Thread: VAV

GeneralD

No Subject

Way to go, Britney! I think most people watch to much TV today to appreciate what you understand. I give the book an A+!

Unregistered

No Subject

Sorry, but I don't agree. And I find it quite shallow of you to then assume that anybody who doesn't share your taste in books immature. It's not just about understanding what's hidden, but whether you like what you've understood. Oh, and I suppose if someone disagrees with your judgement, their life has no meaning? Yes, this book did contain touching events and messages about love. But the characters were highly unrealistic. The typical blonde-haired blue-eyed angelic Lucie and prince charming Darnay goes about as deep as a fairy tale 5 year olds enjoy. Carton was indeed admirable, but that hardly makes up for the rest of the book's unrealistic and boring characters. <br><br>You enjoyed the book, and I didn't. Sure, I agree to disagree. But your comment on people just not being 'educated' or 'mature' enough is plain egotistical and ignorant.

Brittney

VAV

How could you not love such a book. It is brilliant. If you didn't like this book you are not educated enough or not mature enough to understand his work. The fun part about his writing technique is how he hides meanings in every single word he puts in. Please read this book again and take a deeper meaning into it. And if you don't find that interest, I don't think your life has much meaning as of today, you are not looking past words. You are just reading them. Learn to love reading again. I give this book beyond and A for technique of writing, history included, and the love of writing. Read and Love. <br> Brittney<br>

Vav

Yes, i would tend to agree with you that those who do not like deep books tend to be young (if not physically, mentally) but I think maybe we shouldn't tell them... let them wallow in their shady pools.

Sorry, but I don't agree. And I find it quite shallow of you to then assume that anybody who doesn't share your taste in books immature. It's not just about understanding what's hidden, but whether you like what you've understood. Oh, and I suppose if someone disagrees with your judgement, their life has no meaning? Yes, this book did contain touching events and messages about love. But the characters were highly unrealistic. The typical blonde-haired blue-eyed angelic Lucie and prince charming Darnay goes about as deep as a fairy tale 5 year olds enjoy. Carton was indeed admirable, but that hardly makes up for the rest of the book's unrealistic and boring characters. <br><br>You enjoyed the book, and I didn't. Sure, I agree to disagree. But your comment on people just not being 'educated' or 'mature' enough is plain egotistical and ignorant.

I couldn't agree with you more. People are allowed to have differing tastes. Just because someone doesn't like this book does not mean they are immature or uneducated. Seems to me that anyone who believes their view or opinion to be the only view or opinion, is the one who is immature and uneducated. Different strokes for different folks, people. JMHO.

KathieM

Blog Entries
    Though I disagree with unregistered (leave a name so we can credit you!)'s views that Lucie and Darnay are as unrealistic and shallow as a 5 year old's fairy tale character (that clause has serious grammer issues), I do agree with your overall point. Tale of Two Cities is one of my favourite books and I am a huge fan of classic - what some seem to call "deep" - literature, however, I do not support the idea that this love makes me more educated than others.
    I'm curious to know what you are basing this on? Likewise, can I say "well, I listen to Mozart and appreciate Van Gough, so I am more educated than you." No. People have tates, tates differ. The educated person knows to keep an open mind and realize that we live in a world of choices - people have the choice to read what they want, think what the want, etc. etc. People have the choice to agree and disagree with what I'm saying - that's what it is to be educated - not smart, but observant. You can name every country and it's captial but I wouldn't call you an educated person if you say that those who appreciate Dickens are better than those who don't.

Oh, and by the bye Britney: Dickens did not hide meaning if every sing word. He was a "paid by the word author" and he really knew how to stretch out a sentence to make it fill a page. I didn't find this so much so in A Tale of Two Cities, but such works as Bleak House and Dombey and Son, there were some parts that were unecasarily lengthy.
    Last edited by Charles Darnay; 06-25-2006 at 10:58 PM.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...