Like many others, I was requierd to read this novel for an assignment at school. I am a freshman and just looking at the size of this book is intimidating. I'll be honest, I wasn't enthusiastic to read the first several chapters because they were just way too slow moving, but once i reached the middle and ending of the novel I realized that Charles Dickens was trying to communicate a very important theme and moral in his work. Not only is this a book about the French Revolution, and all of the tragic and unbelievable events that occured in France and England at the time, but also of love and friendship. Sydney Carton took his own life for the woman he loved so she could remain happily with the man she loved. He died not only for Lucie Manette, but for Charles Darnay and his child. I could not even imagine such passion and altruism. Try to put yourslef in Carton's position and imagine how much love he must have felt for this family that he would take Darnay's spot on "death row" just to have the family united and together. I, honestly would be scared to death! I could never do that! I believe Carton expressed pure and extreme altruism in his heroic and corageous decision. I really enjoyed this classic novel, and learned a lot from it. Could you imagine living back then when it was ILLEGAL to mourn for a prisoner? When someone can just write a letter de cachet and have you arrested for a reason so stupid and simple as an old grudge from family disputes many years ago? It must have been terrifying that at any moment you or someone you know and love can be arrested and ordered to be killed. I deeply recomend reading this novel, even though it is a little slow at the beginning, it is definately worth it