Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: I need glasses:

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

11 26.83%
  • Sometimes (myopic)

5 12.20%
  • Sometimes (hyperopic)

1 2.44%
  • Sometimes (other)

7 17.07%
  • Always

17 41.46%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glasses

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Glasses

Wondering how many of us wear glasses and what type...
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Always, alas.

I'm very short-sighted, and I've worn glasses since I was about eight years old. They're an absolute pain...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I have never needed glasses but I have always wanted them, I have always looked a lot younger than my friends and glasses made me look older so I always wanted them. I have been told I could buy glasses with plain glass in them but I think that is kinda silly.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I've worn glasses since around 21, I have myopia but not very severe, I'm allowed to drive without my glasses.

I like them as a fashion accessory though.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

I have worn specs since I was about 10. I am short-sighted, can't see much further than my nose without them - I always had a huge fellow feeling with Harry Palmer (Michael Caine's character in The Ipcress File) who couldn't answer the phone and concentrate on the message before he had put his glasses on. I wore contacts for years but eventually had to revert to specs. Now I have 1 - a couple of pairs of distance specs (because losing or breaking a pair would render me housebound), 2 - a pair for middle distance, computer screen, etc, 3 - a pair for reading: I can read without them but am no doubt not doing my eyes much good by so doing and 4 - my favourites - a distance pair with polarised lenses in them, wonderful for driving, they eliminate shadows and dark spots. Yes, I went to Specsavers......

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wear glasses. I've had to wear them since about 9th grade and I am very near-sighted. I would love to not wear them, but I just can't quite feel comfortable with lasik surgery, and no, I don't wear contacts. I don't know why.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    I usually always need glasses, I just don't wear them...

I'm bad.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

www.markbastable.co.uk
    I have reading glasses which I wear on a cord round my neck, like an even older person than I actually am.

Until recently my main pair were small and oval and very unfashionable.

Almost every pair of glasses in the shop were rectangular. I said to the twelve-year-old who was trying to sell me them, "I don't like the rectangular ones. I want those small oval nineteen-thirties ones that'll make me look like I'm either inventing the atom bomb or dissolving my wife in a vat of acid in the basement."

She called Security. No sense of humour.

I finally found what I wanted on-line.

Recently I've got a new pair that have taken over the number-one-on-the-nose slot. These are larger, round and tortoiseshell, and they make me look like Bertie Wooster's loopy cousin or the forgetful physicist whom the blousy showgirl loves despite the affluent attention of the brilliantined radiogram dealer.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 11-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    While I dislike glasses, and am continually pondering about surgery, I'll admit I would miss them - I do like to gesticulate with them, and sometimes not being able to see people can be a blessing!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I don't know why but my vision screwed up while I was pregnant and I've worn glasses ever since. I have multifocals as it is getting harder to read as I get older....sigh. My brother wears them as a fashion accessory and calls them 'artificial intelligence'
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    I had an eye test in 2000, but I felt they were trying to justify me having glasses when I didn't need them. I can't see too far into the distance for detail, but I'm fine with near stuff. (Not too near) I think it was an astigmatism - which I've just looked up. It seems I am nearsighted. It's not bad though - not bad enough tp shell out for glasses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    I had an eye test in 2000, but I felt they were trying to justify me having glasses when I didn't need them. I can't see too far into the distance for detail, but I'm fine with near stuff. (Not too near) I think it was an astigmatism - which I've just looked up. It seems I am nearsighted. It's not bad though - not bad enough tp shell out for glasses.
    Your avatar would never suit them!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    I would really love to Frankenstein with tortoiseshell glasses.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Wow, a wopping 42% always wears glasses here!

You can see what I wear on my picture: brown rectangular. My hubby finds them sexy and I feel I look more distinguished .

Anyway, I have worn them for about a year and a half now, that is after struggling since 21 (that was 7 years before that) with deteriorating eyesight (thank you, computer, I am so grateful). After having a job as a database assistant, I started to see that my eyesiht was 'a little blurry', but didn't do anything about it and then my hubby got fed up and went into an optician with me, here in Germany.

The man said, very friendly indeed, 'Sit down, madam, and now read what's on that slide.' I said, 'Oh, is there something on that wall?' both mouths fall open at this moment Turns out I had -4.50 and -3.50, I couldn't read street signs, parasol signs, bus signs (that's a pain).

Man, was the world clear when I had my glasses ! (although it swam a bit on the side, as they say in Dutch)
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    Wow! "Jaw drops" Were you driving a car during this period?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast