Thread: Is life now the sane as it was in "1984"?

Is life now the sane as it was in "1984"?

I just saw a commercial for Dragon. It is a headphone/microphone set that you talk into and then it types for you. This is exactly what Julia and Winston use to do their jobs. I'm not sure, but our world might be slowly fading into what this book is about. Orwell was completely correct about Russia in Animal Farm. He could be right about this too.

I would say that humanity has a little bit further to travel to be completely like 1984.

I would also say I want that headphone/microphone.

I agree with the above user, because obviously Orwell wasn't spot on with all of his "predictions". Although he wasn't, he did get many things right, and soon enough more of the things he mentions may be true. For example, Winston's neighbors children, the die hard Junior Spies, are excited about and very much want to attend the public hangings in the community park. Although in most of the countries around the world we do not have public hangings, children everyday experience copious amounts of violence, ranging from video games to T.V. shows to movies. All that aside (and to think very deeply), all this violence children experience may be to potentially desensitize them, for possible future chaos. Could the public hangings the children wanted to watch be Orwell "predicting" this very same thing?

I feel as if Orwell has a few predictions that are completely spot on and some that aren't spot on with our society today. Just like the above users have said I agree with all the things that Orwell Predicted for 1984 and as some history teachers say "History Repeats Itself" things like this could be something history may be repeating!

Oswell's novel points out many issues that are relevant to today's society. I don't think we are at a point where society has changed as drastically as in the novel. Some things that Orwell pointed out as problems in the novel that we see today are, the interest in violence that children and teenagers,and how little we pay attention the the important aspects of government. Orwell points out how the children are interested in violence during the public hangings when all the children are excited to go and watch. Orwell predicted that the youth would be entertained with violence and he was right. Today T.V shows, movies, and video games depict a lot of violence. Orwell shows us how little the people are paying attention to the important issues with the pots and pans section. He gets this right to. A lot of people today care more about the next product or who wins American Idol than who wins the presidential election.

Technologically speaking Orwell's vision has become a reality. My 15 year old could set up tele screens and web cams in every room in my home. You can't walk from one end of Broadway to the other without being recorded every step of the way. Our cell phones can be tracked by gps. Our cars have black boxes that monitor engine speed and brake timing. Voice type is a reality etc.

However, we have something much more important. We have the ability almost limitless to communicate with each other. Facebook and social networking and access to information. It is that very technology that gives us an edge in avoiding the very horrifying world of 1984
    Gender Free...

Quote Originally Posted by DaphneFree View Post
    Technologically speaking Orwell's vision has become a reality. My 15 year old could set up tele screens and web cams in every room in my home. You can't walk from one end of Broadway to the other without being recorded every step of the way. Our cell phones can be tracked by gps. Our cars have black boxes that monitor engine speed and brake timing. Voice type is a reality etc.

However, we have something much more important. We have the ability almost limitless to communicate with each other. Facebook and social networking and access to information. It is that very technology that gives us an edge in avoiding the very horrifying world of 1984
    Agree. !984 is a paranoic express that never happened and will never happen. Even chimps seem to know that.