Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the BBC's Great Expectations.

This is tangentially related:

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2011/11/05...-expectations/

... so, in case the BBC miniseries didn't do it for you, maybe the BBC film will?

J

Pip's mouth disturbed me a lot. I didn't find him "hot" whatsoever.

Nothing comes close to the 1999 version!

I didn't watch it. I saw the posters of the pretty boy who played adult Pip and watched a couple of the trailers and took against it. The actress who played the adult Estella looked hatchet-faced and not pretty enough. You cannot have Pip looking more attractive than Estella. I was not sure about Gillian Anderson playing Miss Haversham. According to Dickens' notes and also by working it out, she is about the right age, but in the book she seems much older. She is about the same age as Magwitch, but is prematurely aged. In the trailer I saw, Dickens' lines had been completely substituted by the scriptwriter's lines, which not surprisingly were not as good. This was one of the first meetings between Pip, Miss Haversham and Estella, which were my favourite parts of the book. I hear the child Pip was very good, but he spoke in a working-class, Kentish accent. He probably would have done in real life too, but he doesn't in the book, and that is deliberate. Pip is an unreliable narrator. Personally, I prefer Dickens' second ending, the one that was published. It seems most book lovers prefer the first ending, the meeting in the street, but it's too harsh for me. It seems the ending is often changed when transferred to screen. In the David Lean version, Pip saves Estella from Lady Haversham's spirit by tearing down the curtains in Satis House. In the 1980's BBC series Pip breaks into Satis House and unexpectedly runs into Estella, who had decided not to marry Bentley Drummel.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

It might as well have been filmed in black and white there seemed to be only three colours - grey, green and yellow. Also, did they have to make Orlick look like a zombie? Who would ever employ a guy looking like that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12