Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81

Thread: A Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ist Manifesto

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,053
    The audience hated 'The Rites of Spring' when it was first performed because it sounded unlike anything they had heard before in the setting of classical orchestral music performance - the same analogy could be applied to Dylan when he first 'went electric'. The audience response was hostile in the extreme.

    But no one denied that Stravinski and Dylan had/have talent - it's just that the audience expected them to display these talents in a more listener-friendly manner and were ill-prepared for such revolutionary behaviour.

    The difference is that Wolf doesn't have the innate talent to be able to take such risks - he is setting out to alienate his audience (whom he sees as puritanical snobs hung-up on 19th-century poetry???) and that's pretty much his manifesto as an artist. It's all about being a misunderstood maverick who counts being loathed by the mainstream as his validation rather than making an artistic statement that has some aesthetic legitimacy.

    H

  2. #32
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    The audience hated 'The Rites of Spring' when it was first performed because it sounded unlike anything they had heard before in the setting of classical orchestral music performance - the same analogy could be applied to Dylan when he first 'went electric'. The audience response was hostile in the extreme.

    But no one denied that Stravinski and Dylan had/have talent - it's just that the audience expected them to display these talents in a more listener-friendly manner and were ill-prepared for such revolutionary behaviour.

    The difference is that Wolf doesn't have the innate talent to be able to take such risks - he is setting out to alienate his audience (whom he sees as puritanical snobs hung-up on 19th-century poetry???) and that's pretty much his manifesto as an artist. It's all about being a misunderstood maverick who counts being loathed by the mainstream as his validation rather than making an artistic statement that has some aesthetic legitimacy.

    H
    Though, of course, in order to alienate your audience, you first have to win an audience you can subsequently alienate.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewlay Brother View Post
    Sarah Palin is a bit embarrassing for Conservatives because she is such a caricature. The same goes for Wolf, but with liberals.
    I understood the analogy (though it doesn't work, because Wolf would have to have as much influence and power over the liberal community as Palin does the conseevative); what I don't understand is why a political analogy has any relevance within the context of this thread. I also don't understand your obsession with constantly bringing up the conservative-versus-liberal debate when it has nothing at all to do with the current discussion.

  4. #34
    Inexplicably Undiscovered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Posts
    5,021
    Blog Entries
    72
    I don't know if Wolf is a literary revolutionary or not or if he has talent or what? I do think he's got a je nais sais quoi that draws LitNutters to his posts like a maggot, er, magnet. Oh, I Kid, I kid.

    Seriously, though, Wolf, if we were granted a peek at your bedstand or lamp table, what kinds of works would we see there? I for one am extremely interested in which writers you read regularly and which ones you admire.

    Please be specific. Maybe if we read the things you do we'd inch closer to your revolutionary point of view.

    I'm not being sarcastic, just curious!

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    I understood the analogy (though it doesn't work, because Wolf would have to have as much influence and power over the liberal community as Palin does the conseevative); what I don't understand is why a political analogy has any relevance within the context of this thread. I also don't understand your obsession with constantly bringing up the conservative-versus-liberal debate when it has nothing at all to do with the current discussion.
    Well every single post of Wolf he goes on some rant calling all conservatives prudish and unartistic and pigheaded and bigoted. I didn't realize I was fixating on that. I can tone it down.

  6. #36
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    Well, yeah. But, in the sense that he uses 'conservative' the opposite is not 'liberal'.

    On top of which, just because he rails against conservatives, doesn't mean that he isn't one. It's arguable he is one, actually - inasmuchas he's making the standard complaints about the apparent status quo that everyone makes when they're young. He's bang on the stereotype - and you can't get much more conservative than that.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 01-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.

  7. #37
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    I don't know if Wolf is a literary revolutionary or not or if he has talent or what? I do think he's got a je nais sais quoi that draws LitNutters to his posts like a maggot, er, magnet. Oh, I Kid, I kid.

    Seriously, though, Wolf, if we were granted a peek at your bedstand or lamp table, what kinds of works would we see there? I for one am extremely interested in which writers you read regularly and which ones you admire.

    Please be specific. Maybe if we read the things you do we'd inch closer to your revolutionary point of view.

    I'm not being sarcastic, just curious!
    I agree, AuntShecky. I'm curious also.

    In addition to the books, I would also like to know what music and movies you like, Wolf. I am amazed at the way you are able to attract attention and get people--including myself--to post a comment.

  8. #38
    The Wolf of Larsen WolfLarsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Creating a new universe
    Posts
    761
    Blog Entries
    87

    Smile An explanation for everything.

    An explanation for everything.

    To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
    Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!
    Ffffrrrrroooooooonnnnnng!
    Gajink! Foooork! Hicup! Wooooooonnnnnggg!
    UuuuurrrrRRRRrrrrroooOOOOOooowwwwww!
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    Well, thanks for clearing things up.

  10. #40
    Registered User Darcy88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,963
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    An explanation for everything.

    To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
    Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!
    Ffffrrrrroooooooonnnnnng!
    Gajink! Foooork! Hicup! Wooooooonnnnnggg!
    UuuuurrrrRRRRrrrrroooOOOOOooowwwwww!
    A couple posters responded in a friendly manner and posed to you a staightforward question. This is how you respond? Gibberish? Madness is your ideal? Your goal is the elimination of all standard, even that of meaning, of sense. Anything goes. Anarchy in its worst pejorative sense.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    An explanation for everything.

    To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
    Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!
    Ffffrrrrroooooooonnnnnng!
    Gajink! Foooork! Hicup! Wooooooonnnnnggg!
    UuuuurrrrRRRRrrrrroooOOOOOooowwwwww!
    This is just tedious now.

  12. #42
    www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    An explanation for everything.

    To answer your questions about Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ism and its philosophies I have the following to say:

    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrroooooppp! Pliiiiiiinnnng! AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
    Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!
    Ffffrrrrroooooooonnnnnng!
    Gajink! Foooork! Hicup! Wooooooonnnnnggg!
    UuuuurrrrRRRRrrrrroooOOOOOooowwwwww!
    I think the giveaway here is that if you really believed that that explained it, you wouldn't have felt it necessary to tell us that that explained it. You'd have the confidence simply to start typing at 'Zuuuuu...' without the preamble about what it was intended to accomplish.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 01-21-2012 at 04:24 AM.

  13. #43
    Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a lurid pink building...
    Posts
    2,769
    Blog Entries
    5
    We are now no longer the Knights who say 'Ni'. We are now the Knights who say... 'Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.'
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

  14. #44
    The Wolf of Larsen WolfLarsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Creating a new universe
    Posts
    761
    Blog Entries
    87

    Smile

    Lokasenna said:
    We are now no longer the Knights who say 'Ni'. We are now the Knights who say... 'Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.'
    Wolf responds: Yes! Yes! Zoom-Boing! Zoom-Boing! Membrane gone hiiiiiiirrooooooowwwwww! Zwop!

    PTANG is the fluorescence of Boom-Bang-Wow!

    Fnnnaaaafiiily?
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

  15. #45
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've always wanted to critique a poem that I didn't understand or was not even able to decipher by writing gibberish in return.

    One problem with doing that, however, is the poet I would be critiquing would not realize it was a critique unless I introduced the nonsense with a readable explanation. Another problem with doing that is other readers would think there was something wrong with me which might be the case for all I know.


    so i
    we23
    yy
    flying in the air air air air--long line--air air air air air
    air hi yes it
    wel9923
    my password
    no it aint
    ha you we something
    ****
    else and so
    Last edited by YesNo; 01-21-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I added some color and more "air"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop
    By WolfLarsen in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
  2. a manifesto
    By WolfLarsen in forum General Writing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
  3. Thoughts on Reality Hunger: A Manifesto
    By Dark Muse in forum General Literature
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
  4. Ayn Rand
    By Analfabeta in forum General Literature
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •