Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick your e-reader

Should I buy a Kindle?

I've debated this with myself for a while now. Should I get one? Or not? I'd find it really useful for pdf files (of which I have hundreds) and to be honest my materialistic urge is almost overwhelming anyway. Has anyone got one?

Don't buy a kindle!

My father is a logger and if paper and pulp wood prices fall he'll have nothing to live off!

Quote Originally Posted by togre View Post
    Don't buy a kindle!

My father is a logger and if paper and pulp wood prices fall he'll have nothing to live off!
    Ha ha, ok. That's a good reason. In fact, that does bring up an important point: using a kindle would save trees right? Sounds like a pro to me. I like trees.

Seasider
    First I'd like to say that it needn't be either/or. I have a Kindle and I love it...I also have a library of more than 3000 books.

I like having a Kindle for holidays, Hospital appointments,waiting for friends in restaurants, rail/ air/ bus/ coach journeys...reading in bed, especially big books!!
    I also like it for giving in to the temptation of buying a book any time day or night and having it delivered to my Kindle reader.

I like the possibility of a large font if I need it. I like the possibility of storing 1500 books on my reader so if I want to reread a book I have in print format away from my library, I can.
    I also like the possibility of getting a book in the public domain for free.
    I am and have always been a bibliophile but I still love my Kindle. Any young student of Literature...and not just Literature...can download essential texts for free. That would have helped me in the fifties!!!
    I'm sure there will be purists who will disagree but I cede my love of books to no one and I treasure my Kindle.
    Last edited by Seasider; 04-28-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Banned
    I agree, You should buy a kindle, marvelous device. At first you miss the physical aesthetic of a book, but after a while if you start reading a book you will realize that you miss the physical aesthetic of a kindle. So yes yes yes and again yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post

I like the possibility of a large font if I need it. I like the possibility of storing 1500 books on my reader so if I want to reread a book I have in print format away from my library, I can.
    I also like the possibility of getting a book in the public domain for free.
    This sells it for me. It just so happens that I get paid tomorrow . I think I may actually hit that 'add to basket' option and treat myself!
    Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Jeff Spicoli

Jeff, in a far away place jlb4tlb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    This sells it for me. It just so happens that I get paid tomorrow . I think I may actually hit that 'add to basket' option and treat myself!
    Do not over look the "Nook" from B&N. I have had mine now for over 2 years and love it.
    "Lennie said, "I thought you was mad at me, George."
    "No," said George. "No Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. Thats a thing I want ya to know."

Kindles are great! Sure they may put other avenues out of business but the truth is they are a Godsend for book readers. You can have thousands of thousands of books in a tiny little pad you carry around. Whenever I am stuck in a line or waiting for an appointment I pull out my Kindle to get a few pages or even chapters in while I wait. Great for true book readers!
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts

I'm really wanting to purchase one.
    Existence precedes essence.

Blog Entries
    Just buy the darn thing. If you can afford to buy books than you can afford the cost of the Kindle.

I lost mine the other day and was literally devastated until we reconnected. You won't understand this connection until you have been without it. It might be an electronic device, but I love it so. If you love to read, you will love your Kindle.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wait, wait, WAIT! Before you buy one, and if your main issue with having a Kindle is to use PDFs, maybe you should look into it a bit more, because it isn't great for PDF viewing.

The MobileRead Forums are a great website that can answer any question. Maybe a Nook, or some other device, would be a better choice.

And, Seasider is correct, a Kindle does not mean you just stop reading books. I still do. Actually, after a year-and-a-half of heavy e-reader use, I'm back to heavily preferring actual books. I still use my Kindle, though.

What I love most about my Kindle is that I'm able to check out so many classics for free or near free. When I find something I like I go back to Amazon and order the physical book. Probably not what Kindle had in mind, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Wait, wait, WAIT! Before you buy one, and if your main issue with having a Kindle is to use PDFs, maybe you should look into it a bit more, because it isn't great for PDF viewing.

The MobileRead Forums are a great website that can answer any question. Maybe a Nook, or some other device, would be a better choice.
    Hmm, Kindle or Nook... Kindle or Nook. I'm doing the research.

By hook or by crook, I might get a Nook...
    Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Jeff Spicoli

To be, or not to be. misterreplicant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't turn to the dark-side! Paper books are timeless!
    Books completed in 2011:
    • Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card
    • The Inferno - Dante Alighieri
    • The Iliad - Homer

"Homer was on the rowing team at his high school." ~My grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by misterreplicant View Post
    Don't turn to the dark-side! Paper books are timeless!
    I think the Kindle is a useful tool for when you are on the move and can't take all your books with you.

For example when I'm at University.
    Latest Blog: An Impassioned and Immediate Response to Dan Hodges, Political Writer, Daily Telegraph.
    http://britishpharaoh.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast