Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ist Manifesto

The audience hated 'The Rites of Spring' when it was first performed because it sounded unlike anything they had heard before in the setting of classical orchestral music performance - the same analogy could be applied to Dylan when he first 'went electric'. The audience response was hostile in the extreme.

But no one denied that Stravinski and Dylan had/have talent - it's just that the audience expected them to display these talents in a more listener-friendly manner and were ill-prepared for such revolutionary behaviour.

The difference is that Wolf doesn't have the innate talent to be able to take such risks - he is setting out to alienate his audience (whom he sees as puritanical snobs hung-up on 19th-century poetry???) and that's pretty much his manifesto as an artist. It's all about being a misunderstood maverick who counts being loathed by the mainstream as his validation rather than making an artistic statement that has some aesthetic legitimacy.

H

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    The audience hated 'The Rites of Spring' when it was first performed because it sounded unlike anything they had heard before in the setting of classical orchestral music performance - the same analogy could be applied to Dylan when he first 'went electric'. The audience response was hostile in the extreme.

But no one denied that Stravinski and Dylan had/have talent - it's just that the audience expected them to display these talents in a more listener-friendly manner and were ill-prepared for such revolutionary behaviour.

The difference is that Wolf doesn't have the innate talent to be able to take such risks - he is setting out to alienate his audience (whom he sees as puritanical snobs hung-up on 19th-century poetry???) and that's pretty much his manifesto as an artist. It's all about being a misunderstood maverick who counts being loathed by the mainstream as his validation rather than making an artistic statement that has some aesthetic legitimacy.

H
    Though, of course, in order to alienate your audience, you first have to win an audience you can subsequently alienate.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewlay Brother View Post
    Sarah Palin is a bit embarrassing for Conservatives because she is such a caricature. The same goes for Wolf, but with liberals.
    I understood the analogy (though it doesn't work, because Wolf would have to have as much influence and power over the liberal community as Palin does the conseevative); what I don't understand is why a political analogy has any relevance within the context of this thread. I also don't understand your obsession with constantly bringing up the conservative-versus-liberal debate when it has nothing at all to do with the current discussion.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if Wolf is a literary revolutionary or not or if he has talent or what? I do think he's got a je nais sais quoi that draws LitNutters to his posts like a maggot, er, magnet. Oh, I Kid, I kid.

Seriously, though, Wolf, if we were granted a peek at your bedstand or lamp table, what kinds of works would we see there? I for one am extremely interested in which writers you read regularly and which ones you admire.

Please be specific. Maybe if we read the things you do we'd inch closer to your revolutionary point of view.

I'm not being sarcastic, just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    I understood the analogy (though it doesn't work, because Wolf would have to have as much influence and power over the liberal community as Palin does the conseevative); what I don't understand is why a political analogy has any relevance within the context of this thread. I also don't understand your obsession with constantly bringing up the conservative-versus-liberal debate when it has nothing at all to do with the current discussion.
    Well every single post of Wolf he goes on some rant calling all conservatives prudish and unartistic and pigheaded and bigoted. I didn't realize I was fixating on that. I can tone it down.

Well, yeah. But, in the sense that he uses 'conservative' the opposite is not 'liberal'.

On top of which, just because he rails against conservatives, doesn't mean that he isn't one. It's arguable he is one, actually - inasmuchas he's making the standard complaints about the apparent status quo that everyone makes when they're young. He's bang on the stereotype - and you can't get much more conservative than that.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 01-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    I don't know if Wolf is a literary revolutionary or not or if he has talent or what? I do think he's got a je nais sais quoi that draws LitNutters to his posts like a maggot, er, magnet. Oh, I Kid, I kid.

Seriously, though, Wolf, if we were granted a peek at your bedstand or lamp table, what kinds of works would we see there? I for one am extremely interested in which writers you read regularly and which ones you admire.

Please be specific. Maybe if we read the things you do we'd inch closer to your revolutionary point of view.

I'm not being sarcastic, just curious!
    I agree, AuntShecky. I'm curious also.

In addition to the books, I would also like to know what music and movies you like, Wolf. I am amazed at the way you are able to attract attention and get people--including myself--to post a comment.

Blog Entries

Smile An explanation for everything.

An explanation for everything.

To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
    Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!
    Ffffrrrrroooooooonnnnnng!
    Gajink! Foooork! Hicup! Wooooooonnnnnggg!
    UuuuurrrrRRRRrrrrroooOOOOOooowwwwww!
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, thanks for clearing things up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post

To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    A couple posters responded in a friendly manner and posed to you a staightforward question. This is how you respond? Gibberish? Madness is your ideal? Your goal is the elimination of all standard, even that of meaning, of sense. Anything goes. Anarchy in its worst pejorative sense.

This is just tedious now.

I think the giveaway here is that if you really believed that that explained it, you wouldn't have felt it necessary to tell us that that explained it. You'd have the confidence simply to start typing at 'Zuuuuu...' without the preamble about what it was intended to accomplish.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 01-21-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We are now no longer the Knights who say 'Ni'. We are now the Knights who say... 'Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.'
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries

Smile

Lokasenna said:
    We are now no longer the Knights who say 'Ni'. We are now the Knights who say... 'Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.'
    Wolf responds: Yes! Yes! Zoom-Boing! Zoom-Boing! Membrane gone hiiiiiiirrooooooowwwwww! Zwop!

PTANG is the fluorescence of Boom-Bang-Wow!

Fnnnaaaafiiily?
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Blog Entries
    I've always wanted to critique a poem that I didn't understand or was not even able to decipher by writing gibberish in return.

One problem with doing that, however, is the poet I would be critiquing would not realize it was a critique unless I introduced the nonsense with a readable explanation. Another problem with doing that is other readers would think there was something wrong with me which might be the case for all I know.

so i
    we23
    yy
    flying in the air air air air--long line--air air air air air
    air hi yes it
    wel9923
    my password
    no it aint
    ha you we something
    else and so
    Last edited by YesNo; 01-21-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I added some color and more "air"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast