Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Jobs nominated for iMessiah!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Would you look at the back of that Xbox 360 of yours and tell us where it's made. Never mind, I have the answer: http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/17/xb...made-in-china/

Enjoy your games and please leave the discussions to the adults.
    How very humourless of you (aka: duh!). Why do you think I DELIBERATELY undermined myself by pointing out that I was playing a Microsoft product, you dolt? Consider your "this person is able to recognize an offhand jest" status hereby revoked.*

*Note: the latter sentence was intended to be what those of us who don't take ourselves seriously to the point of neuroticism call a "joke."
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 10-29-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    You are mistaken. Those are your words, not mine. I was only stating a fact, an FYI for the poster who singled out Apple — whether out of bias, self righteousness or ignorance — when pretty much every PC is made in China using the SAME factories.

Would you look at the back of that Xbox 360 of yours and tell us where it's made. Never mind, I have the answer: http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/17/xb...made-in-china/

Enjoy your games and please leave the discussions to the adults.
    I "singled out" Apple because the thread is about Apple and its CEO, Steve Jobs. "Ignorance, bias and self-righteousness" had nothing to do with it. Thanks for the attitude though. Much appreciated.

Just because other companies do it does not make it ok. Children returned to their parents or not, Apple still has their products manufactured under often horrendous, sweat shop or near swear shop conditions, when they could be employing Americans for a fair wage. The loss of the manufacturing base is a major concern for that nation's economy. So when I see every media report lionizing the guy, singing his praises to the heavens, I merely think it relevant to point this fact out.

Of course its not his fault. If Jobs hadn't done it he would have been fired by the Apple shareholders.

Would you prefer if I condemn all outsourcing CEOs across the board, not just Jobs? All right. Consider them hereby condemned.

As far as what I myself do... I don't gratuitously consume. I buy mostly secondhand. And if there was a computer available that was made under fair working conditions I would purchase it.
    Last edited by Darcy88; 10-29-2011 at 03:33 AM.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Juniper, you have my sympathy. Your problem is covered by the MB Principles for the Conduct of Internet Debate, of which these are four (of a dozen or so):

1) Never self-deprecate. People too insecure ever to do it themselves will find it impossible to believe you're not serious and will use it against you.

2) Never, under any circumstances however tempting, employ irony. Many of your correspondents, tragically, were born without irony receptors and they have no more chance of understanding you than a sardine has of coming second in the Tour de France.

3) Despite (2), never demean yourself by resorting to the use of smilies. It doesn't help really. It's the equivalent of chucking a tricycle overboard in the hope that a passing sardine will develop some vague idea of how to tackle the Mountain Stage.

4) Never make a serious point with a humorous metaphor. Po-faced people will engage you in argument about the metaphor, rather than the point.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 10-29-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    2) Never, under any circumstances however tempting, employ irony. Many of your correspondents, tragically, were born without irony receptors and they have no more chance of understanding you than a sardine has of coming second in the Tour de France.
    Losing the ability to employ irony or sarcasm in a conversation is like losing a limb. I'm with you, we need a font.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 10-29-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Juniper, you have my sympathy. Your problem is covered by the MB Principles for the Conduct of Internet Debate, of which these are four (of a dozen or so):

1) Never self-deprecate. People too insecure ever to do it themselves will find it impossible to believe you're not serious and will use it against you.

3) Despite (2), never demean yourself by resorting to the use of smilies. It doesn't help really. It's the equivalent of chucking a tricycle overboard in the hope that a passing sardine will develop some vague idea of how to tackle the Mountain Stage.

4) Never make a serious point with a humorous metaphor. Po-faced people will engage you in argument about the metaphor, rather than the point.
    My main problem with these is that by following them, you're lowering yourself to the lowest common denominator, rather than forcing them to raise themselves higher to keep up.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Haha, I think Haunted has been thoroughly pwned.

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Unless of course Haunted was being ironic...

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~

This thread is now closed.

(I am sure everyone knows why so I will not waste your precious time with a long explanation.)

~
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123