Thread: an explanation of Estella

bibliophile

Outrageous!

What makes you think you are good enough to rewrite and explain a chapter of one of Dickens's greatest works? The fact that you are working towards an AS? The book clearly states that her husband was "brutal" and taking this clue one would assume that she was BROKEN. Just as her mother was BROKEN. Not chiseled away, or pecked at. When one is being beaten, a sense of mortality is surely awakened, among other things. My opinion is that she was physically and forcibly shown the equivalent of what she was doing to everyone else emotionally. How long did the marriage last to her neanderthal husband? How many times was she beaten? How much time did she have between episodes to think about what might or could have been had she only made the right choice? On top of this, the last chapter was written at the prompting of a friend who didn't like the unhappy ending. It is fairly quick and to the point, leaving quite a few loose ends. It gives the impression that he did not care to write it at all. So taking it seriously or including it in any sort of discussion or critique is moot.

esquared

opinionated

I agree realistically with the complainer, and the fact that your story seems quite improbable. Its understood in the story, which was a terrible mistake by Dickens part, that Estells hatsyingly changed to promote happy endings. The ending was very perpendicular to the story and if it must not be depressing, then it probably should have at least been overwhelmingly happy (i.e. they get married and run into the sunset, this of course being an over-exaggeration). I do ask in hope you reply Laura, what imagery in you mind contemplated blue eyes and flaxen hair for Pip? From basis on his black-eyed, dark-haired sister i pictured relatively the same characteristics. You seemed to describe Joe, and anyone who has read the book would know of his blue eyes and blonde hair and chivalrous knight-like appearence, and I believe you to have misconstrued this towards Pip. Although this seems like an assinine detail it and i dont know why it catches my I so, I always pictured Pip with brown hair, grown out like its always been portraited, brown eyes and a face only one who reads the book could imagine. But i am a simple 9th grader halfly matured so my perception can be blury, but with out a variant of opinions how can discrepency be fun, am i correct? <br><br>signed............... a young fellow of Great Expectations.

Laura

disheartened yet grateful

Having just read through your honest, yet in the first instance rather harsh comments, I feel rather disheartened yet compelled to explain to you the motivation behind my story, into which I put my heart and soul. Had you been with me before and at the time of the creation of this short story, you would understand that I had been through a lot and was very depressed, and writing this story was an outlet for how I felt. When I read Great Expectations, I felt a connection with Estella, and at the time the plot of the story seemed true to what I would do in her position, and it's relevance to what Dickens may have written or intended was of little importance. Bibliophile - like you, I had my own strong opinions on the book based on the feelings it aroused in me and the connection I felt with certain character aspects. I in no way felt myself able to 'rewrite' Dicken's tale - I simply shared with you my opinion the way in which you shared yours with mine. However, whereas your reply was based solely on a response to my story on a superficial, see-what-is-there basis (no disrespect intended), my story was simply an outlet for all emotion which I felt unable to express in any other way. I these grounds, I cannot allow myself to apologise to you as such, as the story is so personal to me and portrays a part of me that I could express in no other way - I cannot apologise for who I am. Esquared - I understand that my description of Pip may have been a little inaccurate in the eyes of some, but I did not intend to comply wholly with the novel, but simply use the novel as my inspiration, amongst other afore-mentioned things. For the sake of the story's symbolic elements, it was deemed 'right' by myself that Pip should be fair and bright, as a contrast to the darkness portrayed by Estella. His image was also symbolic of the happiness he brings to her, and though this may not be true to Dicken's work, it worked for me.<br><br>Therefore, though I take all of your much appreciated comments into consideration and am grateful for your input, I feel I must defend my story as a part of myself, and though it may not stay true to the novel, and may not even entertain anyone but myself, it was my way of expressing myself, and I simply wanted to share it with people like yourselves. Many thanks for your comments, I shall keep them with me in future story writing.<br><br>Laura

Unregistered

No Subject

I don't know why in the world you actually took the time to write that thing.....no one reads that....it's too long....why did you put it on this comment sheet? You seem to have too much time on your hands....my gosh.<br>

Aasiya

gosh :(

Why are some people so into spreading hate? We have to appreciate the time and effort Laura took in writing that wonderful piece of fiction. Anonymous - I'm sure all she did was copy and paste it from her coursework, therefore, she does not 'seem to have too much time on her hands.' <br><br>Well done Laura, your reply to the people who jumped down your thraots was excellent. Keep up the good work

Unregistered

Great Expectations

Not one of the best of Dickens' works, but not too bad! I found it hard to really get wrapped up in it, though. It has a good storyline, but I just did not like how long it took to come together. I do agree with everyone who says that the change in Estella was too unrealistic. I found myself wondering about that for quite a while.<br><br>from a ninth grader at VCS

Unregistered

No Subject

gosh laura think you could write anymore you r like rewriting the boring book

ronmore skerry

No Subject

Truth to tell, what you told was less of a story and more of a reiteration of what happened and was said in the book, only organized under the subject heading of "Estella". The story might have made sense to you, and explained some things, but it "touched nothing [in my heart]": that is to say, it failed to adaquately explain the 180 degree turn in Estella's attitude, and why the brutality of her marriage did not shove her further down the path to alienation and psychological self-destruction. In fact, the entire last scene of that novel is implausible, although I have read both endings and find the original one somewhat more convincing. <br>At any rate, the story leaves something to be desired in its consistency with its premise.

Laura Hampton

an explanation of Estella

I have posted a reply on this website to outline my disappointment at the change in Estella without cause or explanation from the beginning of the book where she is very ahrsh to the ending where she a Pip are friends. This is my AS Level coursework and my attempt at explaining her change of character. <br><br><br><br>A Time For Change<br>Time- what a peculiar concept. It is not only the passing of minutes, seconds, the ticking of a clock. It is also change. Change of people, change of places. Change is what makes everything here around me barely recognisable, despite the fact I used to call it home. I fear change. I hate change.<br>“Estella? Is that you?”<br>I turned my head, brushed the dark hair from my eyes. The sun was shining brightly, so much so that I could not see his face, but I heard his voice. It rang with familiarity, brought back so many memories, and not all of them were good.<br>It was a cold morning one spring probably ten years ago now that I first met him. Looking out from one of the many windows of my large home which looked out onto the courtyard, a place I often went to be alone, I could see his golden locks flowing in the breeze. But he was not attractive. He was not even a person to me. Simply a play thing, there for my amusement and my amusement alone, thanks to my adoptive mother who had seen my loneliness and called upon the boy as a playmate.<br>For many years he was there as a companion for me to play with, tease, hurt - generally whatever activity was agreeable to myself would be partaken by him. But he did not utter one complaint. He was so innocent, so naive. His manner was pleasant from the start, but I could tell he was in awe of me, for I was a pretty girl. But he was unaware that the prettiness portrayed on my exterior was a sheer contrast to the state of my interior being. I would catch his stare focused upon myself, look toward him, and see his gaze averted to the floor. His gaze would always return to me though, and this made me uncomfortable.<br>I knew the worthlessness of men from a very early age, thanks to my guardian who had herself been jolted by a male, of whom she did not often wish to speak, and when she did her voice was full of regret and remorse, and in her eyes would flicker a distant spark first ignited by love but soon extinguished by ‘that man’. I could not let this happen to me, which is why I chose to hide my feelings under my harsh exterior which acted as a barrier against the rest of the cold, cruel world. Other people had accepted it, but he had the will and courage to explore my personality and attempt to get to know me, something no one had ever done before. This scared me, made me want to run and hide once again. But he would not allow me to do so.<br>It is for his reason that I tormented him in such a way for so many years. Even through marriage - not to said boy but to another, whom I only considered less worthless due to his immense wealth - my manner remained the same. I would speak as I wished, using words which were agreeable to myself alone, showing no consideration or care toward others. But my moral was simple. As long as I remained content and unharmed, it did not matter who was hurt through my actions or words.<br>Yet, even now, his will remained strong. I had heard of his changed lifestyle, as it had become common knowledge in the area. The sibling of a blacksmith’s wife, taken from his modest upbringing by some mystery investor, to be made into a gentleman.<br>I emerged from my deep thought to see a figure emerge from behind one of the broken down walls of what used to be a house, his golden locks flowing behind him, just as they had done all that time ago.<br>“My, how you have changed........”<br>“Pip?”<br>“Yes, Pip. How you have changed Pip” It felt so odd to use his name, for, in days gone by, he had been nothing but ‘Boy’ to me. Yet it seemed quite unbelievable that the man before me was the same boy I had tormented. The way he spoke had changed dramatically. I always said he had rough hands, and that they would remain rough for the duration of his life, but perhaps I was wrong. His suit was properly tailored, his hair brushed to the sides with the straightest parting I have ever laid eyes on. I looked to the floor and was taken aback by the intense shine of his well polished shoes in the glow of the strong morning sun.<br>“Can you believe how much the place has changed? I remember the day myself and Herbert had quite a scuffle in the corner over there, and the way in which you used to open the gate to me over there......Estella?”<br>He spoke so adequately, I could finally understand fully every word he said to me, and I was lost in his words. But how could I change what had happened in the past? I could not simply alter who I was, not for anyone, or for any reason, for I had always been this way. A harsh, sharp tongued girl, fit only for a life alone.<br>Or was I? My marriage had not always been perfect, even with my supposed strength of mind. My husband had been a doting one from our wedding day, but toward the end things had changed. My spirit had been slowly chiselled at, eroded by his strength as a river can erode the strongest rock. But maybe now, now that he was gone.....<br>“I have thought of you an awful lot Estella.“<br>“And I of you, Sir.”<br>“Nobody has ever surpassed you in beauty or strength of mind. Though you are often harsh, I respect your strength, your will to achieve. I respect you greatly Estella, and I am eternally grateful for this chance to see you once again.”<br>I stared into his deep blue eyes. They sparkled so brightly like the dew covered vines which crept up the walls like serpents. They sparkled in a way they never had before, and I began to think. I began to think that perhaps it was time for a change. He had changed, perhaps I could also. Perhaps even I was not a lost cause, and I could pull myself from the ways to which I had become accustomed, and start a new life. Perhaps the offer made to me now would be one to change my life for the better.<br>And as I slowly boarded the carriage back to London in a state of deep though, I remembered once again the young boy who had come to change my life, how I had hurt him. Perhaps now things would be different, a new me, a new life. Perhaps.<br><br><br>By Laura Hampton