Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Subject

Unregistered

No Subject

I have to read it too. I agree, this book has very little interesting tips to it. It is rather dull and I cant comprehend it because it is so boring, and I can read most stuff. This tops my boring books, along with Ecology of a cracker childhood<br>

Jennie

No Subject

Then why read it?<br><br>This is why God invented Spark Notes. Be like everyone else, cheat.<br><br>As you are obviously not mature enough to understand Dicken's deeper meaning.<br><br>Or intelligent enough to read into the allusions to so many other things at every turn.<br><br><br>Seriously. <br><br>*J

Peter

No Subject

Or dont cheat it doesnt matter weather you cheat or not or read the book. I througly enjoyed it. It made me move but your not capable of rendering the terminology and tranquility of specified revelations intertwined within the masterpeice. My sugestion is that you find a book on a lower level of intellegence and meaning. A Tale Of Two Cities may at times seems dull and vaped but you need to learn to love the understanding and depth of the mature realities and life situations compiled in Dickens note. <br><br> -C.J. Peter (Philly represent)

Unregistered

No Subject

i agree with u 100% im a senior in high school and i didn't understand anything that he was saying for that reason alone the book sucked and will always suck.

Unregistered

No Subject

I think that you havn't made your way through to BOOK III and that's why you think that it is extremely boring. When you read through BOOK III which is about the Reign of Terror in France, you will find the description is very accurate.

GeneralD

No Subject

You made your comments on my birthday! Keep on reading for a few years and someday you will be ready to try this book again. Reading is never as fun when it is work. Try reading it on your own time someday.<br><br>David-Sac, CA

Unregistered

No Subject

I agree...im in 8th grade gifted and i had to read it. it really sucked and i didnt understand barely any of it!

Jon Moffett

No Subject

HOnestly this book could be the most eliquent and forlorn book i have ever got my hooks on. I jumped on the chance to read this just as i jump on my cute boyfriend daren.

kt

No Subject

Don't say the book was bad. The book was was great, & it had wonderful meaning. If you don't like it, you can go right ahead & say so. I've had books I didn't like, but it wasn't that the book sucked it was that I didn't like that particular style of writing. So please don't discredit the book because you don't like that style of writing.

Unregistered

No Subject

Well, I can see that alot of these past people commenting on Charles Dickens are all in HIGHSCHOOL! For all of the people who commented on this book and didn't like it, I'm laughing. Why? Because if you can't bring yourselves to deepen your thoughts and try to enjoy the grand books in classic literature, youre all going to be hurtin pretty bad. When you go to college, youre going to be regretting the fact that you didn't try to spend more time finding the things in this book that you liked. Most of you will have to read this at least 2 times during college for english classes youre required to take. And don't think you'll have the option of cheating, because in college, cheating isnt an option at all.

Unregistered

No Subject

This is for Jess. Anyone who spells cant without an apostrophe obviously has bitten off more than he can chew by attempting to read, even more so to understand, "The Tale of Two Cities". The themes of resurrection and sacrifice are themes that 99% of mankind have never experienced. It was a moving, entertaining novel, if you could muster some patience through the first book.<br>And, by the way, using Spark notes is not cheating. Unless you are a complete moron and copy it word for word. That's called plagiarism. Duh. Quit your griping. Try to get two brain cells to rub together simultaneously and get your reading done.

tam

No Subject

if you liked this book, you are a complete nerd. this is the most boring book i have ever read in my life, i read the first two pages and fell asleep. i cannot believe why us highschool students are forced to read this bs.

Jess

No Subject

This book really sucked. It's boring and a torture to read. I'll have to agree with someone else who made a comment about it saying that they felt like throwing it against a wall because that's precisely what I'd like to do with it. Unfortunately, I am forced to read it.

This conversation need either a peace treaty or a mod editing.

Beg pardon... I am sure that I have never read anyhing quite so inspiring. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I seemed to have an understanding of ATOTC when I read it years ago in junior high. I found it to be astoundingly passionate, quite well-developed, and not at all archaic or difficult. I can explain all themes and whatnot if you want proof! And by the way, Spark Notes are never the way to get through a book. If you are suited for the level of a certain work, then read it. If not, then wait. There's a reason why libraries have sections categorized by age grouping.
    Unregistered 06-03-2004, I was in eighth grade, too. ATOTC was incredible, not stupid. The language was meant for the times. If you find yourself unable to comprehend an older style of writing, then I suggest you take a serious look through the children's/teen's section for a modern read that will satisfy you. It's better manners not to slander a book and ruin others' opinions.
    I've read many books far older and more archaic than Dickens's novels and enjoyed every one of them. I'm not afraid to confess: I'm a geek and proud of it!

I've read many books far older and more archaic than Dickens's novels and enjoyed every one of them. I'm not afraid to confess: I'm a geek and proud of it!
    I agree with you 100%, Neverland1247!
    It's weird. My English class just had a conversation quite like this on the past Friday. There was one kid in our class who brought up the fact that there are a ton of teachers in our regional district, not necessarily our school, who are putting higher and higher level books into their curriculum. That is not to say that one in that position cannot comprehend what is being written. I'm sure there are tons of students out there who would be able to handle the reading, the vocabulary, and be able to process the plot. One such example is a teacher a few towns away from my school , who is trying to get his eighth graders to read Catcher in the Rye. Now, I haven't read this book yet and I'm sure the kids in the class can handle the reading material, but they don't bring the experience needed to understand the deeper depths of the story.
    Well, I can see that alot of these past people commenting on Charles Dickens are all in HIGHSCHOOL! For all of the people who commented on this book and didn't like it, I'm laughing. Why? Because if you can't bring yourselves to deepen your thoughts and try to enjoy the grand books in classic literature, youre all going to be hurtin pretty bad. When you go to college, youre going to be regretting the fact that you didn't try to spend more time finding the things in this book that you liked. Most of you will have to read this at least 2 times during college for english classes youre required to take. And don't think you'll have the option of cheating, because in college, cheating isnt an option at all.
    I think you make a great point here. There are many layers to books and one may not reach all of them on the first read (actually, I think that it is quite improbably that would happen). Each time one reads a novel, or hears a story again, or maybe even listens to a song, one may find a new level. People change all the time, and new experiences make us able to comprehend things that we might not have before. Even if one reads as carefully as they can on the first time, they still miss things or are just ignorant to them, whether that be through illiteracy or inexperience.
    Just as a side note, it's been a very long day and my fingers and brain are very tired, so I apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes that I'm too tired to look for and correct.
    "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." --Buddah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast