Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This website

This website

Hello all-

I was just wondering how do you guys think this website is? I would really love to post my work, but I would really like some insite first. Comment to let me know!

If you are looking for meaningful feedback and can handle honest criticism as well as helpful advice (and encouragement) then feel free to post your work. If you just want someone to read your pieces and tell you how wonderful it is (whether that's the truth or not) you might be disappointed.

Of course you can still post your work on here and explain you only want to share it with us and would prefer not to have any responses.

If you're unsure what to expect have a look on comments members have posted on other posters' stories or poetry before taking the plunge.

H

PS - if you're a young writer don't assume we'll treat you more tenderly (although we have been known to make allowances).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    If you are looking for meaningful feedback and can handle honest criticism as well as helpful advice (and encouragement) then feel free to post your work. If you just want someone to read your pieces and tell you how wonderful it is (whether that's the truth or not) you might be disappointed.

Of course you can still post your work on here and explain you only want to share it with us and would prefer not to have any responses.

If you're unsure what to expect have a look on comments members have posted on other posters' stories or poetry before taking the plunge.

H

PS - if you're a young writer don't assume we'll treat you more tenderly (although we have been known to make allowances).
    i.e., if hill doesn't like your stuff, he'll tear you apart.

Seriously, though, the above description is pretty much spot-on.

Blog Entries
    Enter with thick skin. Ignore the cyber bullies. Write whatever you want to write.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    i.e., if hill doesn't like your stuff, he'll tear you apart.

Seriously, though, the above description is pretty much spot-on.
    lol. don't be misled by Hill's cute schoolboy avatar. He is however a very honest and precise critic and has received numerous thanks from budding writers and the advice he gave is true. There are some very tender Lit-Nutters here.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    Enter with thick skin. Ignore the cyber bullies. Write whatever you want to write.
    i.e., "What I write often gets criticized here . . . and rightly so."

Blog Entries
    If you want to be taken seriously, don't write in rhymes.

"But do you really, seriously, Major Scobie," Dr. Sykes asked, "believe in hell?"
    "Oh, yes, I do."
    "In flames and torment?"
    "Perhaps not quite that. They tell us it may be a permanent sense of loss."
    "That sort of hell wouldn't worry me," Fellowes said.
    "Perhaps you've never lost anything of importance," Scobie said.

Blog Entries

Cyber bullying is bad for websites

Somebody said:
    if hill doesn't like your stuff, he'll tear you apart.
    It's unfortunate that some people have left this posting board because of the "critiques" of hillwalker and certain others. Some of these "critiques" were downright mean and perfect examples of cyber bullying. These "critiques" were often a thin camouflage for what appears to be anger management problems. When newer members are subject to this kind of hostility they often just leave. As I said before I think this kind of cyber bullying is bad for the website.

I've noticed that the "critiques" are especially vicious if the new poster dares to be innovative or creative. Isn't the purpose of creative writing to be creative? I think we should be encouraging new posters to be as creative and innovative as they wish, and I think that we should give them a genuine welcome instead of subjecting them to cyber bullying.

Me personally the cyber bullying does not bother me much. I noticed that certain cyber bullies rarely post if ever their own material. Why is that? And I noticed that the few that do - well, their work is so dry, archaic, and lifeless that I get a good laugh. Perhaps that is why they take their frustrations out on others? Because their own material is so wanting of vitality, life, and creativity? Whatever the reason I wish these cyber bullies would stop running new posters off the website. New posters should be welcomed instead.
    Last edited by WolfLarsen; 01-24-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Somebody said:

- if hill doesn't like your work he'll tear you apart -
    That same somebody also had a sense of humour when they posted that comment if you had bothered to quote their response in full.
    But I'll ignore your own lack of wit and your personalised attack.

I noticed that certain cyber bullies rarely post if ever their own material. Why is that?
    If I'm included in this (and I have to assume I am) it's because my poetry kept getting copied and posted on other web-sites without my permission.

And I noticed that the few that do - well, their work is so dry, archaic, and lifeless that I get a good laugh.
    I'm not sure if this is still me you're writing about since you never gave any feedback on my work. But if you did find my writing that bad I'll consider it a compliment given your astute aesthetic analysis of what constitutes good literature and your own attempts on here.

Perhaps that is why they take their frustrations out on others? Because their own material is so wanting of vitality, life, and creativity? Whatever the reason I wish these cyber bullies would stop running new posters off the website. New posters should be welcomed instead.
    You win, of course, because your opinion is always the one that's right. I'll make this my last post on LitNet and allow you to welcome all-comers with open arms in your inimitable style. Good luck.

H

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    You win, of course, because your opinion is always the one that's right. I'll make this my last post on LitNet and allow you to welcome all-comers with open arms in your inimitable style. Good luck.

H
    That would be a great loss, indeed, particularly for those who so rarely come across honestly meticulous deconstruction.

I'm surprised this has dragged on as it has (and across several threads.) People have different ideas of art and writing - so what? While being so concerned about "scaring off" newcomers, let them decide for themselves what they are willing/not willing to accept.

And Wolf, while I would never ask you to reconsider your view of art or writing, your definition of cyber-bullying is a bit askew.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wolf is just displaying some sour apples. His work is harshly criticized by hill and others, and his is the only person's I've seen this, mostly because Wolf refuses to accept criticism and keep posing the same stuff, refusing to grow as a writer. He has also neglected to mention that he gets plenty, and surprisng, amounts of positive feedback.

hill can be brusk, but most of the time his critiques are thoughtful.

Between Farce and Tragedy
    No, Hill. Don't quit the site.
    You are smart enough to rise above Wolfarsen's bolloxology.

hill's a saint for putting up with this junk for so long in the first place. He's not the only one to notice the acrimony, the sharp shooting, the general nastiness- and the vultures that swoop over for no other reason than to chew the carrion. Exactly where you'd want to share your work and invest your time.

Pearls before swine, hill. Get the flock out of dodge and come back, if you choose to, on your own time.

But for now, back to Prague.

J

Blog Entries

I think I've been very polite

I don't know. I think I myself have been pretty polite considering what I've had to put up with from some of the posters here. Also, considering how what I say is often misrepresented by certain posters I think I've been quite polite indeed. I think my behavior has been very restrained here.

It's interesting to note that when a cyber bully gets to look in the mirror it's not very pretty. I think it's time for some people to develop something called manners and common decency. So you don't like somebody's writing. So what? Don't read their stuff! Don't click on their threads. It's that simple. People have the right to write whatever they want to.

There are others on this website whose behavior was even more exemplary than mine. They handled the cyber bullying that was coming from certain people with even greater politeness than I have. They are the true saints. They also left and went to other posting boards. It's sad. Cyber bullies pushing people off this website with their angry behavior. It's like they need a punching bag or something.

Oh well, that's life.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    But some of us were offering genuine constructive criticism, no? Or asking honest questions, such as "what kind of things have you been reading?" (some of which we're still waiting for an answer.) I hope that isn't your definition of "cyber bullying."

Please do feel free to read any postings by yours truly (poems, short stories)
    and rip the hell out 'em. That's called "give and take."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast