Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Which do you identify with

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vegetarian(I dont eat meat)

6 21.43%
  • Vegan(I dont use any animal product)

2 7.14%
  • Pescatarian(I eat fish only)

2 7.14%
  • Carnivore(hold the veggies give me the meat!)

0 0%
  • Omnivore(balanced diet)

17 60.71%
  • Doctors diet(you comply with one of the above for health only reasons)

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism Q&A and Holiday Manners!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Although I have little to say against vegetarianism, I would advise that anyone trying it study the subject enough to know if he/she's taking appropriate nutrition with what they eat. I know that vegetarianism is possible, but you must know what you are doing.
    It's not only possible but widely practiced on the Indian sub-continent by large groups of people. it is a myth that it is unhealthy, and the modern vegetarian is much more likely to note what they eat because they are on the lookout for meat products within foods.

Blog Entries
    like I said I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and just the other day my son was saying that it's not nice to eat pigs, we were at my mom's house and I want him to make his own decisions about this so I just asked him why and we chatted a bit and my mom stepped in and said that we can't live without meat, I just stared at her and reminded her that I'm not dead yet!

my mom has always thought me and my brother (he's a vegetarian too) make trouble with our diet so she really wants my son to eat meat.

also on the subject about making sure your eating right and staying healthy, I have to admit that I have never wondered about eating right, I make sure I don't eat anything with animal products in it but I am no health nut. I get blood tests every year and I have never needed anything. in perfect health (in theory).
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Banned
    I've eaten very little meat in my lifetime, and my physical and my blood tests show that I'm fine. I've never given too much thought to the fact that I'm vegetarian, I've never eaten any unusual vegetarian food, or thought about supplements, ect., other than a daily multivitamin.

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lady luck- actualy no lol, but not for moral reasons. I'm lactose intolerant- I would deff appreciate it, always fun to trade recipes! and experiance new things.

Maxi- your post always brighten my day- I will send you some as well as soon as I get them together ONLY if I get a couple authentic Spanish dishes in return.

Revolte- sadly I live in a small Meat-based town with most people raising beef cows. My first year consisted of pasta and Salad. This year walmart finaly started carrying morning star products and tofu I was in Heaven! I love their Chik'n' nuggets they have, and the corn dogs are incredible!!!

Helga- I long to move somewhere it is even half accepted- Sadly living in a farm town I dont see it happening any time soon. We have a vegetarian/vegan group with all of 3 members in our county. Nice to know I at least have a community to share with here

The only medical problem I have is hypo-kenesis (Low Potassium) which vegetariansim actualy hepls since most vegetarian foods have high potasium content and it doesnt get depleated as much as it does with the digestion of meat. I take a multi-vitamin specifcaly for vegetarians that includes a b-complex and I would recomend it to most people who choose that path simply as a percausion at least for the first year when they havent discovered the wide variety of vegetarian options. The first year is the hardest, as you dont generaly know anyone that is a vegetarian, everyone seems against you and its hard to find the means to meet your diatary needs immediatly it takes time to adjust to the new diet. but soooo worth it

On an entertaing note- When I see a cow or a pig I Smile and hug them, when they act funny I explain to them "Its okay I dont eat your family your safe with me!" this generaly gets a good laugh out of everyone.

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephofthenight View Post
    Lady luck- actualy no lol, but not for moral reasons. I'm lactose intolerant- I would deff appreciate it, always fun to trade recipes! and experiance new things.
    Got it My youngest is the same, so I can definitely work around that. I'll see what I have.

Blog Entries
    My all time favorite-
    Spicey Mexican Lasagna

preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Sautee one onion until translucent, than add peppers for just a minute-
    Prepare your refied beans (I mix a bottle of hotsauce in with mine) mix together garlic, onion, tomato paste(this is where I substitue the hotsauce) chili powder, and fajita seasoning.

Prepare-
    Layer hot sauce on bottom of pan
    Put a SOLID layer of tortilia (I use burrito sized) so it covers the entire pan
    Layer an even layer of refried beans
    Add another layer of tortilia
    Add veggies (onion and pepper mix) on top of that
    {I add jalapenios here, and cayanne pepper}
    than continue to layer this way until veggies and beans are gone- top layer should be tortillia!

Cook for about 60 minutes depending on pan size. about 10 minutes before I pull it I add a probably not so healthy size portion of soy-cheese on top and bake until melted

Items needed (refried beans, corn or flour tortilitas(I use flour), Salsa, 2 onions, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, fajita seasoning, bell pepper)

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Blog Entries
    Stuffed Bell Peppers

Preheat oven to 350-
    You need as many bellpeppers as you have people, two for heavy appatites. A bag of Sausage Style Crumbles, and mushrooms.

I personaly start with about 25 regular size mushrooms- Dice them up and sautee them (this guarentees I get at least 15 in the mix without eating them!) once the mushrooms are sauteed, add the sausage style crumbles mix and heat well- set aside to cool.
    Remove the top of your bell peppers clean the seeds out and trim the inside "stem" so you just have an even flat top. I season the inside of the peppers with red pepper, basil, and a little sea salt than stuff with your mixture place the top of the pepper back on and bake for about 25 minutes or until the peppers skin starts to wrinkle or the top gets a little golden on the bumps.

*One bag of crumbles does 3 medium size bell peppers

Blog Entries
    Stuffed Bell Peppers

Preheat oven to 350-
    You need as many bellpeppers as you have people, two for heavy appatites. A bag of Sausage Style Crumbles, and mushrooms.

I personaly start with about 25 regular size mushrooms- Dice them up and sautee them (this guarentees I get at least 15 in the mix without eating them!) once the mushrooms are sauteed, add the sausage style crumbles mix and heat well- set aside to cool.
    Remove the top of your bell peppers clean the seeds out and trim the inside "stem" so you just have an even flat top. I season the inside of the peppers with red pepper, basil, and a little sea salt than stuff with your mixture place the top of the pepper back on and bake for about 25 minutes or until the peppers skin starts to wrinkle or the top gets a little golden on the bumps.

I have concluded that I want that. Now.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Blog Entries
    Just out of curiosity what do other vegetarians eat during the holidays? (now I am asking like the people who annoy you).

my first few Christmases my mom bought what is called here a nut steak, now I make it myself and I love it, with mushroom souse it is so gooooood! but not everybody likes it mainly because people compare it to some bloody steak...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    Just out of curiosity what do other vegetarians eat during the holidays? (now I am asking like the people who annoy you).

my first few Christmases my mom bought what is called here a nut steak, now I make it myself and I love it, with mushroom souse it is so gooooood! but not everybody likes it mainly because people compare it to some bloody steak...
    There is a difference, you are asking as a vegetarian for suggestions and discussions. what annoys me is when there is that smartass tone of well what CAN you eat. implying that you have made their life difficult by your moral choices, or that you have offended them by not wanting their murdered turkey. I actualy enjoy conversations with people who honestly want to know. When people ask why I am a vegetarian and sit there and listen openly that is fine, I like when people ask me questions about well what about this, and I can see the look on their face of "oh! I didnt know they did that" but when people come across with the Why are you a vegetarian in the tone of why the hell would you want to do that, or like its some social stigma that pisses me off.

Oh and this is probably the holiday I use my vegetarianism to my advantage the most, in order to get away with just eating pumpkin pie, mashed potatos, brownies, cookies, cake, and all the stuff you arent suppose to eat by itself

Blog Entries
    My wife bought us a Quorn roast the other day for our Christmas dinner. We will be making a meat dish for my Mother in Law and Auntie who are also coming to us though. It has stopped being a problem with our family, and it was never one to speak of anyway.

At work, my vegetarianism - after the initial "you don't look like like a veggie to me Fatty" response - is usually a kind of embarrassed self justification. I don't raise the issue at all unless I need to tell someone. (They might be offering round something meaty they've made). I don't get stick for it, though where I work is very tolerant, and there are a number of veggies in our service.
    Last edited by Paulclem; 11-20-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Maxi- your post always brighten my day-
    That's why I posted

I will send you some as well as soon as I get them together ONLY if I get a couple authentic Spanish dishes in return.
    I'll see what I can do

On an entertaing note- When I see a cow or a pig I Smile and hug them, when they act funny I explain to them "Its okay I dont eat your family your safe with me!" this generaly gets a good laugh out of everyone.
    You should be aware that you are quite a unique case

My all time favorite-
    Spicey Mexican Lasagna

preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Sautee one onion until translucent, than add peppers for just a minute-
    Prepare your refied beans (I mix a bottle of hotsauce in with mine) mix together garlic, onion, tomato paste(this is where I substitue the hotsauce) chili powder, and fajita seasoning.

Prepare-
    Layer hot sauce on bottom of pan
    Put a SOLID layer of tortilia (I use burrito sized) so it covers the entire pan
    Layer an even layer of refried beans
    Add another layer of tortilia
    Add veggies (onion and pepper mix) on top of that
    {I add jalapenios here, and cayanne pepper}
    than continue to layer this way until veggies and beans are gone- top layer should be tortillia!

Cook for about 60 minutes depending on pan size. about 10 minutes before I pull it I add a probably not so healthy size portion of soy-cheese on top and bake until melted

Items needed (refried beans, corn or flour tortilitas(I use flour), Salsa, 2 onions, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, fajita seasoning, bell pepper)
    Stuffed Bell Peppers

Preheat oven to 350-

Thank you! I'll copy these

Banned
    This thing is adorable!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonny View Post
    This thing is adorable!!
    I will second that

Blog Entries
    It looks like I'm the only person to vote as a vegan, although to be perfectly honest I do use honey and occasionally eat something with dairy when eating out. However, my regular diet contains no dairy or eggs and I often make milk, cheese and other diary substitutes myself. (Cashews get used a lot for this purpose in my family.)

I'm fortunate in the holiday arena, because my holidays are usually spent with family on my mom's side, who (because most of us were raised in a religion that encourages vegetarianism) are either vegetarian, or very familiar with half the family being vegetarian/vegan. Sometimes someone will bring real turkey, or a dish with cheese, but the bulk of the meal is always vegetarian/vegan.

Actually, my family and I haven't eaten with many people who don't know about our vegetarianism. So I don't really remember if I've ever been confronted with having to guess or ask about the food.

The best example of eating with meat eaters I can think of was visiting some friends of my dad's this summer. I don't think we had told them beforehand that we are vegetarian, but they had put two and two together because they had attended a Coronary Health Improvement Project put on by members of our church, which promoted vegetarianism. Understanding they were trying to be accommodating of an unusual diet, we still ate some things we normally wouldn't - like cheese, mayo, and chocolate. But I don't think I'd ever eat meat just to be polite. I regard the veganism as more health-motivated, but the vegetarianism is hugely moral to me too.

And anyone interested in vegetarianism and health should see the recently released film "Forks Over Knives". After watching it I jokingly said to my dad, "I'm convinced. I'm going to stop eating pigs." (I've never eaten meat in my life. )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast