Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who has more sense of beauty? Men or Women?

Of course personality is “cultivated”. Indeed, for those with reasonable sensibilities, it is cultivated to a far greater extent than one’s appearance.

There is beauty in motion because there is a beauty in functionality. The beauty (to compare humans to other animals, as is perfectly reasonable since both are animals) of a lion or a cheetah is not fully realized until you see it running. Fluidity and grace are beautiful – repose is simply boring. Wouldn’t you rather see a cheetah running down a gazelle than sitting in its cage in a zoo?

The “beauty” of Beau Brummel was in the confluence of personality, mannerism, and appearance. He was, of course, a phony and a poser, but that was his style and he did it well. It was Brummel who said, “If people turn to look at you on the street, you are not well dressed.” He recognized that dressing well involved avoiding calling attention to your clothes.

Brummel did share your aversion to fat people. When snubbed by the Prince of Wales while riding through Hyde Park, Brummel turned to the Prince’s companions, who were also friends of Brummel’s, and asked, “Who is your fat friend?”

Brummel died of syphillis.

Blog Entries
    I know there is some banter going on here, so excuse my interruption.
    I do believe that beauty is not a major concern for many men and women. Especially people that live an average life, dealing with everyday concerns. People just don't have time to care. I also think it is a by-product of a young crazed culture. When I was younger, I dressed the part of a girl out of NYC. People looked and I loved it, but not now. Does that mean I'm fat and wear overalls- no. But I'm not going to spend an extra 15 minutes doing hair when I could be doing laundry or playing with my son. So I guess my ideas are that it is about the younger people, men and women.

Blog Entries
    not all young people spend so much time making themselves prettier, my brother was just yesterday saying how funny it was that when I was 16 to 18 I woke up 5 minuets before my mom drove me to school, I just got dressed and brushed my teeth and got out. I have never spent much time grooming myself and I don't care if that makes me look uglier or whatever, this is the way I look.

Also I am not a fan of a lot of make-up, putting on a face that isn't really yours just because you think it looks better, no way, same goes for the push-up bra.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    I do believe that beauty is not a major concern for many men and women. Especially people that live an average life, dealing with everyday concerns. People just don't have time to care. I also think it is a by-product of a young crazed culture. When I was younger, I dressed the part of a girl out of NYC. People looked and I loved it, but not now. Does that mean I'm fat and wear overalls- no. But I'm not going to spend an extra 15 minutes doing hair when I could be doing laundry or playing with my son. So I guess my ideas are that it is about the younger people, men and women.
    Jersea,

But you're married. It does make a difference. It's just an observation but divorced women (and men, yes, less it be brought to my attention) lose or try to lose weight fast. Is it because they will be back on the single's market? Yes.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Jersea,

But you're married. It does make a difference. It's just an observation but divorced women (and men, yes, less it be brought to my attention) lose or try to lose weight fast. Is it because they will be back on the single's market? Yes.
    Of course, the fact that people lose weight after divorce cannot be due to the fact that it is an emotionally and psychologically turbulent period in their lives... Not to mention the fact that they might end up having to move out of their comfort zones; ie, having to do more work both at and out of the house.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    I agree. I also view beauty in much boarder sense that just physical beauty. Well, it would be sad to limit beauty to the physical appearance as beauty enriches our soul. We feel shift of energy in our bodies when we see happiness on a child face, beautiful nature, paintings, poetry, dance, and...... much more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Of course, the fact that people lose weight after divorce cannot be due to the fact that it is an emotionally and psychologically turbulent period in their lives... Not to mention the fact that they might end up having to move out of their comfort zones; ie, having to do more work both at and out of the house.
    That also would contribute, in varying degrees, but I was talking about the sense of beauty. I know divorce is turbulent from first hand experience and I woudn't be insensitive about how stressful it can be.

Woman love diamonds, Luxury & mirrors. Vanity

Men love competition, Money & sex. Greed.

That's your answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCool View Post
    Oh please, I'd like to be able to call myself a woman. Not all women are like this.

Men love competition, Money & sex. Greed.

That's your answer.
    Now that this debate's been settled, I'll close this thread, shall I?
    ~
    ~

What's with all the labeling and trying to fit people into neat boxes. I love cosmetics and jewelry and bubble baths and cute gorgeous shiny things. I also love pumps and motors and furnaces, and absorption towers and distillation columns. You can't make me make me choose. I won't choose.
    Last edited by papayahed; 10-20-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: forgot about the shiny edit#2 because I don't know how to spell
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Now that this debate's been settled, I'll close this thread, shall I?
    From where I come from, I find this to be true. You may have a different opinion but so do I. I never said all but in general. Makeup is a form of vanity. War is a form of competition. So are sports. Money drives most men and woman want a man who can provide them with luxury. This goes back to basic needs of the sexes. A man provides so a woman can have babies. Basic stuff if people would open their eyes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    What's with all the labeling and trying to fit people into neat boxes. I love cosmetics and jewelry and bubble baths and cute gorgeous shiny things. I also love pumps and motors and furnaces, and absorption towers and distillation columns. You can't make me make me choose. I won't choose.
    ...you had me at distillation column..sigh.

From where I come from, I find this to be true. You may have a different opinion but so do I. I never said all but in general. Makeup is a form of vanity. War is a form of competition. So are sports. Money drives most men and woman want a man who can provide them with luxury. This goes back to basic needs of the sexes. A man provides so a woman can have babies.
    So, men are never vain about their looks and women are never competitive?
    Basic stuff if people would open their eyes.
    Too "basic" for those of us who are used to think "complex", perhaps?
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    I'm not divorced, so I really don't know. All my friends are married. All the girls lost the baby weight and got on with it. We look nice for work and that's it. So in a sense, yes, there is no impressing anyone. But I already made this point, that we live in a youth crazed culture. I think that anyone who is just divorced is not looking to get back on the market fast, but you are divorced so you have been down this road. I think divorce is a very painful process that takes a long time to heal from. And if someone is looking to get back on the market fast, they are not being healthy and dealing with the loss, whatever...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast