Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick your e-reader

Haven't touched a Kindle yet, so I'm a-stuck with my Android phone (an HTC EVO 4G, though the battery life kinda sucks).
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know of a good unbiased comparison site for ireaders. I am in such confusion I cannot make a choice. (I am getting one for christmas too.)
    ay up

Account closed.
    I was reading T3 magazine (November edition) and the Kindle came out on top against Sony, Elonex and Archos products. Don't think any Nook products are coming to the UK, hence them not comparing to them.
    This is not a comparison review, but .... http://www.t3.com/reviews/amazon-kindle-4-review

But lets face it, we all want an Ipad, don't we?? (yes, even despite the screen glare!). Although paying more than 4 times the price of a Kindle might stick in the throat a bit.....

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about getting the Kindle Fire. The main reason is that I heard Amazon keeps track of any purchases you made and so you do not have to backup downloaded files so you don't lose them. Of course, I might have misunderstood this. I don't have a Kindle at the moment.

However, that is one thing that has kept me from purchasing music from Apple. If I have to back it up, I might as well buy a physical CD which would serve as the backup.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck View Post
    Or, as another option do I just break down and buy an iPad...
    Do! It's the best break-down you'll ever have.

I could never see myself reading literature on a gadget with batteries, but I'm a convert. The Kindle and other such devices are nice, but as someone else said the iPad is so much more. Hard to describe, really, how essential it becomes once you've used it a few times. To illustrate how great it is (and perhaps how sad I am), sometimes I just zoom into the page to admire the crispness of the font.

Regards,
    DH
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHeart View Post
    Do! It's the best break-down you'll ever have.

I could never see myself reading literature on a gadget with batteries, but I'm a convert. The Kindle and other such devices are nice, but as someone else said the iPad is so much more. Hard to describe, really, how essential it becomes once you've used it a few times. To illustrate how great it is (and perhaps how sad I am), sometimes I just zoom into the page to admire the crispness of the font.

Regards,
    DH
    I keep saying the same thing I like the Kindle, but I want color. I'll use it for Magazines more since I hate having a ton of them laying around the house. Most are cooking related though, and can you imagine looking at those in black and white . How would I know if the food looks good?

The kids are young too, so I need color illustrations for them. The only stopping block is the the Fire doesn't have e-ink tech and it isn't scalable on the memory side. 8GB is what you get and that is that. The Nook can be scaled up to 32GB which when it will be shared by three people is a huge plus. Then I come back to the iPad, but the one I would get is in the $800 range, and that's a bit more than I'm able/willing to spend.

Decisions, decisions *sigh*.

Blog Entries
    If you are using it for books/magazines - 8gb is plenty. You could probably fit about 2,500 books on a Kindle Fire. And it has the ability to back up (on your computer, on cloud storage) so it's like having a house filled to the brim with books and needed to put some away in storage. You don't lose them, they're just in storage.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Well I love my new kindle which is the latest one sold by Amazon UK at £89 and I would certainly recommend that for general reading. The ereader Vs paper book thread has more thoughts on the subject.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just for your info, the Fire is not the only new Kindle coming out. There is the new basic Kindle and the Kindle Touch (which I have pre-ordered). The prices are insanely reasonable. I've owned Sony e-readers and Kindles, and Kindle is by far my choice. I've never had a Nook, but after having the Kindle, I have no plans of switching any time soon.

Also, I've used these forums before, which are very, very useful in helping decide what to get, and then everything you can do with your e-reader once you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Just for your info, the Fire is not the only new Kindle coming out. There is the new basic Kindle and the Kindle Touch (which I have pre-ordered). The prices are insanely reasonable. I've owned Sony e-readers and Kindles, and Kindle is by far my choice. I've never had a Nook, but after having the Kindle, I have no plans of switching any time soon.

Also, I've used these forums before, which are very, very useful in helping decide what to get, and then everything you can do with your e-reader once you have it.
    Yes I've got the basic kindle which is £89 in the UK without adverts (obviously) the US has two versions with and without adverts as shown. I am curious though why you have had so many of them. You have Sony e-readers and kindles (plurals) and you have ordered the touch version, why do you need so many? I can't imagine that I'll need to get another one unless this broke.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone read a full book on a non e-ink device? I mean reading for a couple of hours at a time. I have tried it on my laptop and it was v bad for the eyes. Wouldn't an ipad be the same ?

I would like a kindle but I would also like to read in bed without turning the light on and waking Mrs P.
    ay up

Account closed.
    I have tried it on my phone (htc desire). Apart from the small screen, it is not too bad. There are plenty of font size, screen brightness and text/background options to optimize your view. I read 'The Road' over a few days and didn't feel my eyes were strained.

I would give it a try before committing though, I guess it is not for everyone. And one of the light accessories for Kindle would probably give as much light out as the backlight on an iPad....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Has anyone read a full book on a non e-ink device? I mean reading for a couple of hours at a time. I have tried it on my laptop and it was v bad for the eyes. Wouldn't an ipad be the same ?

I would like a kindle but I would also like to read in bed without turning the light on and waking Mrs P.
    I use an iPad and it is nothing like reading off a laptop. While I still prefer the paper book, the iPad has that advantage of using it in any light
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I use an iPad and it is nothing like reading off a laptop. While I still prefer the paper book, the iPad has that advantage of using it in any light
    I'll keep that in mind. It's one of the reasons that the e-ink tech was so important to me. I spend all day starting at screen for work, and I certainly don't want to feel like that's what I'm doing when I am home and trying to unwind.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Yes I've got the basic kindle which is £89 in the UK without adverts (obviously) the US has two versions with and without adverts as shown. I am curious though why you have had so many of them. You have Sony e-readers and kindles (plurals) and you have ordered the touch version, why do you need so many? I can't imagine that I'll need to get another one unless this broke.
    I don't need them, I just want them. Just a matter of wanting "the new one" with its cooler features. The Kindle I have now doesn't have a touch screen, but the one I'm getting does. And, come on, it's a touch screen, so I must have it.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast