Thread: Education

Education

When I first began reading 1984 i was confused as to where Orwell was taking us. As I have started to read ahead in the book, I have connected many of the points Orwell was trying to get across, into the society that we live in today. One of these points being education.All through the book you see the party making absurd rules, regulations and statements. Members of the minstry of truth are forced to change history everyday. All of this done just to control/fool the people. In my opinion George Orwell is trying to stress the importance of education.Education is the key to life.In the book the party takes all these actions to keep the citizens unaware. The more uneducated the citizens are the easier it is to manipulate and control the people.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter/jumper View Post
    When I first began reading 1984 i was confused as to where Orwell was taking us. As I have started to read ahead in the book, I have connected many of the points Orwell was trying to get across, into the society that we live in today. One of these points being education.All through the book you see the party making absurd rules, regulations and statements. Members of the minstry of truth are forced to change history everyday. All of this done just to control/fool the people. In my opinion George Orwell is trying to stress the importance of education.Education is the key to life.In the book the party takes all these actions to keep the citizens unaware. The more uneducated the citizens are the easier it is to manipulate and control the people.
    It seems like an upsidedown argument. If on the one side you are going to propose that the uneducated are easy to control, you must also see that in that diarrhealectics, the ones who do the control are the educated. If nevertheless, you are willing to praise education, then you must trust that the educated will do a good job at controlling the uneducated. If so, what's the problem?
    The truth of the problem comes to light when you see that the biggest disasters in history occurred when the control was in the hands of the educated, easily controlled by maffias that knew well what their mental parameters were and how to tickle them in the direction they wanted.
    It is the educated that are easily controlled. At least far easier than the constsantly changing and evolving prolific animal.
    For progress to be optimized, education must fall as a premise and substituted by knowledge. That's what's happening. But if you look at where knowledge is most abundant, you'll find out that it is away from educational institutions. 1984 could only be true where educatuonal institutions try to control beyond their means.
    Last edited by cafolini; 11-01-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Indeed, education is important for people to learn and know what is happening around them in terms of technology, society or politics. but sometimes this same education is manipulated to propagate an individual's or a group of individual's interests, as the party does in 1984.