Thread: The real hero

Lizella

The real hero

This book is definitely completely different from any other (and I have read many) books by Charles Dickens! I do have to agree with most of the comments, that many characters, well, had not much character. With one glorious exception: Sydney Carton. At first I thought him interesting, even more by every second and then his final deed. I felt like no, damn nobility, but I realize this had to be his end in the end.

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    I know! lets all give our favorite inebriate a BIG hug! (Hey, it's Valentine's Day!)

*Hugs Sydney*

When I was reading this book to my dad and we got the end, he said to me, "Don't tell me they kill him! Lucie and and the rest just have to save him!" He was so sad when he died...but yeah, he's so awesome. He's ranks as my number one favorite as a fictional character.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

In Arden with a book
    I have a distinct memory of sitting in a classroom with thirty fourteen-year-old girls going "OOOh" the instant Sydney makes his appearance in the courtroom scene and mourning vehemently at the end. My class got a wee bit obbsessed. As my English teacher said, "Every woman needs a Sydney Carton in her life."

It really is Carton's book. I don't really think the rest of the cast is suppoed to have much dimension, they're just there to highlight the one with the character arc.

Out of curiousity, how do you think Carton compares to Dickens' other characters, in terms of development? (I've heard a lot of people on complete opposite ends of the argument over Dickens' characterization).

P.S. Lily, I love your avatar! My so-called friends mock me for liking that musical.

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind View Post
    I have a distinct memory of sitting in a classroom with thirty fourteen-year-old girls going "OOOh" the instant Sydney makes his appearance in the courtroom scene and mourning vehemently at the end. My class got a wee bit obbsessed. As my English teacher said, "Every woman needs a Sydney Carton in her life."

It really is Carton's book. I don't really think the rest of the cast is suppoed to have much dimension, they're just there to highlight the one with the character arc.

Out of curiousity, how do you think Carton compares to Dickens' other characters, in terms of development? (I've heard a lot of people on complete opposite ends of the argument over Dickens' characterization).

P.S. Lily, I love your avatar! My so-called friends mock me for liking that musical.

Hahaha! Indeed! Sydney's awesome, but Sydney fangirls can be scary sometimes.

Yes, I agree with you there on Sydney being there to highlight the other characters...

Well, I haven't read many other Dickens books, but Pip from Great Expectations reminds me of him. You know, the whole unrequited love thing and utter devotion to a woman. And this reminds me of Mr. Dickens himself, ha ha! He obviously likes to put his own character and other people's characters who he knew into his novels.

Yes! I adore 1776! It's so amazing. The song "Is Anybody There" makes me cry every time. Not to mention the movie is wicked funny and shows the founding fathers in a light never seen before. *cough*Franklin!*cough* My friends make fun of me, too, but I've got a couple to actually like it because I made them watch it.
    Last edited by Lily Adams; 02-16-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just read A Tale of Two Cities for the first time and Sydney is totally my hero!! It's interesting how he's not mentioned in the book as much as the other charaters, but the book is ALL about him. Go Carton!!

As with Dickens other novels, the main character is not always the center of attention. (i.e. Oliver Twist has lots of underplots and characters surrounding Oliver.) I think Dickens is trying to show that bad people can do good things too and that self-sacrifice defines the true hero.
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJbibliophil View Post
    As with Dickens other novels, the main character is not always the center of attention. (i.e. Oliver Twist has lots of underplots and characters surrounding Oliver.) I think Dickens is trying to show that bad people can do good things too and that self-sacrifice defines the true hero.
    Piglet you're back!! Welcome back. I have not seen you around in a while. Hope things are well.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

It's funny you should mention this, because when I first read the story, I instantly felt that Carton was the hero. Darney is just going with the flow.