Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pick your e-reader

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I'm three days in to my ownership of a kindle. First impressions are mixed. It does everything it should and is easy to understand, it works smoothly, it is easy to read, everything the makers claim for it is true.

But the experience isn't at all book like. It has me thinking about what a book is. It is an experience - or two experiences. The first is a vicarious one from the story as you follow the plot and invest time and emotion in it. Then you have the endorphin fuelled pleasure of settling down to read, of handleing and smelling The Book. At the moment the Kindle isn't delivering this.
    This might be true... although this reader doesn't believe there's anything special about holding the mass-market two-cent paper of an actual book (sold for twenty dollars o'course). Unfortunately a flimsy piece of hardware doesn't seem like a step in a good direction.

Whatever. Just pipe the content into the ol'brain.

J

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm still reading my paper books.

It just feels so awkward holding on to that little thing and not being able to flip through the pages at your leisure. Maybe I'll get used to it in time...
    Last edited by cyberbob; 01-01-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob View Post
    I got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm still reading my paper books.

It just feels so awkward holding on to that little thing and not being able to flip through the pages at your leisure. Maybe I'll get used to it in time...
    With a name like yours you should...Bob.

Kindle

Hello!

Do you perhaps know is it possible to buy Kindle in some store in city of New York, without buying it or ordering it online before?

I am looking for Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - Graphite.

Thank you.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    You will get used to it. But after over a year now, I have to admit I still like hard copies, and have fallen a little out of love with the Kindle(tired of the same old...reading). I have a massive E book library of several thousand, but it felt anti climatic.

I recently bought all of Salinger's books in physical form - felt good!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I did the same thing when I first got an eReader, Tony. I burnt myself on it, basically. Now I read pretty evenly between hard copy books and ebooks.

Finally got one and I'm very satisfied with it. Ordered on monday last week, got it two days later!
    It's especially very good for work as it's so small and no one seems to pay attention to it...compared to a book, boss doesn't like it if you read a book. And also easy whenever traveling, whether it's the bus to work or train to another city

I like the dictionary, all you have to do is go to the word and it'll automatically explain what the word means. English isn't my first language, so that's why it's useful!
    I also like to do notes and quotes, and it's so easy to do it with kindle.

Blog Entries
    Yes I can see it getting a little tedious after a while. I've not been using it very much since I got it though. I read proper books and then occasionally read one on the Kindle, so I still love the Kindle.
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

I love mine, I haven't struggled with the font at all. I've spent pennies on dozens of books and nothing on some, but maybe the coolest feature for me was downloading 1Q84 one and two on midnight of the day of release and being able to read it during a long plane and rail journey the following day.

I tend to read two books at a time, and I always have something on the go on the Kindle.

I hadn't used mine for several months and had forgotten what I'd downloaded to it. A couple of weeks ago I finally charged it back up and figured I'd at least refresh my memory as to what I had for literature on it. Any way, to my pleasant surprise there was a bunch of stuff I'd totally forgotten about. I'm just finishing up The Marble Faun and my copy of that is a physical paperback but in between I've been reading some of the philosophy and non-fiction I downloaded to my Kindle and have been having a blast. Once I finish the Hawthorne book I'm reading (I have about twenty pages left that I'll probably finish off this morning) I intend to read some of the rather large amount of short fiction and novellas I have on my Kindle. I also have quite a few compilations of various authors that are supposedly their entire collections. If I remember correctly I was able to pick up (among various other collections) the complete works by Charles Dickens, Nicolai Gogol, Anton Checkov, Walt Whitman, Edmund Burke, Leo Tolstoy etc. for a few dollars a piece. This saved me a great deal of money and even more so it saves me from having to carry around a lot of heavy books. These aspects seem almost as if they were descended from Providence.

Blog Entries

e-reader suggestions

Hi guys,

I am looking in to getting a Kindle from Amazon but i'm not quite sure what one to get.
    I don't really care to use it for anything other than reading and purchasing books off of it.

If you have a Kindle, what kind is it, what are it's features, an dare you happy with it?

Thanks!

I don't have a Kindle, but I have a Sony ereader PRS-T1 and I like it a lot. An ereader is definitely worth buying. Although it's an investment upfront, after that you don't have to buy books anymore, which makes reading a book per week a lot easier economically speaking. Besides that it's easier to read large books on an ereader than to read the actual book. At first I was sceptical about ereaders but since owning one I have completely turned around!

As to features; I can buy books off of it, I can browse the web (though not the best experience, but it's not what ereaders are for), I can of course read books and I can make notes and drawings and stuff like that.
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past - The Great Gatsby

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice - Polonius (Hamlet)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've had Sony readers and several Kindles, and I prefer Kindle by far. They're cheaper and have a much better selection.

I have the Kindle Touch and like it very much, only 99 bucks.

Seasider
    I have had a standard Kindle for 2 years and I love it. If I were buying now I would order the de luxe Kindle Touch which can be pre-ordered now and will be available from April 27th. Good luck with whatever you get.

I love my Kindle Fire, but it's my first and only e-book reader, so I can't compare it to anything.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.