Thread: Winston and Julia

Winston and Julia

I do not feel that winston and julia have any real feelings for each other. All of their "meetings" seem to simply be an act of rebellion. Just the thought of doing something that "Big Brother" dissaproves of seems to encourage them to continue it.

Yes, I do agree that their "meetings" are more of a political and rebellious act rather than love. However, perhaps they do feel strong emotion for each other? Throughout their lives, Winston and Julia have been deprived of any emotions by Big Brother. Their social surroundings simply don't allow for the building of emotions. Winston notices this, and craves corruption. Perhaps during his self-rebellion, he found emotion inside of him and is expressing it all through Julia.
    Look through my eyes and decide if I'm a human being.

I believe that Winston and Julia think that they like each other, because they are the only ones that see what is really happening. Their strong feelings against Big Brother makes them think that they belong together.

Although all of their meetings seem to be derived from rebellion I believe they really do have feelings for eachother. Julia expressed that she has done this scores of times before and knows what she is doing, but Winston is less experienced. I believe that although they initially may have started this because it was rebellious they have gained feeling for eachother. Winston appears to lack self confidence. He points out all his flaws in a way hoping that Julia would admit that she doesn't like him, but she still says she likes him. If she really didn't like him, and this was just an act of rebellion wouldn't she have told him by now?

I think that Winston and Julia have real feelings for each other, but their acts of rebellion bring them even closer. They both agree that their government isn't fantastic, and they want Big Brother to go down. In a way, this could make them like each other even more.

I feel as if Julia and Winston both have feelings for each other because they both believe the exact same things! in a small way the rebellions and their beliefs can pull them closer and closer together to love.