Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: A Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-ist Manifesto

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty View Post
    I'd like to apologize for my previous post, mostly because Scheherzade is absolutely right. If I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

In any case, if your writing has a goal, and you feel that you are striving and reaching higher as a writer, WolfLarsen, then I have no right to admonish your efforts, simply because I don't understand them. It seems that your writing is as religion is to some people-- And perhaps more like poetry: Personal, and perhaps not meant to be understood. And not meant to be constructively critiqued by the uninitiated.

The words that I do understand are a bit crude and disrupt the entire scat-man rhythm it appears that you are attempting to achieve. The zippity doo-wongs do more than the 'fart', that is.

It kind of reminds me of the monkeys in the Jungle book, doing their random, crazy singing and making rhythmic noises. You know, that song with Baloo the bear and the Monkey King, and they sing, ''I wanna be like you!'' ?

Maybe there's some kind of jazzy melody in the background?

But again, in my opinion at least, stylistically the words chosen can be more 'cool cat', if you know what I'm saying.

Just my two cents.
    Funny you should mention jazz, because all Wolf is really doing is scat, a singing method started in the 30s by jazz singers in an attempt to use their voice as a pure instrument, without words. Louis Prima, who voiced the main ape in The Jungle Book, was known for doing scat.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to apologize for my previous post, mostly because Scheherzade is absolutely right. If I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

In any case, if your writing has a goal, and you feel that you are striving and reaching higher as a writer, WolfLarsen, then I have no right to admonish your efforts, simply because I don't understand them. It seems that your writing is as religion is to some people-- And perhaps more like poetry: Personal, and perhaps not meant to be understood. And not meant to be constructively critiqued by the uninitiated.

The words that I do understand are a bit crude and disrupt the entire scat-man rhythm it appears that you are attempting to achieve. The zippity doo-wongs do more than the 'fart', that is.

It kind of reminds me of the monkeys in the Jungle book, doing their random, crazy singing and making rhythmic noises. You know, that song with Baloo the bear and the Monkey King, and they sing, ''I wanna be like you!'' ?

Maybe there's some kind of jazzy melody in the background?

But again, in my opinion at least, stylistically the words chosen can be more 'cool cat', if you know what I'm saying.

Just my two cents.
    Funny you should mention jazz, because all Wolf is really doing is scat, a singing method started in the 30s by jazz singers in an attempt to use their voice as a pure instrument, without words. Louis Prima, who voiced the main ape in The Jungle Book, was known for doing scat.

Edit: This may have come off as a bit patronizing to you, BookBeautt, as I only skimmed your post before replying. You obviously know what scat is already.

No worries, Mutatis-Mutandi! I often do the same thing.

I wonder if WolfLarsen sings his posts out loud before he puts them out here.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Actually, I think that's exactly what Scheherezade didn't say. What she said was, "If you can't bear to hear something not nice, don't say anything at all." In other words, addressing those who post their work, 'not everyone's going to be nice about it, so if you can't take that, keep your writing to yourself'.

If she'd said what you interpreted she said, I for one would be out of here so fast that the vacuum would close with a pop behind me - partly because that'd be no way to run a literature site, and secondly because, if the choice was to say something nice or say nothing, there'd be very little point my being here.
    Available now for the e-reader on your bedside table.

Ah! I went back and re-read what was posted, and I now see that I was in error in my interpretation. It appears it was about the reception of criticism rather than the writing of criticism. And yet, I am still hesitant to withdraw my previous statement. I was a bit harsh upon first glance.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post
    If you were at a luncheon and someone began to hectically gesticulate and incoherently babble, and persisted to do so in the face of repeated remonstrance, driving you to leave in a subsequent fit of frustration, the responsibility for your departure would not belong to you alone.
    At a luncheon, where everyone is physically present together, sure. But this is an online forum, where you must go to the babble, rather than the babble being in your face. We all choose to click on a thread or not, and thus any frustration with the contents of that thread is purely self-inflicted.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456