Thread: 1984 for high school students?

Question 1984 for high school students?

I believe that this book is a good choice for high school students. This book trains the average mind to begin to question authority. And in America, with a government by the people, for the people, our adolescents should be trained immediately to seek and address flaw in our government. This novel is the first step for the student to open their eyes and begin to question. But, should I stand corrected? Is this book not material for our youth?

Quote Originally Posted by HDGDL View Post
    I believe that this book is a good choice for high school students. This book trains the average mind to begin to question authority. And in America, with a government by the people, for the people, our adolescents should be trained immediately to seek and address flaw in our government. This novel is the first step for the student to open their eyes and begin to question. But, should I stand corrected? Is this book not material for our youth?
    There are so many ways to stimulate the critical. This book is insane. Anyone departing from such book to question government would develop insane questions rather than get to the needy greedy of specific issues properly assessed.

Could you provide examples of the types of insane questions people would derive had they jumped straight from this book rather than properly assessing? I agree with you but I am curious what you think.

I think 1984 is a pretty good book to read to engage in a discussion of power and politics, and the consequences of the surveillance society. The book is satirical, so some of the stuff has been exaggerated for comic effect, but the discussions of language and how propaganda works are worthwhile. Orwell's Animal Farm may be a better choice, as the animals establish a government and there are more direct discussions about power, the abuses of power and dictatorship. Either Animal farm or 1984 would give you something you could use.

I completely agree with you. It is time for students to start thinking critically about our government and the decisions it makes. The US as a whole is either not educated enough on political topics to make reasonable accusations, or they just don't care. Unfortunately, the government knows this and, in my opinion, is ready to take full advantage of the uneducated American people. What better way to begin educating citizens and forcing them to create their own opinions in politics and government than reading 1984?

I believe this book is an excellent choice for high school students. Not only is it entertaining, but it also get the students thinking and wondering about the future. It's always a good thing to keep the youth educated and interested in society so they do not become the lifeless proles of 1984. 1984 is a great read for all, and is what I believe to be a sort of warning towards the people so they do not let the government take complete and total control over the people. I would highly recommended 1984 to anyone looking for a fun read.