Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hello. I have a general question to submit to you fine folks.

Over my life I have read very little literary fiction. I have, however, the good little pedantic reading intensive degrees in non fiction subjects (Philosophy/History). So I do not suffer from, say, an inability to read and analyze material.

What ignited my sudden real interest was reading Nabakov, Kafka, and Pynchon.

What I am trying to understand is this: What kind of "game plan" or structured reading list is appropriate for someone like myself trying to delve into and get a real sense of literature? There are some obvious classics - like War & Peace - that seem like they should be read, but also are long and complex enough it does not seem great to start out with them (also, the opportunity cost of spending lots of initial time on one book).

So, to understand literature, where does one start? What is a good order? Do they teach you in some particular order in College?

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Start with what you like. Don't worry if it's a "great classic", don't let anyone tell you what you have to read. Find works reflecting your interests.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verkehr View Post
    What ignited my sudden real interest was reading Nabakov, Kafka, and Pynchon.
    Keep this sort of thing up.

What I am trying to understand is this: What kind of "game plan" or structured reading list is appropriate for someone like myself trying to delve into and get a real sense of literature? There are some obvious classics - like War & Peace - that seem like they should be read, but also are long and complex enough it does not seem great to start out with them (also, the opportunity cost of spending lots of initial time on one book).
    So, to understand literature, where does one start? What is a good order? Do they teach you in some particular order in College?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

The overall game plan might be to look at the development of literature over time: from written versions of oral poetry to written poetry to Greek and Roman literature to the Edas to Boewulf, the Green Knight, etc. But there comes a point when prose fiction became the dominant genre, so from Aphra Behn on you should read the prose (thepoetry became crap). But reading in a plan is really a waste of time. Read what you like, and eventually you will find that the light stuff is light. Som of what is presented as great literature is not greeat in any way, but you will have to figure that out for yourself.