Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Which do you identify with

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vegetarian(I dont eat meat)

6 21.43%
  • Vegan(I dont use any animal product)

2 7.14%
  • Pescatarian(I eat fish only)

2 7.14%
  • Carnivore(hold the veggies give me the meat!)

0 0%
  • Omnivore(balanced diet)

17 60.71%
  • Doctors diet(you comply with one of the above for health only reasons)

1 3.57%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vegetarianism Q&A and Holiday Manners!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    It really is expensive, every year a little more. Are you sure about the cataracts? You know, scientists are forever finding that other scientists' findings were wrong

Like yours, I suppose

Has anyone thought about the footwear and clothing industries? For example, do you think there is an alternative to leather that might be as resistant as it is for shoemaking?
    Then I was thinking about the jet set whores wearing the furs and skins of murdered beavers, crocodiles, seals and so on. I'm aware that many would claim that this has been drastically changing over the years because of the high fear of Greenpeace boycotts and social reproval, but is it really the case?
    Would this be off-topic?
    Yes, like mine.

I know Adidas and Vans make durable vegan shoes. They might be too casual to replace leather, but I like them. Especially the Vans. Here are some for fellas:

http://vegankicks.com/wp-content/upl...kool-black.jpg

And PETA has this list of vegan shoe and clothing sellers, some of them carrying great leather alternatives:

http://www.peta.org/living/fashion/c...h-product.aspx

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that very interesting info, Var. I'll pay a look at it next time I go shoe-shopping

Blog Entries
    Rice pudding

Ingredients:
    # 33.8 fl oz of soy milk
    # 2 ˝ cup cooked brown rice
    # 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
    # 1 tbsp. of cornstarch pudding
    # lemon zest, at your own taste
    # 3 tbsps. of brown sugar (cane sugar, organic)

Preparation:
    Cook the rice in soy milk and lemon zest for 12 minutes. Dissolve the starch in cold water, sugar and add the rice. Boil for 5 more minutes. Let it cool down and serve in cups with sprinkled cinnamon.

Maybe because I'm Mexican is that our diet is very balanced even the food that has meat have a lot of veggies.

An example in my house there are vegetarians and omnivores, so when making pozole (a traditional dish) for Xmas, the original recipe includes meat, so we do one in the traditional way and also one in the vegetarian version that instead of meat have mushrooms, it actually tastes the same, cause the flavour comes mostly from the maize and the other spices.

I think if you know someone who is vegetarian and invite him over for a dinner you should know at least one or two vegetarian dishes to include in your dinner so to respect that person food preferences and also the others guests, it will take you a little more time in the kitchen but for a good time it's worth it.

Maximilianus... thanks for the recipe, I do my milk rice using coconut milk instead of soy milk, I'll be trying your recepy as soon as I can.
    Last edited by CarpeNixta; 12-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNixta View Post
    Maximilianus... thanks for the recipe, I do my milk rice using coconut milk instead of soy milk, I'll be trying your recepy as soon as I can.
    Welcome!
    I think coconut milk may be tastier for me than soy milk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    It really is expensive, every year a little more. Are you sure about the cataracts? You know, scientists are forever finding that other scientists' findings were wrong

Like yours, I suppose

Has anyone thought about the footwear and clothing industries? For example, do you think there is an alternative to leather that might be as resistant as it is for shoemaking?
    Then I was thinking about the jet set whores wearing the furs and skins of murdered beavers, crocodiles, seals and so on. I'm aware that many would claim that this has been drastically changing over the years because of the high fear of Greenpeace boycotts and social reproval, but is it really the case?
    Would this be off-topic?

best vegan shoes around are at vegetarian shoes here is the link:

http://vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

my brother bought shoes there 4 or 5 years ago and they are still fantastic I bought mine a year ago and love them!!!! best shoes ever!
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link, Helga.
    Do you wear any of the models for walking? If so, have you tried them on long walks? I have a problem with my heels and ankles and I often walk long distances, so I need comfy shoes with shock-absorbing features.

Blog Entries
    my shoes are the green airosole I think that is the name of them and they are so good, I'll admit that I have very very sensitive feet and for the first month I got very sore when I used them but I decided to use them anyway and when I had 'worn them in' they were and are perfect. they have special walking shoes too and my brother bought those and they are very good, soft and he walks a lot. the store is in London like the website says. I would love to go and visit. my experience of the shoes is good and also my brothers and his girlfriends she bought some fancy high heels there.

I can not say it often enough the shoes are great!!!
    Last edited by Helga; 12-05-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for all that data Helga. They sound perfect!

I would probably starve to death if I tried becoming a vegan. As a vegetarian I might get by, but only barely.

I'm allergic to pretty much everything, so I'm quite carnivorous. I'm allergic to fruit, vegetables, nuts and cereals. What I CAN eat is basically red meat, fish, chicken, rice and eggs. I'm actually even allergic to milk, but I still use dairy products (moderately), because the allergy isn't that bad. If I were to give up dairy products entirely, my milk allergy would probably just get worse and my diet would be even more limited than it is now.

I gave up most fruit and vegetables (raw/fresh - I still can eat some potatoes or carrots if they are thorougly cooked, but I can't even peel potatoes myself without getting blisters on my hands) already years ago, but it's only been a bit less than two years since I found out I'm allergic to cereals too. Oh how I miss eating bread... not to mention chocolate cake.

Thanks to the new diet (and the sytostates I've been taking for the past two years) my skin is in a much better shape than it used to be (I can actually walk without my skin hurting and I usually can sleep a whole night without waking up because of all the itching), but it does make my life quite complicated. It's a pain being invited anywhere, since I usually cannot eat anything other people eat. I don't mind not eating while others are having dinner, but it makes other people uncomfortable.

It's hard to find anything to eat, and I'm sick and tired with pretty much everything I still can eat. Because of this I sometimes go several days in a row without a decent meal (just drinking and eating a bit of yoghurt or a few slices of turkey, the kind you put on a slice of bread if you're lucky enough to be one of those people who can actually eat bread), which I don't think is very healthy either. And I'm still not losing any weight, on the contrary! I guess it's because I eat so irregularly, so my body clings to whatever it gets and so I get fatter and fatter while I'm still hungry all the time.
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Blog Entries
    Poor Annie Have you ever tried gluten-free bread, like the type consumed by people who suffer the celiac disease? I have a recipe based on rice and corn flour, but I can't comment on the final result because I've never tasted it. Do you also have problems with corn? Celiac diets are very expensive in my country; not sure in yours, though I ignore if it might apply to your problem. Also, if you knead the bread by yourself I've been told it demands more work and care than regular bread... like you have to follow the recipe to the smallest detail or the final result won't turn out okay. Of course opinions differ regarding difficulty levels.

This is the simplest recipe I found for gluten-free bread:
    800 grams of corn flour (also called cornmeal is some places), 1.150 kilos of rice flour, 600 grams of tapioca, gluten-free yeast, water and salt.

Mix the flours to prepare the dough, making bread the same as normal bread. After giving it the right shape, bake in preheated oven at 220° C until you see that the bread has browned.

I hope it may be good for something.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234