Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Tumble dryers:

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay!

11 57.89%
  • Aye.

4 21.05%
  • Nay.

4 21.05%
  • Who cares?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Dryers: Aye or Nay?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Tumble Dryers: Aye or Nay?

I am quite torn where tumble dryers are concerned. I wish we did not have to use them at all because they feel like an absolute waste of energy but I am not sure how one can survive in the UK without one.

What are your thoughts on this?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I have one, trying used on cotton items. The things do not want neighbour and world see. Mostly put thingd on the rad to dry or few hours outside then quickly in dryer.
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

Account closed.
    Yup, try living in Scotland and not using one! Avoid it whenever possible, but a necessary evil for me....

What do you use in place of a tumble dryer?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    I have a pretty big laundry room so I hang everything up, don't have a tumble dryer. I have heard though that it's good when you have a dog cause it removes all the hair, but I haven't tried so I don't know. so nay for me
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I have a dirty beagle and the hair is awful. The drier is very helpful in keeping black clothes clean.

Blog Entries
    Aye, there simply isn't room enough in the winter to do without.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

There's absolutely nothing like dryer-warm sheets and blanket in the winter.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    They're great when you wash a tissue that was secretly hidden in a pocket. I use mine all the time and consider it one of my few luxuries in life.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Generally nay, but right now it's a definite aye! This apartment would be permanently subtropical, if we didn't have a tumble dryer - at least, I think that's what we've got. None too sure about this strange English equipment. ;-)

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bunch of dratted button munchers and lint spreaders if you ask me. There are stand up dryers that make more sense (because they work better - because they work) are a lot 'neater' tech than tumblers. When I was forced to use one I'd but off the non-essential washing until it was an absolutely perfect day to dry them.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I only use the tumble dryer for bedding - something that absolutely has to be dry and ready for the evening. Everything else, I prefer to let dry naturally - makes for easier ironing that way too...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I like the old wooden clothes horse too but I'm done with washing lines - except for towels and jeans.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

I don't have a dryer, just a washing machine. Whenever I wash laundry, I just set up a laundry rack and hang the clothes to dry. It does take up some space, but so would a dryer... And a laundry rack is only there in your way for one day at a time, not always.

My mother has a dryer, and especially towels feel much better after they've been in a dryer. If you let them dry naturally, they feel awfully rough at first. Dryer also removes some lint, which is good.

As long as I live alone, I probably won't ever purchase a dryer. If I'm ever going to have children, it would probably come in handy, though, when there would be much more laundry to do.
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Blog Entries
    Aye - need 'em wth a family and the wetness of the UK. We can wax lyrically about the merits of breeze dried garments and wind soothed bedding, but, without a tumbler, it won't happen here in winter. I've brought in towels off the line in winter when they've been hung out and they're just frozen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast