Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: darwin, nietzsche and thoreau...

BUCKLE UP!

all the answers to all the great questions were simply wrong prior to 1858...

now what are you gonna do about it, philosophy chatters?

that's where you need to reach for your nietzsche and thoreau and head to the woods...

dance in those woods, philosophy chatters...dance in those woods...

ROAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Cioran View Post
    Man is an animal, nothing but an animal, sharing common ancestors with other animals via evolution.
    Haha I wish I could agree with you but I fail to see the link.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by country doctor View Post
    BUCKLE UP!

all the answers to all the great questions were simply wrong prior to 1858...

now what are you gonna do about it, philosophy chatters?

that's where you need to reach for your nietzsche and thoreau and head to the woods...

dance in those woods, philosophy chatters...dance in those woods...

ROAR!
    Although you know that I think like Frost regarding the woods, I have to agree that these philosophy chatters would do much better in there.

spring in the heartland, philosophy chatters...time to grab your books and head to the lakes and woods...

and don't forget to dance under that natural canopy...

the doc types...

dance, philosophy chatters...dance...

and...

then...

ROAR!

if philosophy is dead then thinking is dead.
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Quote Originally Posted by hypatia_ View Post
    if philosophy is dead then thinking is dead.
    There is no doubt about that for you. LOL

no because i think thinking is still alive and well
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

BUCKLE UP!

the doc re-read many of the works from the german master this summer, philosophy chatters...nutritious, as always...

this fall he's gonna work through thoreau's contemporary, emerson...pretty much his whole catalog...should be a nice yin to the german master's yang, if you know what the doc's typin'...

ROAR!

Doc, what do ye prescribe?

BUCKLE UP!

plenty of yin and yang, barnackian...plenty of yin and yang...

ROAR!

The usual set is:
    Darwin
    Nietzsche
    Freud
    Marx

These are the people who showed the self-satisfied 19th century, which thought it finally understood everything and had morality and right behavior neatly wrapped up, that in fact they understood nothing. Marx's presence is traditional, but questionable when your viewpoint is more philosophical than historical. He's there because his impact was tremendous, but his insights into alienation are overshadowed by his bad economics and bad psychologizing. It might be better to replace him with Einstein and/or Maxwell.

Thoreau might belong on that list, but his work is fundamentally dishonest. He praised his life of simplicity, yet it was entirely enabled by the work of others; the very industry that he ridiculed provided the food that he ate (contemporaries said during his Walden period he generally dined at various houses in Concord), the books and conversation he enjoyed, the clothing he wore, the town he frequented, the peace and security he required. Nor would his lifestyle have been possible for a man with a family. There may be wisdom in it, but I would rather see its efficacy demonstrated honestly.
    Last edited by Bad Horse; 03-01-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Horse View Post
    It might be better to replace him with ... Maxwell.
    Useful to work out how to get your dynamo working. But for a way to dance with modern life? Try reading Conrad instead.

BUCKLE UP!

thoughts while walkin'...

the german master's instincts were quite good vis-à-vis the theories of Darwin...a good fit, so to type...

still...you want to find some peace in a world gone wrong, philosophy chatters?

you eventually need to turn to Thoreau for those last few pieces to the 'good livin' puzzle...

thus typed the doc...

ROAR!

the doc isn't so sure anymore...he might not agree with all of his philosophical thoughts from years past...then again he might...the doc does know one thing still...and that is to be totally free one must know how to...

ROAR!

Blog Entries
    haha
    Yeah, the Lion's Roar
    That is true my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B5EluJhpqw
    Tara Brach -- Lion's Roar

Come around some more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123