Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: I need glasses:

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

11 26.83%
  • Sometimes (myopic)

5 12.20%
  • Sometimes (hyperopic)

1 2.44%
  • Sometimes (other)

7 17.07%
  • Always

17 41.46%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glasses

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Now I've got a pair 1.25 cheaters on every single flat surface in my house.
    What are cheaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Serena03 View Post
    Where's the 'I should be wearing them' option?
    The poll is not asking whether you wear them but whether you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    My glasses seem to communicate the following: "See? I've read enough books to screw up my vision, so I'm not a complete idiot."
    Oh, boy... How much more do I need to read to reach to that nirvana???
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I always wore glasses since I was three or so. I considered lenses a couple of years ago but it wouldn’t do. I got completely nauseated at the first try-on so I dismissed the notion.

A colleague of mine who used to wear bottle-bottom-style glasses, had is eyes operated and can do completely without glasses or lenses, with much sharper vision now. But no ordinary mortal can afford the surgery.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulim View Post
    A colleague of mine who used to wear bottle-bottom-style glasses, had is eyes operated and can do completely without glasses or lenses, with much sharper vision now. But no ordinary mortal can afford the surgery.
    I understand that the new, best procedure costs around £3,000 an eye. That said, I'm still tempted - that's probably less than I would spend on glasses in a lifetime, and without the added hassle of actually wearing the things...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    What are cheaters?
    Cheap reading glasses.

Not sure why we call 'em cheaters, maybe cheating fate, maybe cheating the eye doc out of a fee. Donno.

Anyway, I can get package of 5 for about 20 bucks at the Walmart (ASDA to you, I think)

1.25s are pretty weak. I'm thinking of moving up to some 1.5s. Woo-Hoo!
    Uhhhh...

Oh, no lenses or eye surgery for me, thank you.

Plucking stuff out of my eye every night would be too scary and i can't see with my glasses off, so I can't see how I could see a lense...

And then the smell of burning eye (who was the celebrity who said that on auntie Beeb) or getting your eye sucked out of its socket so you keep it open while they're doing it... I am terrified at the thought of it.

Nope, just normal glasses, that's good enough for me. I'll consider it as a nice ashion accessory .
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    I hate the idea of contacts too. I don't like touching my eyes.

My mother had a lens replacement surgery for cataracts and now she no longer needs glasses, and she wore glasses her entire life.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    It's time to ask the third of the three great questions (as I'm told) posed by the intelligentsia everywhere:
    1)What to do?
    2)Who is to blame?
    3)Where are my glasses?

Glasses are great though - they certainly make it easier to fool people into thinking that you're smart.
    Last edited by Taliesin; 11-12-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Haha, one time I forgot that I was already wearing contact lenses so I put another pair on over the ones that were already in. I got all excited when things got clear as soon as I popped the extra lenses out, I was thinking "oh my god - I'm cured! It's a miracle!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I understand that the new, best procedure costs around £3,000 an eye. That said, I'm still tempted - that's probably less than I would spend on glasses in a lifetime, and without the added hassle of actually wearing the things...
    It costs much less in Canada. My dad was looking into getting me eye surgery one Christmas, and it was $4500 to zap both. I decided I'd rather have the money for school though, I couldn't imagine being a non-glasses wearer.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 11-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I'll give you the name of the best guy in the country, if you like, working at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.

I started wearing glasses in 2nd grade...well, that's when I was told I needed to wear them and bought my first pair but I didn't really start wearing them until about 4th grade. I have really bad astigmatism and can't see a bloomin' thing without some kind of corrective lens. I typically wear contacts but always have a pair of glasses with a current prescription around in case I'm too lazy to put them in. Because of the severity of my astigmatism, I have to wear hard contacts and if I'm really tired or sick, they just don't feel very good.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Haha, one time I forgot that I was already wearing contact lenses so I put another pair on over the ones that were already in. I got all excited when things got clear as soon as I popped the extra lenses out, I was thinking "oh my god - I'm cured! It's a miracle!"
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    I'll give you the name of the best guy in the country, if you like, working at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
    I'd appreciate that! Thanks Mark!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPassions View Post
    I am lucky that I do not need glasses... but I do fear that my vision has deteriorated somewhat, mainly from staring at a computer all day.
    ditto.
    though I wouldn't like to trade my present condition with glasses I think they look kind of cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin
    Glasses are great though - they certainly make it easier to fool people into thinking that you're smart.
    It would have been better if they could fool people into believing you are foolish. The best pleasure of the world is to trick people into taking you to be a fool.
    Last edited by Pensive; 11-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Thanks to being a programmer I am short-sighted. I wear glasses when I work on the computer and when driving at night or to somewhere new where I have to be able to read the road signs, without being on top of them. And sometimes I have to wear them when I'm ordering takeaways and the menu is suspended over the counter or on the back wall. I usually don't have them with me in those cases though :/

I have contact lenses, but I hardly ever wear them. My eyes are so dry most of the time that I find contact lenses to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I will put them in when I go to the cinema or on a hike, or something like that.

Hehehe.

One day, a couple of weeks after I first got my contact lenses, I got to work and I was so upset because everything was blurry again! And I had just gotten contacts! I was starting to panic slightly, actually, because what if something else was wrong with my eyes? Anyway, after two hours I realised that I forgot to actually put them in in the first place. Grr.

I like my glasses.

What I wonder about the surgery is, do they implant something synthetic in the eye?

It's a fairly new procedure, and how do we know how well it will hold up over many years? If you have it done when you are 20 years old, how will it age, and what will happen after 60 or 70 years?

It seems to me people can always find something to be dissatisfied about, no matter how good their life is. After the eye surgery they will simply move on to the next thing. They will relentless focus on whatever little thing isn't perfect.

To me, my very healthy, very nearsighted eyes, are my most valued possession, and I wouldn't change them or jeopardize them even if someone paid me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast