Thread: Brotherhoooood!

Brotherhoooood!

Winston keeps mentioning, the brotherhood and if it's real or not. I don't know what the brotherhood is suppose to be, help?

Quote Originally Posted by peguin229 View Post
    Winston keeps mentioning, the brotherhood and if it's real or not. I don't know what the brotherhood is suppose to be, help?

The Brotherhood is an Underground rebel organization. There is no definitive proof in the book as to whether or not it actually exists. O'Brian never answers this question.
    Gender Free...

Whether or not the Brotherhood is real, in my opinion, is Orwell giving the reader a choice. The reader can have a view like Julia's; where there is no hope in beating B.B. and the Party, so all thoughts of an underground organization against either is absurd. Or, the reader can have a view more like Winston's; Questionative, and hoping for there to be a group or hope for the end of the Party. I think that The Bortherhood is supposed to represent a glimmer of hope to the characters who know what terrible things B.B. is doing, and a chance to meet and discuss what can or can't be done to change the life of Oceania citizens.

I believe the brotherhood could not possibly be real. It is supposed to be a group of people trying to bring down the government through rebellious acts. If big brother is always watching how could they possibly get away with this? Also how does is work? O'Brien says they don't meet and one member will never know of more than 5 other members. How can they possibly make a change with no knowledge of who is on their side and who isn't?