Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick your e-reader

To be, or not to be. misterreplicant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, never went through that experience, yet.
    Books completed in 2011:
    • Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card
    • The Inferno - Dante Alighieri
    • The Iliad - Homer

"Homer was on the rowing team at his high school." ~My grandfather

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I think Sony e-reader is much better than Kindle.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I think Sony e-reader is much better than Kindle.
    Why? Just curious, because I've had both, and Kindle seems superior in pretty much every way, especially selection.

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Because that's the one she has

Apple iPad beats the lot of 'em because you can do more with it - other cheaper versions are arriving daily, and the latest Sony looks to be in direct competition (though it'll take a while for the apps to catch up - but theres still millions of them either way)

I have a Nook, and I like it. I still read physical books too, but the Nook is nice because I can get public domain books for free, and I can fit tons of books on just one little device. I can buy books which I would normally not find in the bookstore, and it's so convenient. My suggestion is, look for a device which fits the way you read, if you even want a device anyway.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    I have a NOOK as well and as much as I hate to admit it, I do enjoy it. For example, it comes in handy on windy days when reading outside. However, the NOOK does not produce the texture and aroma of paper that I desire, especially like that produced from old books.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Why? Just curious, because I've had both, and Kindle seems superior in pretty much every way, especially selection.
    I down a lot of books from the libraries and I found out that Kindle does not agree with some of the systems available, forcing readers to buy books mostly.

Also, I find the keyboard on Kindle rather annoying. Sony is touch-screen.
    ~
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MystyrMystyry View Post
    Because that's the one she has

Apple iPad beats the lot of 'em because you can do more with it - other cheaper versions are arriving daily, and the latest Sony looks to be in direct competition (though it'll take a while for the apps to catch up - but theres still millions of them either way)
    True, if you want to pay roughly four times the amount of money for something significantly heavier and with much poorer battery life. Plus, I don't like reading on an LCD or backlit screen, which is why I'm not interested in the new Nook.
    I down a lot of books from the libraries and I found out that Kindle does not agree with some of the systems available, forcing readers to buy books mostly.

Also, I find the keyboard on Kindle rather annoying. Sony is touch-screen.
    Yeah, but the touch-screen as a much poorer resolution. The Kindle is crisp and the contrast so high, it just blows Sony's touch-screens out of the water. Plus, you end up paying significantly more for a touchscreen model. Though, I can see how using the library would be beneficial, but I don't think most use it for that. Each one is better for different things; I don't want Brock getting something that wouldn't work for him.

The Kindle is crisp and the contrast so high, it just blows Sony's touch-screens out of the water. Plus, you end up paying significantly more for a touchscreen model.
    Well that settles it for me. I'm much more convinced by the ink technology. Staring at LED all the time doesn't sound attractive. Also, spending less is a bonus.

Thanks for all the suggestions/information.
    Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Jeff Spicoli

Using the library is my pain priority as I try to avoid buying books - digital or hardcopy.
    Yeah, but the touch-screen as a much poorer resolution. The Kindle is crisp and the contrast so high, it just blows Sony's touch-screens out of the water.
    I really have to ask: have you ever hold both models and compared them actually?

There is no LED light on Sony and the resolution quality is superior to that of Kindle's. Sony's recent 650 looks and feels very much like a book, both screen and printwise.

However, price is an issue as Sony costs almost twice as much as a Kindle.
    ~
    ~

I've had an iPad for about 6 months now and love it. The first book I read on it was War and Peace and there was no eye strain, and I'm 59 years old. I always check my library for books first because free is better, then I see if Amazon has it for free. If neither of those options are available I check with my friends. (That's how I got "Born to Run" recently). I'm actually starting to prefer ebooks because, among other things you can poke a word and see it's definition. Plus if you need a few minutes break from reading you can hop over and play a game and then get right back into your book. It's just a great gadget all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Page Turner View Post
    you can poke a word and see it's definition
    This is the coolest thing I've heard yet!
    Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Jeff Spicoli

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Using the library is my pain priority as I try to avoid buying books - digital or hardcopy.I really have to ask: have you ever hold both models and compared them actually?

There is no LED light on Sony and the resolution quality is superior to that of Kindle's. Sony's recent 650 looks and feels very much like a book, both screen and printwise.

However, price is an issue as Sony costs almost twice as much as a Kindle.
    No, I haven't seen Sony's latest version, so maybe the resolution is better, but Kindle's is still pretty good. Still, online store wise, Kindle is the best (even superior than Nook, if I'm not mistaken).

And most models now can let you look up definitions on the device. It's just that touch-screens let you tap the word on the screen (which is cool) and on the Kindle you use directional arrow buttons to select the word.

Alrighty! I've decided on the Kindle anyway. I can't wait for it. oooooooOOO!!!!

Jeff Spicoli

Cool, the Kindle is great! I got mine about a month ago and it's getting used almost as much as the computer... It might actually surpass my computer usage soon.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast