the beef ones but with a stuffing overlay.

Did you ever see those Xmas Pot Noodles I bought for the kids last year? They were like the beef ones but with a stuffing overlay.
    No, but that sounds fantastic.

Blog Entries

You can use the festive foil lid as a tree decoration.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not for me, I prefer to cook. I usually make up my own 'ready meals' - when I cook I usually make enough for several meals, so the remainder goes in the fridge/freezer for later consumption.

But even if I have nothing in the freezer, and it's been a long and hectic day so I don't feel like cooking, then something like a fry-up is still an easy and quick meal to prepare.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I am all for easy cooking but not that easy, I never buy this stuff and I don't have a microwave oven. I sometimes make a big plate of lasagna or something like that and put in the freezer for an easy dinner later on but it's always homemade.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Damn, I misread the question. Yes, I do eat them in certain situations (definately airplane food qualifies as a 'tv dinner') as I travel quite alot now.

They are blah, but so is air travel these days.

Blog Entries
    We have frozen lasagna, pizza, tacos, veggie burgers among other things in the freezer. I consider those "TV dinners", but perhaps people are referring to these plates of food that contain single servings of meat, potatoes and a vegetable that are wrapped in plastic. I haven't seen these in years (decades?). Maybe they are still around.

You do have to cook these things in either a microwave or an oven. The lasagna takes the longest.

We also occasionally have ice cream bars in the freezer, which is probably not a dinner, but is ready made frozen food. They are better left uncooked.

Blog Entries
    In the supermarkets I go to they're called "Ready Meals". They have a dinner for 1 or 2 in them, and some of them look pretty good.

The Old Auntie orders them from a company that supplies frozen ready meals to old folks who can't get about, or who can no longer stand to do cooking etc. She says they are very good, but also tries different ones from Marks and Spencers.

I'd certainly eat them, but you can probably guess that I'd eat most things bar the meat. They do look as though they've improved though. I was looking at a pasta one with a sauce and cheese today for 2. It looked really nice.

It's worth remembering that it's fine to be picky whilst you're mobile and independant, but there may well come a time when ready meals will be the hot food you eat. Hopefully not for a long long time yet.

Account closed.
    Oh this reminds me of the ready meals my husband and I got at Paddington station when we stayed a block from there. They were GOOD!! We had a tiny kitchen with a microwave, and that's how we ate many of our dinners, which consisted of Indian chicken dinners and pasta dinners. I loved that little store- so efficient- much more efficiently run than our stores over here. And everyone was so polite. I want to go back!!!! I love ready meals in Britain.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast