Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: To Swear Or Not To Swear

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I must say one rarely hears "c**t" among the most profane discussions here in the US. "F***" of course is an all-purpose word: noun, verb, adjective, adverb. The most advanced users are able to employ the word in splitting a larger word such as "Fan- f***-ing- tastic!"

Perhaps the the incident involving the "C" word that sticks the most in my memory involved my wife. Now I should note that while she has been known to swear on occasion... she only does so with reason. She is not likely to employ a "Sh**" or "F***" unless she has been ticked off or angered to a good extent. The incident that I remember occurred in one of those large chain book stores. We were sitting in the cafe where endless teenagers gather... laugh... gossip... play video games on their i-phones or listen to their i-pods while waiting for a movie at the theater next door. Numerous young, urban, professionals are clicking away on their lap-tops, and the cappuccino and espresso machines churn out a consistent noise. I had left her to go check out a stack of art magazines. While I was gone, her daughter, who lives just outside New York called. As she was talking to her daughter, some snooty, rich old bat strutted up to her and loudly complained about how rude it was to be talking on the phone in a book store. When I returned she was sitting silently... clearly fuming about something. Finally she told me what had happened and pointed out the woman who was still sitting nearby. I told her to forget about it, but she continued to fume. Suddenly she burst out... "Get me out of here! If you don't get me out of here right now I'm gonna go over there and cuss out that old c**t licker in front of everyone." I laughed nervously... but she continued, "I'm not kidding, if you don't get me away from that c*** l***** right now it's gonna get ugly." I rushed and checked out the one art magazine I wanted and out we went. All the way home she kept bursting forth, "God d*** c*** l*****!" Every now and then I'll mention the incident, and immediately the same words burst forth from her mouth... which I have never heard from her on any other occasion.

In reality, my wife is small (5-foot even) and slow to anger... but once she gets fired up, she's difficult to cool off... and the one area that she is most easily angered concerns her family. The poor woman in the book store had no idea what she was getting into when she interrupted a conversation between my wife and her daughter whom she sees but twice a year.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Well there's no point in arguing for the sake of it. I leave that to one other member, whose whole contribution in relation to the forum is to try to prove how clever he is by nitpicking over anything that takes his fancy. As you have said yourself, there's nothing unusual in getting snarky comments from this individual, but a bigger bore it would be difficult to find.
    Oh, I get a kick out of Mark. He can't be taken too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I must say one rarely hears "c**t" among the most profane discussions here in the US. "F***" of course is an all-purpose word: noun, verb, adjective, adverb. The most advanced users are able to employ the word in splitting a larger word such as "Fan- f***-ing- tastic!"

Perhaps the the incident involving the "C" word that sticks the most in my memory involved my wife. Now I should note that while she has been known to swear on occasion... she only does so with reason. She is not likely to employ a "Sh**" or "F***" unless she has been ticked off or angered to a good extent. The incident that I remember occurred in one of those large chain book stores. We were sitting in the cafe where endless teenagers gather... laugh... gossip... play video games on their i-phones or listen to their i-pods while waiting for a movie at the theater next door. Numerous young, urban, professionals are clicking away on their lap-tops, and the cappuccino and espresso machines churn out a consistent noise. I had left her to go check out a stack of art magazines. While I was gone, her daughter, who lives just outside New York called. As she was talking to her daughter, some snooty, rich old bat strutted up to her and loudly complained about how rude it was to be talking on the phone in a book store. When I returned she was sitting silently... clearly fuming about something. Finally she told me what had happened and pointed out the woman who was still sitting nearby. I told her to forget about it, but she continued to fume. Suddenly she burst out... "Get me out of here! If you don't get me out of here right now I'm gonna go over there and cuss out that old c**t licker in front of everyone." I laughed nervously... but she continued, "I'm not kidding, if you don't get me away from that c*** l***** right now it's gonna get ugly." I rushed and checked out the one art magazine I wanted and out we went. All the way home she kept bursting forth, "God d*** c*** l*****!" Every now and then I'll mention the incident, and immediately the same words burst forth from her mouth... which I have never heard from her on any other occasion.

In reality, my wife is small (5-foot even) and slow to anger... but once she gets fired up, she's difficult to cool off... and the one area that she is most easily angered concerns her family. The poor woman in the book store had no idea what she was getting into when she interrupted a conversation between my wife and her daughter whom she sees but twice a year.
    Your wife sounds hot, StLukes, .

As to the word **** (c-word), I've found a lot more women who use it on a regular basis than men. It almost seems like a situation where it's a word women can say but men can't, sort of like black people and the n-word, though not nearly as volatile. Anytime a woman says it, I find it strangely erotic.

Blog Entries
    I don't mind using words which are considered by some to be anti-female, especially the ones which are simply synonyms of female body parts. I don't think that synonyms for our body parts are anything to be offended over, but I recognize that some men might use such langage in an attempt to intimidate women. For this same reason, many other men will avoid using that language at all costs. Both of these mindsets imply the same thing: that women are weak. This is obvious in the men who seek to intimidate us, but the other breed, well, they think we need to be protected. They think we're too weak to handle certain words. This is the same reason why I hate "equal opportunity" and extremely restrictive sexual harrasment laws: I don't need a handicap. No language is off limits, it takes more than that to offend me.

I say c*nt A LOT when I'm playing video games. Just last night I was in a really low region of a dungeon on Skyrim when I got swarmed and died, sending me aaaaaaalllll the way back to the door. I collected a sh*t ton of mushroom in that stupid cave too, it took forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post

That's how I interpret it at least.
    Oh man, I'm so gonna use that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Exuant, pursued by a bore.
    That's the same defense mechanism you always fall back on when Mark burns you on your trolling. "Yeah?!? Well... that's all just boring talk, so I'm not responding!" It's starting to get (you guessed it) BORING. I think I should start a tally.

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Suddenly she burst out... "Get me out of here! If you don't get me out of here right now I'm gonna go over there and cuss out that old c**t licker in front of everyone." I laughed nervously... but she continued, "I'm not kidding, if you don't get me away from that c*** l***** right now it's gonna get ugly." I rushed and checked out the one art magazine I wanted and out we went. All the way home she kept bursting forth, "God d*** c*** l*****!" Every now and then I'll mention the incident, and immediately the same words burst forth from her mouth... which I have never heard from her on any other occasion.
    Hahaha, that's awesome. I once saw a classy looking middle aged woman freak out on a guy in a bistro because he was staring at her teenage daughter and grabbing his crotch, I have never heard language like that so skillfully employed in my entire life. It was really one of the best things I've ever witnessed, the guy was probably about thirty and I swear to god I'm almost certain there were tears in his eyes. He was all blotchy and red like a terrified eleven year old.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 02-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

[QUOTE=Mutatis-Mutandi;1115418]

Oh, I get a kick out of Mark. He can't be taken too seriously.
    That's the last thing anyone would do.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I don't mind using words which are considered by some to be anti-female, especially the ones which are simply synonyms of female body parts. I don't think that synonyms for our body parts are anything to be offended over, but I recognize that some men might use such langage in an attempt to intimidate women. For this same reason, many other men will avoid using that language at all costs. Both of these mindsets imply the same thing: that women are weak. This is obvious in the men who seek to intimidate us, but the other breed, well, they think we need to be protected. They think we're too weak to handle certain words. This is the same reason why I hate "equal opportunity" and extremely restrictive sexual harrasment laws: I don't need a handicap. No language is off limits, it takes more than that to offend me.
    Well, I think some men, like me, don't say c*** around women, or any stranger, simply because it's in bad taste. I've never thought, "Oh, I better not say that or I'll offend the delicate woman." Sometimes I think women put a lot of thoughts in our head that just aren't there.
    I say c*nt A LOT when I'm playing video games. Just last night I was in a really low region of a dungeon on Skyrim when I got swarmed and died, sending me aaaaaaalllll the way back to the door. I collected a sh*t ton of mushroom in that stupid cave too, it took forever.
    Video games definitely inspire more cursing from me than anything else. When I'm playing multiplayer on CoD, I get so irrationally mad at people . . . I think I have a problem. Need to play more Skyrim, which I rarely get mad at (probably because I don't screw around with collecting mushrooms ).

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was going to ask if cursing needed to be labeled either good or bad. It simply is. And it should, like anything else, be employed to one's purpose, adroitly and with expertise, which would include and understanding of when and when not to curse.

When you're with with friends judicious use of the f word can most certainly enhance the conversation, and Juniper's is a prime example of when to use it to make a point.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

[QUOTE=qimissung;1115551]

Juniper is a prime example of .........
    Don't tempt me.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    For this same reason, many other men will avoid using that language at all costs. Both of these mindsets imply the same thing: that women are weak. This is obvious in the men who seek to intimidate us, but the other breed, well, they think we need to be protected. They think we're too weak to handle certain words. This is the same reason why I hate "equal opportunity" and extremely restrictive sexual harrasment laws: I don't need a handicap. No language is off limits, it takes more than that to offend me.
    I don't think its men looking on women as weak. Its respect. The two most important people in most men's lives are a man's mother and his wife. I may belong to a prior century but I lament the near total loss of chivalry. Women bring us into this world, give us life, and to live is to love and it is woman that we love most. No matter what cultural developments take place, all decent men will forever feel it imperative to protect the feminine and regard women as special. Furthermore, women may not be weak, but they will always be in need of good men to protect them from the bad, whether that means a brother or husband acting out of love or a cop just doing his job.

Banned
    I don't think its men looking on women as weak. Its respect. The two most important people in most men's lives are a man's mother and his wife. I may belong to a prior century but I lament the near total loss of chivalry. Women bring us into this world, give us life, and to live is to love and it is woman that we love most. No matter what cultural developments take place, all decent men will forever feel it imperative to protect the feminine and regard women as special. Furthermore, women may not be weak, but they will always be in need of good men to protect them from the bad, whether that means a brother or husband acting out of love or a cop just doing his job.
    I agree compleatly.

Juniper what you are saying is pure feminist bull****. My mother raised me to always behave like a gentleman, and treat women like princesses. At the end of the day there is not one woman in the world who does not wish to be treated princess, and the feminists tend to be the ones who were never treated with respect, and their rage is not directed towards men, but to other women, who are treated like princesses by men. It is all envy. I will concede that it is not equall, that is the point, for the man to show himself subserviant towards the woman.
    Last edited by Alexander III; 02-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, now you're taking it too far in the other direction, Alex and Darcy. Alex, that is just pure sexist bull****, as is the "all women need to be protected from such-and-such" statement. Give me a break. I love that sentence: "Furthermore, women may not be weak, but they will always be in need of good men to protect them from the bad, whether that means a brother or husband acting out of love or a cop just doing his job." I mean, come on, did you read that sentence before posting it?

There's a difference between being a gentleman and being a condescending jackass.

I don't see how what Juniper says is off-base, as there are surely some men who think that way (Alex and Darcy just pretty much admitted they were). She said nothing extreme, not even close.

I guess both sides, Juniper's and Alex/Darcy, are making hasty generalizations here.
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 02-15-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    I agree compleatly.

Juniper what you are saying is pure feminist bull****. My mother raised me to always behave like a gentleman, and treat women like princesses. At the end of the day there is not one woman in the world who does not wish to be treated princess, and the feminists tend to be the ones who were never treated with respect, and their rage is not directed towards men, but to other women, who are treated like princesses by men. It is all envy. I will concede that it is not equall, that is the point, for the man to show himself subserviant towards the woman.
    You are SO wrong. I do NOT wish to be treated as a "princess", as you say all women do. Nope. I wish to be treated as a human being, with respect, just like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Well, now you're taking it too far in the other direction, Alex and Darcy. Alex, that is just pure sexist bull****, as is the "all women need to be protected from such-and-such" statement. Give me a break. I love that sentence: "Furthermore, women may not be weak, but they will always be in need of good men to protect them from the bad, whether that means a brother or husband acting out of love or a cop just doing his job." I mean, come on, did you read that sentence before posting it?

There's a difference between being a gentleman and being a condescending jackass.
    All I really said was that men should respect women and regard them as special. And yes, my statement that "women may not be weak, but they will always be in need of good men to protect them from the bad, whether that means a brother or husband acting out of love or a cop just doing his job" is true and I don't see how it can be disputed.

We do or at least should treat our mothers, our sisters and our wives as princesses, like Alex said. Every woman is someone else's mother, sister or wife and so should receive the extension of that courtesy.

It was argued that some men maintain a certain decorum around women due to the fact that those men consider women weak and unable to handle rough speech. I don't think it is so. Those men do so out of respect. A man's life is given to him by a woman and often finds its purpose in loving a woman. They aren't just men with breasts and long hair, at least not in my book.

Account closed.
    I have to disagree with you on this one, and I don't disagree with you that often, (except for your dislike of my favorite book ), but my husband would never use the c word because of these reasons;
    he finds it disrespectful
    he thinks it's inappropriate in ALL situations
    He is also the most "feminist" man I know. He treats women as equals, he loves smart, funny women who can challenge him intellectually, many of his favorite poets, singers, songwriters are women. I could go on.
    At the same time, he opens doors for me all the time, has me order first in a restaurant.
    These are the reasons I married him, and the one clue to his character was that he is able to be friends with women.
    I do like to swear though.

Blog Entries
    To me sexism means you consider women to be intellectually inferior and believe they should have freedoms and status lesser than those of men.

Then at the opposite extreme you have a feminism which posits that whatever differences that exist between men and women are purely cultural and looks down with utmost disdain on those women who assume traditionally female roles and don't mind depending on a man to take care of them physically and financially.

My own view is that women are our intellectual equals, are capable of doing pretty much anything a man can do, and should be allowed to do whatever they want. But though I consider them equal in mind and in will I do not consider them equal in the sense of their being the same as men. Y does not equal x. A woman should not be forced to stay home and raise children in any instance, but I bet in many cases a woman would find that more fulfilling than would a man. You see more male CEOs and surgeons and politicians not only because of bias against women (which I believe is definitely out there and a significant contributor to the phenomenon) but because not all women hold up professional success up as the ultimate goal while that is precisely the case with most men. The current state of affairs, where a woman can choose to be independent or dependent, can look at a female Secretary of State, head of the IMF or German Chancellor and think "I can do anything I want," while still knowing she has the option of marrying, having children and making a home, to me that's a fine circumstance.

I know I might get a lot of **** for this somewhat off-topic and perhaps controversial rant, but its what I believe.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    All I really said was that men should respect women and regard them as special.
    In order to for something to be 'special', there has to be something else in the same sort of categorical area that's not 'special'. 'Special' is necessarily relative.

So men should regard women as 'special' relative to what?
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 02-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast